IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 20th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 2nd, 3rd, 4th – 9th, 10th, 11th 2018 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

On 3/3/2018, 10:54:53, Missi said:

... in that same area was a palm with the black spikes on its stem. What palm is this? I completely forgot to take a look at the leaves. ...

... Aloe 'Hedgehog' named Ryan :floor: ...

... the nice couple from Ft. Myers/The Keys (can't remember their PT username(s)!)

IMG_1127.JPG

It was great to have so many Forum members at the sale. It is a fun time when you have so many palm fanatics together in one place. The palm with the black spines is an old Astrocaryum sp. that Jeff has had in that landscape area for a long time. It resembles an A. alatum, but I always thought it was a similar, but different species, Jeff would know for sure.

I think my spiky hair led to the naming of that Aloe...

The couple you met and were thinking about are the Glocks, Jim and Judy. They post on the Forum under the name jglock1. They are veteran enthusiasts and long-time collectors of the palm world, including numerous palm sales, other plant related events, Biennials, etc. They are die-hard plant folk and will travel extensively just to partake in even the smallest activity.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

A good portion of the plants named in the photo requests sold during the first weekend, but some are still available. Of that group, I have photos of most of them, as certain specimens were being 'looked over' as I was taking photos, so I skipped them thinking they might get purchased. I took these photos earlier in the day on Sunday when it was not so busy. I wasn't able to verify their presence at the end of the day, but I do not remember them being sold. Post a comment here or send me a PM, and I will double-check these plants during the week or any other species on the list...

- Licuala paludosa var. aurantiaca - 7 gallon - $125.00 - I know that L. aurantiaca was lumped in with L. paludosa, but I keep the name as a variety and use it to describe plants that develop the golden yellow color on the petioles and leaf bases. The plants are kept until they have grown long enough and large enough to know the coloration is stable, and to show more of it. The weeds are extra. I changed my mind on which one to do the up-close photos, as the apparent solitary specimen is kind-of unique, as they usually cluster, even if it is just a tiny bit.

DSC_0345.thumb.JPG.31ad295ff7368a590937dDSC_0346.thumb.JPG.7e897916114809301698bDSC_0347.thumb.JPG.18dff828d7ebabc91f925

- Kentiopsis oliviformis - 25 gallon - $400.00 - One specimen remaining, I do not know if Jeff has more to sell at this size. In the third photo, that figure walking past is Forum member Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms). He was looking through the collection behind the tape, possibly looking for something to try in So-Cal.

DSC_0348.thumb.JPG.939802bb0af84358147c4DSC_0349.thumb.JPG.9f87eee1456b097d90fb9DSC_0350.thumb.JPG.6c8da81463a495b2bb13aDSC_0351.thumb.JPG.25d3c4b4c383022a926c1

- Pritchardia remota - 25 gallon - $300.00 - A nice size for instant gratification.

DSC_0353.thumb.JPG.29ca94f2fdf6c79bf3336DSC_0352.thumb.JPG.3585d7f45dcb1b0f44382DSC_0354.thumb.JPG.e4973fbc350c74620c19a

- Cyrtostachys renda - 7 gal. - $300.00 - 10 gal. $650.00 - Only one 10 gal. and a couple 7 gal. plants left. I thought I saw one of the 7 gallon plants leave the shadehouse late on Sunday, but I am not sure.

DSC_0355.thumb.JPG.e0844c8f2f7ba2a08c811DSC_0356.thumb.JPG.3049d7264d0f86568c805DSC_0357.thumb.JPG.3b0b1ad46d227c51f9f52

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Schippia concolor - 3 gal. $30.00 - Three plants left, located out in the Full Sun Palm section next to the shadehouse, near the door.

DSC_0358.thumb.JPG.2442ca86922d835b5e4b5DSC_0359.thumb.JPG.ab9f922fd649f80555fc5

- Copernicia fallaensis - 20 gallon $1300.00 - The second one put out for sale, the first one was on the opposite side near the Full Sun area table. This one is right on the corner near the main road and the side entrance to the shadehouse.

DSC_0360.thumb.JPG.a34e6a4d8bdd119b99871DSC_0361.thumb.JPG.cdefb057170e210c48f29

- Johannesteijsmannia altifrons - 3 gal. $175.00 - One left, residing on Table 1, near the shadehouse sidewalk intersection across from the white tent.

DSC_0362.thumb.JPG.c58f88545e33a9b190e0fDSC_0363.thumb.JPG.7d659af022a25f3b8f974

If I receive more requests I will try and get them done by Friday, if the plants are available.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Id like to get one of those $300 Crytostachys but I can't make it down to the nursery until the 17th anyway that can be held that long for me? I'll pay for it now.

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

2 hours ago, Chatta said:

Id like to get one of those $300 Crytostachys but I can't make it down to the nursery until the 17th anyway that can be held that long for me? I'll pay for it now.

I have a few, so when you come down on the 17th, we'll take care of you. Thanks!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

19 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

The first weekend has now ended and I would like to thank all of you that came out and supported us. Sales are up, as many people were looking to replace hurricane damage palms. We had many PT members that came out and like Missy stated, a group picture would of been fun to do. I want to say, it was especially nice to finally meet Lisa and Missy. These young gals are super excited about their palm adventures, collecting, growing and learning.

Thank you for the very, very kind compliment, Jeff!  ^_^

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

Thank you for the very, very kind compliment, Jeff!  ^_^

Ditto! ^_^ If only we were closer...I'd be there every weekend volunteering (assuming you guys are even there on the weekends) and soaking in all the information!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Just finally home and catching up.. but I had a GREAT time meeting so many PT peeps! Missi, Lisa, Jeff, Tim, Ryan, Jim and Judy, Mike, Ron , Randy, Scott, Rob and I KNOW there are some others,  it was great to meet.. you "lurkers" know who you are.. Great weather and some of the most fun was riding around after the walkways were getting empty with Jeff, Jim, and Tim trying to get Jeff to let loose of some prizes... HILARIOUS fun!!

Thanks for all the fun and enjoy tomorrow and the weekend! 

PS- Thanks for Dr.Pepper hookup Ron!!

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎45‎:‎33‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Just finally home and catching up.. but I had a GREAT time meeting so many PT peeps! Missi, Lisa, Jeff, Tim, Ryan, Jim and Judy, Mike, Ron , Randy, Scott, Rob and I KNOW there are some others,  it was great to meet.. you "lurkers" know who you are.. Great weather and some of the most fun was riding around after the walkways were getting empty with Jeff, Jim, and Tim trying to get Jeff to let loose of some prizes... HILARIOUS fun!!

Thanks for all the fun and enjoy tomorrow and the weekend! 

PS- Thanks for Dr.Pepper hookup Ron!!

Bill, we all enjoyed your company tremendously. And yea, you guys were brutal on me trying to get me to pull more palms( against my will). Lol, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.