IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What causes "Watermelon" Chambeyronia?

DoomsDave

Everyone goes a bit wild over these.

I have a very nice "Watermelon" C. hookeri, which  caused spasms and unscheduled loss of liquid to some garden visitors, till the Hamann garden stole the thunder with, I recall, at least three. (I treated myself to a spasm or two.)

I also have  a number of other Chambeys with Watermelon markings.

Below is a picture of the trunk of my C. hookeri, on the left in the background, taken by @Pando. Another picture is of my plant, taken by me.

@LJG indicated he has some Watermelon Actinokentia.

I've never seen one as a small plant; seedlings always seem to develop the markings later, in my limited experience.

The markings somewhat resemble the "flames" in "broken tulips" which spawned Tulipmania in Holland. Unlike the virus that affects tulips, this doesn't seem to hurt the palms (assuming it is a virus.)

Perhaps there's a virologist out there who might have some thoughts.

iWJfJJR.jpg

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.2fd6f971dba7941ac5204

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a picture of some broken tulips, by a Dutch Master. I think.

11TULIPS-blog427.jpg

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Could it also be genetic variation? I have the watermelon trait to some degree in most of my Chambeyronias. Does that mean they are all infected with a virus? Seems somewhat odd. My largest and most vividly marked Chambey has set seeds. Can anyone tell me what % will show watermelon traits and what will be "normal"? Does the watermelon trait show over a spectrum? What color are the seeds when ripe?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Just now, PalmatierMeg said:

Could it also be genetic variation? I have the watermelon trait to some degree in most of my Chambeyronias. Does that mean they are all infected with a virus? Seems somewhat odd. My largest and most vividly marked Chambey has set seeds. Can anyone tell me what % will show watermelon traits and what will be "normal"? Does the watermelon trait show over a spectrum? What color are the seeds when ripe?

They turn red when ripe, the fruits do.

Seeds from virus infected plants are not infected "at birth" as it were, but might get it later.

Assuming it's a virus.

Don't want to upset anyone.

Dave - I have heard it theorized that a "Watermelon" Chamby may be the result of a cross between the Green form and the Yellow (Hookeri) form. This would explain a lot. But I know of no actual data to support that theory, or if seeds of Watermelons produce watermelons. Could be a thing like the blue eye brown eye gene (or Mendel and his peas) - if you remember your genetics from biology class - dominant and regressive genes (or some combination thereof) - so only passed on to the second generation, and then only occasionally.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I asked Collin Peters about this when I bought some seeds from his.  So far he hasn't had any feedback from his customers regarding the traits of the seedlings from his tree.

Jon Sunder

Supposedly there is a dramatically marked trunk form of Chambeyronia (the "true" watermelon)  which has no red leaf.  Purportedly from a reserve deep inside New Caledonia and seldom offered.  I bought 10 seeds, got 10 plants and went crazy with a group planting of 9!  So far only the lack of red leaf is evident! But, still years away from trunking so cannot yet answer your question re genetics!

54 minutes ago, richnorm said:

Supposedly there is a dramatically marked trunk form of Chambeyronia (the "true" watermelon)  which has no red leaf.  Purportedly from a reserve deep inside New Caledonia and seldom offered.  I bought 10 seeds, got 10 plants and went crazy with a group planting of 9!  So far only the lack of red leaf is evident! But, still years away from trunking so cannot yet answer your question re genetics!

Lordy, I think I have one!

Look close and you can see the green new leaf. It went mottled as soon as it started trunking years ago. It was planted from a 15-gallon in May of 2003.

2DF68AAF-CAE1-42A7-BEAE-C7F8D2E6E4FE.thuBD9698F0-8E78-45CA-8616-859F32E09834.thu621F7F86-DCAC-4B09-A625-C774D9832222.thu9782DECE-342C-4998-93FF-982D467FB025.thu

5BEBD57C-F146-4C33-91D7-DD6CC96A464A.jpeg

• Upvote 3