IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One gallon planting day

quaman58

Hey all,

i had a short day of work today, so I made the mistake of stopping by Jungle Music palms , which got me fired up about Spring planting. I picked up 3 small palms for future planting (Copernicia bailyana, Dypsis lucubensis & Ptychosperma liniaris).. Got home, had one brew too many & suddenly palms in my own nursery area were calling out to be planted. Soooooo, here goes. First, a couple NewCals: a (hopefully) watermelon Actinokentia planted at the base of a Chambeyronia, and a Clinosperma bracteale in an area with filtered light, good soil & a nearby dripper..

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

Edited by quaman58
  • Upvote 9

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

An acanthophoenix rubra, with big sister in background & a long tortured Chameadorea costaricana finally liberated from its one gallon pot.

• Upvote 2

Bret

We're going to get whacked with some cold...think most of California is.  Hope you will avoid it.  I am just hoping to avoid a freeze!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Finally, a Pritchardia lanigera & a Dypsis pilulifera; thanks for looking!

IMG_2133.JPG

• Upvote 4

Bret

Bret, your taste in palms is matched by your taste in beer.  That Duet is Really good !  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

Hey Ben, 

yeah, heard about that. But all these plants have been outdoors for a year or more. So, fingers crossed!

Bret

3 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Bret, your taste in palms is matched by your taste in beer.  That Duet is Really good !  :greenthumb:

Thanks Darold! I'd love to share a couple with you sometime; IPAs are a real treat when they're done well. My palate needs the hops, but not too much. Oh yeah, the palms. Sorry, I got distracted!

Bret

29 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Hey Ben, 

yeah, heard about that. But all these plants have been outdoors for a year or more. So, fingers crossed!

Projecting 2 nights at 32 here...record cold for this late in the year!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

26 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Projecting 2 nights at 32 here...record cold for this late in the year!

Brrr.... that is cold.  While I heard that we make get some light snow dusting in the local mountains, our day temps drop, but in the coastal areas, we actually warm over night.  Its the clear nights here when we hit our coldest overnight temps.

58 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

all these plants have been outdoors for a year or more. So, fingers crossed!

Bret, I'm betting with you.  I actually spent the day putting out fertilizer because its been such a warm winter.  You were close to my neighborhood today.... just a couple miles north and a few streets west of Jungle Music.  Nice selections you are planting too!!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

agreed 100% with that statement Darold

cheers!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

24 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

agreed 100% with that statement Darold

cheers!

You all are so damn bourgeois.  I'm on my usual regimen of Lemmy videos and cans of Miller Lite here! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On 2/17/2018, 5:26:13, quaman58 said:

Hey all,

i had a short day of work today, so I made the mistake of stopping by Jungle Music palms , which got me fired up about Spring planting. I picked up 3 small palms for future planting (Copernicia bailyana, Dypsis lucubensis & Ptychosperma liniaris).. Got home, had one brew too many & suddenly palms in my own nursery area were calling out to be planted. Soooooo, here goes. First, a couple NewCals: a (hopefully) watermelon Actinokentia planted at the base of a Chambeyronia, and a Clinosperma bracteale in an area with filtered light, good soil & a nearby dripper..

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

Those watermelon Actinokentia came from me. I have about 10 larger ones in 5 gallons that some are showing the markings. Not sure they all end up with the watermelon markings, but I know some will. Glad to see you planted one in the ground as I have not yet. 

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Their roots will be warmer in the ground rather than in their containers. Small enough to throw a prophylactic blanket over. Planting them was probably the right thing to do in my opinion. 

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

7 hours ago, LJG said:

Those watermelon Actinokentia came from me. I have about 10 larger ones in 5 gallons that some are showing the markings. Not sure they all end up with the watermelon markings, but I know some will. Glad to see you planted one in the ground as I have not yet. 

5 gallon size? Get with the program Len. No easy life greenhouse for my palms, no sir. It'll thank me some day... Seriously, glad they're starting to "show". That would be a killer look.

Bret

4 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Very nice! Please post updates as they grow.

Such a good feeling to plant trees, isn't it?

