IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Scarred" Christmas Palm Crownshaft

fernonvernon

The Christmas Plam on the property I've been renting dropped/shed a pair of fronds in pretty quick succession (within a couple of weeks of each other).

The second dried-out quite rapidly, and dropped earlier today.

The new/underlying shaft's uniformly green except for this odd scar/tear down one section. 

IMG_0658.thumb.JPG.1d851b2a1719aacae6c29

At the risk of being a nuisance about this sort of thing (i.e. overreacting?)... I'd sincerely appreciate any feedback regarding what this could be/mean from someone whose had some experience w this palm variety. 

Thanks 

Edited by fernonvernon
  • Upvote 1

Is that discoloration or a crack? I can't tell from the photo...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

This crack may have occurred due to a growing spadix  underneath, that will be revealed after more fronds have fallen.  Can you detect a bulge in the crownshaft elsewhere, perhaps on the opposite side from the photo perspective ? 

San Francisco, California

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.2b101261255d4e52486ef

There does seem to be a bit of "unevenness" (bulginess?) roundabout 90ish degrees from said crack. Not sure if this qualifies...

The palm'd been hinting at new growth (spear-wise) for a while, and up until a couple of days ago I was somewhat anxious re if/when the spear'd spread at all. Looks to be doing so now actually (not included in the above photo of course).

Am still a bit concerned seeing as how a third fronds beginning to brown now... wondering if anyone's seen this sort of thing before (3 fronds in roughly a month accompanied by new growth). I sort of realize the overall rattiness might have a lot to do with certain deffincies (have sought to remedy this by ordering some PalmGain) 

Pardon me, but it seems that this palm has had a hard life, with insufficient water.  Compare the leafbase scars on the lower trunk (at the very bottom of the photo) to the ones near the crownshaft.  This reduced spacing is a sure sign of inadequate irrigation in a young palm.  :)   Archontophoenix are thirsty palms.

Palms will do this later in life regardless of water levels, I have a 32 year old Ceroxylon with now much-reduced intervals.

My bad, is this palm an Adonidia merrilli ?  (not Archontophoenix)   Same advice, more water.

I'd never really paid close attention to the spacing of scars (top-->bottom or bottom-->top).

Does seem to tell a/its tale.

The "state" of the house/garden when we began renting the place would suggest a side order or two of neglect. Not that it was bordering on abysmal, but it'd been unoccupied/under renovation for at least 4 months beforehand, and there's no telling how diligently things were being tended to in the garden.  

Thanks for pointing a couple of things out. Am somewhat hopeful I can salvage this palm, assuming the 100 degree summer I've been told to expect doesn't ransack the ragged thing (am rather amazed it's survived this long here) .

The guy at the nursery nearby did point out that this was a particularly old(ish) Xmas Palm, so I guess the intervals are to be sort of expected.

The more/closer I look at the scar-spacing the more I notice a semi-abrupt shift taking place somewhere along the way (assuming I'm not reading too much into the lines/in-between). Perhaps there's some intersection between the interval/shift and when it was brought here/transplanted.

Will definitely heed the advice re-watering. 

Edited by fernonvernon