IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarkia nobilis in central, inland CA

Josue Diaz

This seems to be one of those species that thrive in our heat, and seem to do well - at least for the long periods between hard freezes. I wonder why it hasn't caught on like it has in southern California. 

Here is a bismarkia in @xvang01 's amazing palm garden in Southeast Fresno. 

Screenshot_20180215-232125.thumb.jpg.89c

• Upvote 9

Are the bizzies self-cleaning or do the leaves perpetually attach to the trunk like the washies?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

30 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are the bizzies self-cleaning or do the leaves perpetually attach to the trunk like the washies?

On mine at least, the leaves and boots detach and fall off soon after yellowing. Mine has about two feet of woody trunk. Before full diameter trunk formed, the stems held on longer. 

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

On mine at least, the leaves and boots detach and fall off soon after yellowing. Mine has about two feet of woody trunk. Before full diameter trunk formed, the stems held on longer. 

Good to know. Thanks Jim. Love the color on the bizzies. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I would love to know where the red color of the leaves comes from. I have two Bs, one small that was always red, and another one of the dimension somewhere between the two pictured above, it came quite silver and turned red too, already before the cold season started.

Tomas

Jim D.'s is much nicer.

The red is a juvenile trait that will go away.  This one had it and no longer does.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 weeks later...

My Dana Point Biz.  Was a small 5 gallon form Kevin Weaver about some 15 years ago.  All the fan palms in this shot have gone off nicely while all the pinnate underneath are slow but steady.

There is an "Old Man" palm down around the 5:00 point.  R. Baueri at the 7-8 o'clock and 2 others that are too small to see.

IMG_7939.JPG.d06e1fa675eb0e402ad858873b0

• Upvote 3

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Looking great guys, so nice they are doing so well in Ca. Bismarck is spectacular at almost any age.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These should be nearly impervious out there. There are a number of trunking plants around here that have survived multiple nights down to 20. If they manage to pull through after this last freeze they are really something, as I think a lot of the queens that survived last year are going to give up the ghost this go around.

To my knowledge, the "holy grail" central valley Bizmarkia's are out on a farm near Shafter, CA near the now closed Nickel Palm nursery.  They survived the 2007 freeze.  I posted pictures of them here sometime after the freeze.  From Google maps, it looks like they are still there, but they are too far out of the way to go and check up on.  Bizmarkia should be fine in central valley heat islands.

I am down to one now and it defoliates in the low 20's F, even under frost cloth, but always recovers.  Hopefully, it will gain enough mass to out grow this soon.  I wish I could get seeds from the Shafter palms with some hardy genetics.  Obtaining seeds from a hardy source would be the key for growing in 9A. 

I would not plant another one in a prime location however.  I am slowly minimizing plants that need protection from my front yard.

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Robert, do you have the contact info for Phil Nickel?  He telephoned me about a year ago, I might still have his number somewhere. :D

San Francisco, California

54 minutes ago, iwan said:

To my knowledge, the "holy grail" central valley Bizmarkia's are out on a farm near Shafter, CA near the now closed Nickel Palm nursery.  They survived the 2007 freeze.  I posted pictures of them here sometime after the freeze.  From Google maps, it looks like they are still there, but they are too far out of the way to go and check up on.  Bizmarkia should be fine in central valley heat islands.

I am down to one now and it defoliates in the low 20's F, even under frost cloth, but always recovers.  Hopefully, it will gain enough mass to out grow this soon.  I wish I could get seeds from the Shafter palms with some hardy genetics.  Obtaining seeds from a hardy source would be the key for growing in 9A. 

I would not plant another one in a prime location however.  I am slowly minimizing plants that need protection from my front yard.

I remember seeing those many years ago, maybe around 2009. It was just before nickel palm nursery closed.  What's the address Iwan? I might be able to get us some updated pictures...

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I remember seeing those many years ago, maybe around 2009. It was just before nickel palm nursery closed.  What's the address Iwan? I might be able to get us some updated pictures...

They were not at the nursery.  If I recall correctly, it was his brother's place a mile or two away.  Those Bizmarkia have been down to at least 18F.  Pictures might be in the freeze damage section.

Darold, I haven't talked to Phil just since before the nursery closed.  I may have an old number somewhere (if he did not change it).

Robert

9A

Here are the Shafter, CA palms referenced in the Freeze Damage section.  Looking at the pictures, I suspect that those Bizmarkia will no longer be visible to the public without trespassing.  From google earth a few months ago, they appear to still be alive.

Climate info for these palms is third party.  These palms are ~1/4 mile from the Nickel Palm Nursery near Bakersfield.  Phil Nickel reported temps at his nursery were 15-18F for several days with extended periods of freezing over the last three weeks.

photo64.jpg

Closeup

photo71.jpg

The smaller one

photo68.jpg

• Upvote 1

Robert

9A

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have good seeds or seedlings they want to sell. I will play for them and shipping. 

Thanks so much.