IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

indole-3-butyric acid IBA

Subwoofer

I've read true some topics on this forum about iba and naa, but cannot find an answer whether it works and if so howmuch ppm too use on palms and seedlings...

I would like to use it to help growth process in my short summer climate...

Also i was thinking too use it as a rooting product by diluting it in water.

Who can give me more info and help?

Thank you!

It seems to elongate seedlings. I tried it with a lot of seedlings years ago and it was a lot of time and effort for very minimal gain. 

IBA and NAA are very effective rooting hormones (both auxins) part. the former. I routinely use Clonex gel on bare root palm seedlings and have never had any negative side effects over a 15 yr period; quite the contrary. I think people soaking seedlings in SuperJive at high concentrations may have had weird results down the line...there are other things in this brew (B vitamins?) that in combination appear to produce chimeras when some plants are overdosed with it.

You may have better luck with GA3 sprayed at 100-200 ppm if you want to experiment with faster elongation in a <11 hr daylight environment.

As @stone jaguar mentioned, IBA and NAA are hormones. Correctly applied, they induce root growth, because they make the palm "think" that its root system is too small. In cooler climates like yours and mine, auxins are especially helpful when planting cold hardy palms in your garden, because they help them establish roots quickly during our short summers.

According to my experience, the effective dosage for palms is actually very low, only about 1ppm, i.e. 1 milligram per liter. The substrate should be almost dry when you apply it close to the trunk, where palms grow all of their roots. You only need one application typically in spring. If your palm shows root damage, you can apply it a second time after a few weeks. Once the palms are established after 2 or 3 years, no more auxin is required.

Frank

Powdered rooting compounds in the US are formulated at 0.01 to 3.00% IBA. Clonex gel at 0.31%, so 3,100 ppm. No idea as to guidelines for NAA, but one product here combines with IBA at 5,000 ppm. Hamal’s recommendation of a solution of 1 ppm (IBA?) seems extremely low when compared to rates commonly used as rooting agents in horticulture.

Still not clear why you would choose to explore auxins over gibberillins to “substitute” for short summer? I assume you know experimentation with these products may produce unwanted results. I would start off with very low concentrations and gradually try higher doses after 60 days or so.

@HamalHamal thank you, thats a good measurement to give me an idea where to start.

@stone jaguarjaguar can you tell me what gibberellin does and why it would be better to start with, can't find alot about it...

Btw the stuff i would buy comes from ebay and is about 99% pure...

Gibberellic acid or gibberellin (GA3) causes stem elongation in plants. I am not sure what treated palms would look like. Most likely it will also lead to some instability of the plants.

The only way I have ever used GA3 is to shorten the dormancy of seeds that require stratification. Actually, if you apply GA3 to the seeds, there is no need for stratification at all. However, the effect on palm seeds is negligible, because they need not be stratified.

Frank

@Hamal

@stone jaguar

I think i'll try and start with the 1mg iba on 1 liter.

Maybe one more question, i have 2 trachys planted for 2 years and they havent moved one inch, because these were low budget they have only 1-2 leafs left now. I would like to give them a boost in spring, do i need to wait for certain temperatures? And is this a good idea or not?

Btw i'm not able to remove the @ responds too, in these messages :d

Yes, you will have to wait until the ground temperature reaches 15-20 degrees Centigrade. The warmer the better. And remember, you need to water with the IBA solution after a period of no rain. The substrate/ground must be reasonably dry for this to work.

Frank

GA3 as a foliar spray at 100+ ppm can be a useful tool in ornamental horticulture to increase the length of internodes in plants and inflorescences (e.g. in orchids) where they are "stacked" too closely as well as to induce flowering in recalcitrant plants and - simply put - to chemically "mimic" longer days. In commercial agriculture I have used multiple apps of GA3 to break dormancy in primocane-bearing raspberries early in the season. Hamal is correct that many growers use it as a seed soak, but published reports suggest that it produces etiolated seedlings when used on ungerminated palm seeds. I would trial with care, but would expect a single, low concentration foliar application made mid-spring in northern Europe to induce a vigorous leaf flush within a couple months. Under benign tropical or greenhouse conditions, you would probably get unwanted results like long rachises and wide interspaces between pinnae.

Again, 1 ppm of IBA seems exceptionally low to me, but whatever works for you I suppose. FYI, this is 50-100x lower than a base concentration of IBA for TC transplants in a lab setting, rather than one suitable for field/garden use. I have treated thousands of delicate, bare-root tropical palm seedlings with Clonex gel at stem base at many multiples of even this concentration over the years and would say one still needs patience and excellent growing conditions to note positive results at 3000 ppm.

Again, please remember you can damage plants with phytohormone applications if you overdo it.

I've allready ordered the water solluble iba to try (easy to make)|and i could not find the ga3...

After some searching i found they use between 1000 and 4000 to root date palms.

First 2 links: https://www.google.be/search?client=tablet-android-asus-rev&biw=960&bih=600&ei=0C6DWpEFoYGABvWoszA&sjs=16383&q=ppm+iba+palm&oq=ppm+iba+palm&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...2307481.2308680..2309023.......111.451.3j2............mobile-gws-wiz-serp.......33i21j33i160.CmGsUgd4Wrs%3D

I think i'll start early summer with 100ppm, than weekly 1000, 2000, 4000... Untill i see growth appear on my stunted palms.

I still have problems calculating howmuch this is in g/l (i get a 80mg spoon with it)

Yes, this is within the one time application range that I have been discussing for Clonex gel.

Conversion should be based on 1 gm pure IBA in a lt/1000 ml of distilled water = 1000 ppm solution, so 1 gm in 10 lt = 100 ppm and so forth. GA3 powder not water soluble. You'll need a single gram measurement spoon or a digital lab scale to make up your drenches.

You may want to rethink the wisdom of weekly applications of ever-increased concentrations of IBA starting in the summer. By the time you may see any new root initiation (~50-60 days), you will have applied at least double the high end rate. What happens if you don't see any results by the time you've passed the first app @ 4,000 ppm after about a month?

Thanks, starts to make sence now ;)

Yes, you're right, i will let 1 month in between, to be safe!

Edited by Subwoofer