Especially the small ones Cindy!

Bret

5 hours ago, Moose said:

Their roots will be warmer in the ground rather than in their containers. Small enough to throw a prophylactic blanket over. Planting them was probably the right thing to do in my opinion. 

Is this true?

Matt, I think so. I always assumed the ground takes longer to change temperature.

• Upvote 2

Bret

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Is this true?

i think so. warmer in the ground then in a pot above ground

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 2/19/2018, 10:53:41, Matt in OC said:

Is this true?

Yes. I wrapped/covered my small in-ground red spicata coconuts during our last two cold blasts in Jan.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

22 hours ago, Josh-O said:

i think so. warmer in the ground then in a pot above ground

Yes, warmer in the nights, but during the day the pot could be warmer than the ground.

My pots in Winter in a sunny day are a litle bit hot.

And not only the temperature, with pots is easyer to control the moisture in the soil. In Winter the ground could be too Cool and wet and this is big problem for tender palms.

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Great info, thanks. But if the ground is warmer than pots, why not plant in the winter?

I'm speaking for this particular instance of seedlings planted in already-warm ground followed by a unexpected cold front. In last month's cold fronts in FL I moved all my potted seedlings indoors because I knew that the cold would not only attack their foliage, it would affect the soil in their pots even though I turn off all irrigation before the front arrives. FL ground warms up during our dry winter days but CA ground does not during your normal chilly, damp winter. Covering newly planted palms with blankets and towels gives them a better chance than sitting around and fretting.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here's my take Matt. In our area, we get the rain in winter during the cold. But a lot of what we grow comes from places that get rain during the warmer growing months. Combine that with the fact that our soil (at least mine) is denser & drains much slower than potting mixes that I use. So, I'm always a bit afraid that I'll get root rot, during times when the palm is not growing much, but rather sitting in a dense cluster of cold mud for weeks on end. At least the potted ones can breathe a bit better while they're hunkered down for the cold months. Just my 2 cents...

• Upvote 1

Bret

11 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Here's my take Matt. In our area, we get the rain in winter during the cold. But a lot of what we grow comes from places that get rain during the warmer growing months. Combine that with the fact that our soil (at least mine) is denser & drains much slower than potting mixes that I use. So, I'm always a bit afraid that I'll get root rot, during times when the palm is not growing much, but rather sitting in a dense cluster of cold mud for weeks on end. At least the potted ones can breathe a bit better while they're hunkered down for the cold months. Just my 2 cents...

I used to think February 1 was a safe planting date for San Diego. Based on what we are experiencing I may have to move my planting date back to March 15....

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

On February 17, 2018 5:34:55 PM, quaman58 said:

Finally, a Pritchardia lanigera & a Dypsis pilulifera; thanks for looking!

IMG_2133.JPG

Looks like you're well on your way, to having a full set of Pritchardias!

Steve! Yeah, trying to get the "grand slam". Great to see you posting again. How grows the garden?

Bret

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Steve! Yeah, trying to get the "grand slam". Great to see you posting again. How grows the garden?

Thanks, Bret.

Why not a few pictures!

I really like my Sabal.  Big and bossy.

IMAG1745.thumb.jpg.cefa5e6fad70e67f5af9a

I only have one Pritchardia.  I think that it's a Hillebrandii.  This was from last fall.  That was 3' tall, 2 years ago, when planted.

IMAG1657.thumb.jpg.709fc0ceafacb79cda008

But since were on the topic of one gallon plants, here's a few contenders:

Corypha utan:  Sprouted 2-3 years ago.  Unprotected.  Would have had a few more leaves, but got a fungal issue with a poorly draining pot.   All but maybe one of the leaves are new, since then.  These both have a lot of cinder in the soil.

IMAG1682.thumb.jpg.ba116e944537b4918b780

Dypsis?:  You gave me this a few years back, as one of those 2.5 in cube liners.  Some clumping dypsis seeds that Bill A. gave you?  This just sits in the shade alongside.

IMAG1681.thumb.jpg.57c6696b52c76717b3b35

Edited by The Steve
  • Upvote 2