IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How "Rare" Is Your Palm Garden?

PalmTreeDude

How "rare" is your palm garden for your area on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being not rare, for example a ton of common palms planted in your area and 10 being extremely rare with many rare palms to your area)? Mine is about a 7 I would say, FOR MY AREA, The only "typical" palms that I have that even not many others plant here are Needle Palms and Windmill Palms. The rest are 2 Butia capitata, 1 Washingtonia robusta, 5 Mediterranean Fan Palms (suckers), and a ton of randomly scattered Sabal palmetto seedlings (still alive!). 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

For my NorCal area I'd have to say "10." There are maybe ten or twelve palms common to my area and a few less often seen ones. 150+ species filling every nook and cranny of my landscape would qualify it as rare. There are a few other great "10's" in the Bay Area to drool over. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

There is a lot of competition with rare plants on Hawaii's Big Island, so I will rank my garden at a 6 or 7 -- above average, but definitely not in the elite circle for my area. I have more than 100 species and well in excess of 300 palms, but relative to other gardens here, at 8 years old, mine is kind of a "newbie" garden.

The rarest palms in my collection are Voanioala gerardii (2), Lemurophoenix halluexii (3), Dictyocarium lamarckianum (6), and Tahina spectabilis (2). At least I think these are the most rare. :blink:

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oahu dosen't seem to have quite the rare stuff that the big island does yet. So not counting Lyon arboretum and Hoomaluhia , I've got a rare collection. Probably an 8

Two Marojeji darianii, 5 Lemurophoenix halluexii, one 25 gallon Tahina, some of the rarest Pritchardia in the islands, 8 Areca red macrocaylx.  one big fat Dypsis carlsmithii, one big fat Dypsis robusta,100 Chamadorea genomoformis, as boarder. Dypsis leucomala, Orania trispata Licuala sallehana, etc etc all packed into my small garden.   

• Upvote 1

I would say, 9 for my garden,

the only red leafbase Geonoma undata (3 plants), Ceroxylon parvifrons 15 feet of trunk, Ceroxylon quindiuense 30 feet of trunk, 3 in-ground Lepidorrhachis, 6 Rhopalostylis with 10 feet or more of wood trunk. 5 Hedyscepe, (2 fruiting) Several trunked Howeas, both species, Cyathea medularis, 14 feet of stem.

Can't be a 10 because my garden is not aesthetically attractive in the manner of Jim's.  too many large plants jammed too close together, not enough attractive companion plantings. Oh well,  :unsure:

Geonoma undata, raised planter.JPG

R. sapida 'Chatham Is.' (Medium).JPG

Palms 008.jpg

IMG_1925 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

San Francisco, California