IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An easy Chamaedorea ID for someone.

Steve Mac

We got it a few years ago as an unidentified Chamy, it has grown very fast.

I just found the seeds today, the first lot, we didn't see it flower or the apparently nearby male.

There are some similar/same others nearby but we didn't see them flower either, they are hidden in the middle. 

I thought that it was going to be a nationsiana or woodsoniana but apparently not.

It is more sheltered than it looks. it is quite big over 12' high and that was the only seed spike.

P2120013.thumb.JPG.a9c579dcbd3b8e7aa8ce1P2120020.thumb.JPG.b5ab3aefb903a27d184e7P2120018.thumb.JPG.c9923ee11055520b8320a

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

No, not tepe, we have other tepe, this trunk is darker green, the leaves are much bigger, longer and broader, also the leaf scars on the tepe are more deeply stepped, this trunk is more smooth straight down, and the leaf scar is less obvious. The long leaf veins are prominent on the top, the tepe has a raised mid leaf vein underneath. The fruit are quite large like a big olive.

P2130033.thumb.JPG.b1c02487c106033ea830d

This is the tepe trunk with stepped leaf scars.

P2130035.thumb.JPG.efc2bb04d53ebb19f8cc5

This is another the same as the fruiting one I think it is the male, we have 4 of these unknown Chamys.

P2130034.thumb.JPG.35769e57034f4223ce2c6

Another leaf heavily shaded.

P2130030.thumb.JPG.5b7f077f9a7c567d78fe9

This is next to a Ch. woodsoniana on the left for comparison.

P2130031.thumb.JPG.367f138e51acc176a0a45P2130032.thumb.JPG.da0d5bd69acd30a3a8ada

The trunk is about 2" diameter, 1' of clear trunk, 2' of crownshaft, 6' of leaf, with 3' or more bare leaf stem.

P2130028.thumb.JPG.2be42995006405abd3d52 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

Look, I am going to keep on taking pictures until someone realizes that they have one and tell me what it is. :D

Here are some more clues, It is big, it is reasonably fast. I don't know what it is, but I am sure that someone with Chamys does know.

I said earlier that the seed was like a large olive, correct that to...  just like an olive.

Colin where are you? It was one of your 'trash or treasure' I don't know what it is giveaways, from a few years ago.

It seems to grow too easily to be uncommon, but it may be a hybrid? 

P2130014.thumb.JPG.cf3c950ab32ab9f4da93eP2130016.thumb.JPG.b9bacc97a66b6dabf4c55P2130017.thumb.JPG.cd70d3e051c7ee8369a66

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

A form of Chamaedorea alternate

Regards

Colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Whoops

C.alternans

and grown in deeper shade, the ones grown in much more light have much more seed in my garden

20170714_100220.jpg

20170714_100257.jpg

20170714_100157.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Another picture of the alternans

20180115_130307.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks Colin, 

Yes, that is probably it, but probably have to wait until it flowers again to be sure.

Cheers Steve

Whatever, a lovely plant.  I'm all in favor of stuffing shady places in the yard with them (and suitable Florida native plants).  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hello Dave

I sent seed to to Jeff Searle a couple of years a go, he may have some

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Nationsiana?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, I don't think so, it is similar but I didn't think that the seeds were enough like a corn cob.  

Cheers Steve

Tricky call. I am very much inclined to agree with Colin, but also share the view that alternans is a subset of tepejilote. For sure there are tepes that are much closer morphologically to the palm shown than to the lowland “wild” populations. There is good work by Castillo Mont, et. al. in a recent “Palms” that starts to unravel a bit of the confusion surrounding the different forms of this taxon. Infls can be very variable between populations. 

Dave, as Steve says, nationsiana has a very distinctive infruct that resembles those of deckeriana and allenii but even more so.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys I shall add pictures of flowers as they appear and I am sure that all will be revealed.

Cheers Steve

5 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Tricky call. I am very much inclined to agree with Colin, but also share the view that alternans is a subset of tepejilote. For sure there are tepes that are much closer morphologically to the palm shown than to the lowland “wild” populations. There is good work by Castillo Mont, et. al. in a recent “Palms” that starts to unravel a bit of the confusion surrounding the different forms of this taxon. Infls can be very variable between populations. 

Dave, as Steve says, nationsiana has a very distinctive infruct that resembles those of deckeriana and allenii but even more so.

The alternans seem to flower a different time to tepejilote...my second stand of alternans is in brighter light and produces many more seeds for some reason...any comments appreciated

Regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia