IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planted out two Cycas revoluta x debaoensis

Josue Diaz

I planted my two C. Revoluta x debaoensis today - one on either side of the front walkway. It'll be fun to track their growth over the years. 

I bought them two years ago from Kevin Weaver as single leaf seedlings. 

20180213_161832.jpg

• Upvote 6

Looking good! I saw a large one of these at Jason in gainesville's house and it was beautiful!

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

10 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

C. Revoluta x debaoensis today - one on either side of the front walkway. It'll be fun to track their growth over the years

Nice selection.  You should get a great combination of cold hardiness with the revoluta, and yet a more tropical look with this hybrid, plus the boosted growth from "hybrid vigor".  I've seen some nice more mature examples in person, and don't think you will be disappointed.  The examples I've seen were quite "full", so the only challenge may be keeping a hole down your front pathway eventually; but hey, who is going to complain about having to trim something back?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

17 hours ago, Tracy said:

Nice selection.  You should get a great combination of cold hardiness with the revoluta, and yet a more tropical look with this hybrid, plus the boosted growth from "hybrid vigor".  I've seen some nice more mature examples in person, and don't think you will be disappointed.  The examples I've seen were quite "full", so the only challenge may be keeping a hole down your front pathway eventually; but hey, who is going to complain about having to trim something back?

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These are fast growing plants and they get pretty big. 

20160814_181820.jpg

20161125_110954.jpg

Amazing size on these! I'm starting to think I should move these back a foot or two

6 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I'm starting to think I should move these back a foot or two

You could move them back from the walkway, or alternatively, you can keep them trimmed to just the newest flush to keep them more upright.  The ones in the photo which are in pots adjacent to the house are large and coning, but would fit fine into your spot with just the one upright flush.  I'm doing this with some of my large green Encephalartos so they don't spread beyond where I need them to be contained (E. laurentianus for example).  Besides, you have some time before they get that large to reconsider.

• Upvote 1

65F7C15B-FCF4-4B60-87D0-D635FA938615.jpe

I acquired this revoluta x debaoensis one from someone here on palmtalk last year. This picture was taken before the transplant. If I remember I will try and take a picture of it now. Since I removed a lot of the leaves it’s not much to look at. 

They transplant very easily so if u decide to move yours down the road you will be fine. I like where you have them planted. A plus is that the leaves don’t have nasty thorns like some of the other cycads. 

• Upvote 3

As others have indicated, these are fast growers. For me, I get 3-4 flushes per year.

Looking forward to seeing this cycad grow up.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I absolutely love this hybrid. I got one I'm trying to find a spot for and I think this thread helps. Seems they get pretty big and are cold hardy. Hopefully they handle hot sun well like I have. 

2 hours ago, Sr. Califas said:

Josue, any updates after a year and a half in the ground?

Yes! my two in ground shrunk. A LOT! My third in the greenhouse is massive. 

I'll get pictures soon.

13 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Yes! my two in ground shrunk. A LOT! My third in the greenhouse is massive. 

I'll get pictures soon.

They shrunk?

On 2/14/2018 at 5:46 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These are fast growing plants and they get pretty big. 

20160814_181820.jpg

So have you considered crossing these with something else like C bifida or micholitzii?  The hope would be that you might retain the hybrid vigor and some of the cold tolerance of the revoluta while encouraging the complex leaf.  That would be my suggestion but then again I may be under the influence of Herr Franken-cycad.

Bifida has proven to be the most cold tolerant of the bidfed cycas. We crossed quite a few things with bifida this year including Cairnsiana. 

On 8/29/2019 at 6:25 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

They shrunk?

Yeah, i think it was the combination of full sun exposure and less water (although they never have gone dry, my soil is almost purely sandy loam and doesn't retain a lot of water.) One also was chewed at the caudex by squirrels and took months to recover. i think they are now [FINALLY] well rooted and will likely grow like they should. 

20190830_183700.thumb.jpg.95190a87125d525318607aeddf0b203a.jpg

and this is the one that was chewed on by squirrels. 

20190830_183815.thumb.jpg.9c48a1f05d825548a56ea8e2dfd7f663.jpg

• 1 year later...

I’ve got one currently in a pot. I want to place it in my back yard but saw a picture recently of one four meters across! Granted it was grown in Thailand and I shouldn’t expect that kind of vigor in NorCal. But I like the idea in this thread of pruning it back after a flush. Might try that. Also good to hear they transplant easily.

I have several planted out here in Central FL.  I have Rev x Deb and Panzhihuaensis x Deb from TCHP, they have been growing well if given enough water.  The one in my front yard is in a "high and dry" area and probably isn't getting enough water.  I can agree with the "easy to transplant," at least as 2-4" caudex plants.  I've moved several of them, and they don't seem to mind at all.  I am sure it set them back a little bit, having to grow new roots and all.  But they kept on flushing and looked healthy above ground, so it seems they are not particularly fussy.  I also recently bought Rev x Diannanensis and Taitungensis x Deb, which could also be neat crosses.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I have several planted out here in Central FL.  I have Rev x Deb and Panzhihuaensis x Deb from TCHP, they have been growing well if given enough water.  The one in my front yard is in a "high and dry" area and probably isn't getting enough water.  I can agree with the "easy to transplant," at least as 2-4" caudex plants.  I've moved several of them, and they don't seem to mind at all.  I am sure it set them back a little bit, having to grow new roots and all.  But they kept on flushing and looked healthy above ground, so it seems they are not particularly fussy.  I also recently bought Rev x Diannanensis and Taitungensis x Deb, which could also be neat crosses.

What are the widths on yours? Contrary to what others have indicated my rev-deb has vicious spines on the petioles. Out of curiosity last night I went in to feel them and I can confirm they are sharp as hell and ready do some damage if not fully respected lol.

6 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

What are the widths on yours? Contrary to what others have indicated my rev-deb has vicious spines on the petioles. Out of curiosity last night I went in to feel them and I can confirm they are sharp as hell and ready do some damage if not fully respected lol.

The leaflets are soft and feathery, but yeah the petioles have vicious spines.  So do my other tall types like Debaoensis, Micholitzii, Simplicipinna, Bifida, Multipinnata.  They will rip open skin easy.  Mine are still very small, only about 3' tall maximum.  It'll take several years for them to get the 6+ foot fronds, but I've planted all of them close to "people space."  I think they'll be fine as long as it's not easy to brush up against the petioles.  Two of mine are next to pathways, so I'll need to trim them up to keep them safe...er...or to keep me safe from them!

• Upvote 1