IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow from early January in North Carolina

Cahenry

This isn't normal here. The Pindo palms look the worst but I have been told they should be okay. I hope so.

IMG_20180104_070627.jpg

IMG_20180104_090901~2.jpg

Edited by Cahenry
Add tag
  • Upvote 5

Those photos were not taken on Monday, were they?  

NC is a 7a/7b depending on the area.

I have a sibling who just recently moved to Greensboro. In December.... Lord, I remember him asking me "Alex, do you think a coconut palm will do well in NC? "

Gee willikers, I had to be terribly honest with him.  He has sent me pics, almost daily of the climate there. Hence  I know the snow ceased a while back (in Greensboro, at least). 

Enough reminiscing, I don't think you'll have a problem with your Pindo palms.

And yes, what happened in NC is a freak accident. Seems the previous one was in 1899..

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hey, thanks for your reply. We're supposed to be in zone 8a in our little pocket of the state. I'm pretty sure that was a Thursday. My son and daughter-in-law we're supposed to fly back to Colorado (where they hadn't had snow like that yet) the day before. They couldn't fly out until Friday. We had a full week of below freezing temperatures and that's really unusual. The Pindos look pretty brown now but with a couple years of good growth and milder winters I'm hoping they will be back.

That reminds me of winter times many many years ago...

Here in Germany we hadn't had real snow since November 2017, but this was also only a 2 cm coverage for one or two days..

Hope your plants survive.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

3 hours ago, Cahenry said:

Hey, thanks for your reply. We're supposed to be in zone 8a in our little pocket of the state. I'm pretty sure that was a Thursday. My son and daughter-in-law we're supposed to fly back to Colorado (where they hadn't had snow like that yet) the day before. They couldn't fly out until Friday. We had a full week of below freezing temperatures and that's really unusual. The Pindos look pretty brown now but with a couple years of good growth and milder winters I'm hoping they will be back.

The Pindos should come back. I have some here in Virginia (way colder than where you are) and they turn completely brown every Winter, but when it comes Spring they start to regrow. I protect them on the coldest nights with just some burlap, but I did absolutely nothing to them at all this Winter. I am on the border of zone 7a/7b. 

PalmTreeDude

On 2/14/2018, 1:31:19, GottmitAlex said:

Those photos were not taken on Monday, were they?  

NC is a 7a/7b depending on the area.

I have a sibling who just recently moved to Greensboro. In December.... Lord, I remember him asking me "Alex, do you think a coconut palm will do well in NC? "

Gee willikers, I had to be terribly honest with him.  He has sent me pics, almost daily of the climate there. Hence  I know the snow ceased a while back (in Greensboro, at least). 

Enough reminiscing, I don't think you'll have a problem with your Pindo palms.

And yes, what happened in NC is a freak accident. Seems the previous one was in 1899..

there is some 8a and a little bit of 8b by the southern coast.   sabals and pindos thrive as well as euro fan palms and w. filibusta do pretty well south of surfiside beach.  there are even a few trunking canary island and mejdool date palms near the sc boarder 

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2018, 1:41:52, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

there is some 8a and a little bit of 8b by the southern coast.   sabals and pindos thrive as well as euro fan palms and w. filibusta do pretty well south of surfiside beach.  there are even a few trunking canary island and mejdool date palms near the sc boarder 

North Carolinian here! The coastal plain of NC is zone 8a/8b while the Outer Banks is zone 8b/9a. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

30 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

North Carolinian here! The coastal plain of NC is zone 8a/8b while the Outer Banks is zone 8b/9a. 

Objectively, what is the zone for the western side of the State? Let's say, yonder west of Charlotte.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

West of Charlotte ranges from 5b to 7a with some 7b spots. A good mess of western NC can get downright cold!

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

18 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Objectively, what is the zone for the western side of the State? Let's say, yonder west of Charlotte.

oh anywhere west of Charlotte is much colder.  @kinzyjr explained it really well. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

11 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@GottmitAlex

A mix of 7a/7b west of Charlotte.

From USDA here: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

2018_nc_usda.jpg

Thank you!! I pretty much knew it ( Greensboro, where my brother just moved to) is a 7b place (at best).