IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ian Edwards collection to Wollongong botanic gardens

palmtreesforpleasure

Hello all, 

Many of you will remember Ian Edwards from Cronulla in Sydney, his always helpful advice and  sharing of his knowledge and he and Norma's generosity in sharing seeds and seedlings. 

Ian was former director of IPS and traveled extensively with his wife Norma in the past,  visiting  palms in habitat, visiting palm persons all over the planet and attending IPS meetings.

Before he passed away he re mapped their collection as he and Norma wanted it to live on after them. So for a few years before he passed, plans where made for the relocation of much of their collection.

Last Monday, after day of digging and drinking lots of water, (Norma kept thankfully bringing us the cold water) a small truck load went to Wollongong botanic gardens and we planted them out on Friday, 4 Chamaedorea species came to my place at Ian and Norma's request. Garry Daly, who some will know (not on any palm group) is helping me with the digging, next trip some bigger palms as well will be moved and will get some extra muscles to move them.

We did not want to move them during the cooler months so Norma has been hand watering them through the last 10 months due to lack of rain, she is amazing and at 91 is still doing her morning swimming laps.

When my time comes my own collection will be moved also. It would make Wollongong botanic gardens one of the biggest known public collections of Chamaedoea.

Hopefully, by the then RBGS will have just as many.

As rare palms produce seed they will be shared with Sydney botanic gardens and distributed to others. Sydney BG has had a lot of cleaning up in the palm gardens, more walkways through them , you can easily see any species now. Lots of planting out in the last 2 years. that will slow down now the stockpile in the nursery is nearly all planted out.

Garry did some numbers over the weekend and the WBG garden now had 260 species in 4 years. Over 1000 palms with more of Ian and Norma's collection to be moved in. Some other

species will be arriving from Queensland next month. Now that the WBG Palmetum is beginning to get a canopy under story planting has increased.

Would like to thank all of Ian's family for their generosity and support. Ian and Norma's wish and mine is for all to think of their collections and have a plan for what should happen to it when you pass away.

Even donate some your collection before you pass.

Had no time to take pictures but will take some and post here 

And by the way, i have no intention of leaving the planet for a long time :-)

Without the ongoing  support of Paul Tracey, former Curator of the WBG and the fantastic, helpful staff there, none of this would be possible so a big thanks to them.

regards

Colin

• Upvote 8

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

That's great news, Colin.  Palm horticulture owes you an immense debt of gratitude for your tireless efforts.  :greenthumb: 

San Francisco, California

Glad to see that Ian's outstanding collection will live on as his legacy at WBG. Great work Colin...there is nothing more upsetting than seeing a good collection bulldozed by a developer or new homeowner with no appreciation for palms.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Walking through Ian and Norma's garden was like going through the botanic gardens.

I'm glad that it could be saved.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.