IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spotlight on Licualas

Cindy Adair

I am so glad I have the climate and the space to indulge my enjoyment of so many palm genera! However if forced to choose, Licualas would be high on my list of favorites. 

Recently I dug out paths among the regrowth of tree fern foliage and bananas, to plant some shade loving palms in hurricane challenged Puerto Rico.

On a separate topic I can try to convey the steep terrain I reclaimed so as to keep some treasured palms near my house. Here's a preview:

DSCN7503.thumb.jpg.ca1da74f1ed9355611eba

DSCN7508.thumb.jpg.2b4078dfd73a69d982721

For this topic I will highlight some palms finally in the ground and I will add others as I continue the clearing.

First my one and only L. cordata.

DSCN7555.thumb.jpg.0d219a2fb5e30e6f5ac44

Please add portraits of your own Licualas (or photos you have taken elsewhere) as most books only show a fraction of available species.

Palmtalk has many previous topics, a few of which I reference below. Feel free to add links to others here as well. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Licuala khoonmengii

DSCN7556.thumb.jpg.71da87bc637057cc2ff62

Licuala sallehana

DSCN7559.thumb.jpg.1c7ecae44c2bfe67c4155

Below gives an idea of the slope and shows L. cordata, khoonmengii and sallehana together.

DSCN7562.thumb.jpg.5c349396b955b544feb4b

To be continued...

• Upvote 7

Cindy Adair

Man that is a beautiful landscape to work with!!!

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

34 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Man that is a beautiful landscape to work with!!!

Yes, it will take awhile longer for the island to recover, but I still love it here.  No way could I afford such property anywhere else in the U.S.!

So nice to meet you at the Aroid International Show earlier this month. 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

37 minutes ago, palmad Merc said:

That soil looks absolutely beautiful:greenthumb:

I am blessed that a serrated trowel is my go to tool for digging holes. The top layer is the best with all the decomposed plants blown down by the hurricane. Clay primarily underneath, but with the steep slope in this area I am hoping drainage won’t be too much of an issue. 

Oh, I do have lots of flat sunny areas but flat shady areas are far from the house after the loss of lots of big trees.

I am working to replant canopy which of course can now include more sun loving palm trees!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Licuala peltata v. sumawongii (aka Licuala elegans) was badly scorched while potted up and is now growing much better in proper conditions.

DSCN7469.thumb.jpg.93de875fe63c24384f36d

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

I second the beautiful soil comment! Beautiful Licualas also! It is nice to see real soil instead of pure sand.

Edited by Palmaceae

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Awesome collection of rarities! Licuala are so elegant and fascinating! This is the first flowering of a L peltata v sumawongii on Kaua'i 

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

• Upvote 3

That is certainly a beautiful photo of a gorgeous palm! 

Thanks again to all for the comments and keep those Licuala photos coming. I will add more as I plant them, rather than posting shots of my remaining ones in pots.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Here is a picture if my Licuala grandis. Obviously not very old, but I guess for NYS where I am told it is to dark and dry during winter months to grow anything other than chamaedoreas, I'm doing pretty good. I saw your other post about rebuilding your garden and I think it is spectacular. You definitely take time to stop and smell the roses. Glad you are able to come back stronger and better.1518640532773-92218611.thumb.jpg.e2d1e24

• Upvote 1

Like your taste in palms, @Cindy Adair! Stunning piece of paradise (in spite of Irma/Maria!) and stunning little palms! They should surely thrive in that gorgeously rich looking soil! 

And @Kokioula, love your photos of that amazing inflorescence! It almost looks like ‘jewelry’ on an already beautiful palm! :wub:

• Upvote 1