Designing with Palms - my new book

18 posts in this topic

Hello, fellow palm enthusiasts,

My new book, Designing with Palms, has been released and is shipping now! The book is about the many ways that palms can contribute to a beautiful landscape.
After 30+ years of being a member of the International Palm Society, and five years of working on the book (with lots of help from IPS members), I'm very excited to share it with everyone who loves palms and gardens. My photographer colleague, Caitlin Atkinson, and I photographed and learned about gardens on the Big Island of Hawai`i, South Carolina, Miami, Key West, Naples, Broward County, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Caitlin's photographs are beautiful. 
The publisher is Timber Press, who brought out the Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms by Robert Lee Riffle, Paul Craft, and Scott Zona.
I will have copies to sell so please get in touch if you would like a copy -- and I'm glad to sign them if you would like that.
I will be doing slide lectures in the SF Bay Area this spring, and I hope to be announcing events beyond the Bay as well -- Southern California, South Carolina, Florida -- and maybe Texas and Louisiana and the Pacific Northwest, too. Let me know if you've got ideas for where I should present.
The first event is at City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco on March 14, 2018, at 7pm.

Thanks,
Jason Dewees

FacebookShare.jpg

045_palmetum1510_12624_CA_DUP.jpg

061_bancroft1510_12521_CA.jpg

092_union1504_012_CA.jpg

Edited by JasonD
Grammar

Congrats! What an accomplishment!

David

I have my copy already.  This is a great book !  :greenthumb:

I am ordering a copy, I'm working to become a licensed architect, but i want to do landscape design so I think I'll find this book very useful!

@JasonD  Looks like this would be an outstanding read, and I'll be getting a copy.  Let us know if you do a lecture/signing in Florida; especially Tampa or Orlando.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy.

Just got my copy! Fantastic job!

I love books (and palms) so just ordered this one! if it gives me just one workable suggestion or saves me from one planting mistake it will be well worth the cost. Thanks!

Received my book this weekend. Great photography. Really pretty. Thanks!

Just got my copy and started reading some today.  Very nice work!  I like looking through the book for landscape ideas already.

Just got a copy, great work!  Beautiful photography and very well put together!

On 3/10/2018, 2:22:36, Josue Diaz said:

Just got my copy! Fantastic job!

Thank you!

On 3/14/2018, 4:30:26, ChrisJordanDDS said:

Just got a copy, great work!  Beautiful photography and very well put together!

Thanks so much!

On 3/12/2018, 5:55:04, kinzyjr said:

Just got my copy and started reading some today.  Very nice work!  I like looking through the book for landscape ideas already.

Many thanks!

On 3/11/2018, 3:38:46, Tracy S said:

Received my book this weekend. Great photography. Really pretty. Thanks!

Thank you!

On 3/10/2018, 4:51:45, Cindy Adair said:

I love books (and palms) so just ordered this one! if it gives me just one workable suggestion or saves me from one planting mistake it will be well worth the cost. Thanks!

It was great to meet you in Colombia.

Hello folks,

I'll be doing a slide talk about my book tonight, July 9, at 6pm at the San Diego Horticultural Society meeting in La Jolla. The charge is $15 for non-members, free for members.

Tomorrow night, July 10, 2018, I'll be at the Sherman Library and Gardens in Corona del Mar, near Newport Beach, at 7pm. Free admission.

Come say hi!

Jason

Posted (edited)

Jason, 

Out of curiosity how is this book tailored?

I'm new to palms, but I'm also in a warm 8a cold 8b. So I don't have a lot of the palm options that many folks have here on palm talk enjoy. Is the book grouped into say, Cold hardy Palms for landscaping, then perhaps sub tropical, then tropical sections? 

I'm certainly interested in your book, especially since my wife and I are having a house built next year. We purchased a few acres and very much want to create a tropical look. Especially since we have moved from nearly the tundra two years ago. 

For now I've pretty much been just lurking in the background learning what I can grow and what I can't, but putting it all together into a landscape is a chapter I haven't even scratched. 

Cheers

-RJ

Edited by RJ