IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Portland (Ore.) Train Station Palms

lthanlon

I had a several-hour layover at Portland Union Station last month and was fascinated that a number of palms are thriving in front of the station. Anybody know what type of palm these are?

IMG_2464.jpg

Edited by lthanlon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This species of Trachycarpus, the common Japanese Windmill palm (T. fortunei), is cold hardy to about 7b.  One of mine in NJ (Zone 7ish) was zapped by a January that was 6 degrees below the average (which is around 32 F.).  Another, smaller one that was covered by a black plastic, garbage can (since uncovered), looks fine.  Even the  cold zapped ones can rebud a spear after a loss as long as there are still some green leaves in the crown. I poured Hydrogen peroxide in the center and am hoping for the best.  These same palms resent high heat, so you will still strongest grown in cooler weather and a slow down in high heat (which triggers most palms into more growth).  If you can keep moisture out of the crown over the winter, that would be a major help. If my big guy pulls through, I will wrap it to keep out moisture during future Winters.  Oregon Winters are largely mild enough that they would not need any protection in the western parts of the state. This is palm of subtropical to temperate regions..., not so much the tropics.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oasis371 said:

This species of Trachycarpus, the common Japanese Windmill palm (T. fortunei), is cold hardy to about 7b.  One of mine in NJ (Zone 7ish) was zapped by a January that was 6 degrees below the average (which is around 32 F.).  Another, smaller one that was covered by a black plastic, garbage can (since uncovered), looks fine.  Even the  cold zapped ones can rebud a spear after a loss as long as there are still some green leaves in the crown. I poured Hydrogen peroxide in the center and am hoping for the best.  These same palms resent high heat, so you will still strongest grown in cooler weather and a slow down in high heat (which triggers most palms into more growth).  If you can keep moisture out of the crown over the winter, that would be a major help. If my big guy pulls through, I will wrap it to keep out moisture during future Winters.  Oregon Winters are largely mild enough that they would not need any protection in the western parts of the state. This is palm of subtropical to temperate regions..., not so much the tropics.

We have long hot and humid summers and the only time they were unhappy was when they werent watered properly. I thought it was heat stress, but infact I missed a day or 2 of watering. To give you an idea we have 45+ days over 90 with humid subtropic humidity for several months to add to it. What they truly hate is sand...and nematodes. Despite that there is one thriving at the beach here that ill hopefully get an update on in a month or so.

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

They do just fine in high heat, at least of the dry variety.  No worries there.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

19 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Neither Northern California or Maryland are located in the tropics.

They are fine with season heat and humidity but seem to peter out under conditions of constant heat and humidity (as in South Florida).http://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com/palms/documents/TrachycarpusFortunei.pdf

Ah, got what you are saying.  "The Tropics" is a very different thing than "high heat." 

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The problem they have in Florida(even north florida) is sand and nematodes. But I'll at least admit they are not tropical trees and not ideal for true tropical which we have spec of in se Florida. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Hawaii is tropical, I heard that they (the few that are grown there) do pretty good under canopy. I would think up in the mountains there they would thrive. They like water! They are a zone 8a palm but can survive in some 7b climates, normally near the coast, in "micro-climates," or if they are sheltered.  

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Well getting back on topic, Trachycarpus are in "heaven" in the pacific northwest. They are seemingly the ideal location for these palms to grow, so its no surprise seeing them in Oregon. But still very cool!

I LOVE the genus Trachycarpus!

My comment on there limitations in truly tropical climates was limited to the species 'fortunei'. I do not know if there are more

'tropical' species.   I used to grow lactisectus and martianus but those were not not as robust as fortunei in my experience.