IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Updated Photos Of My Other In Ground Coconut Palms

Mr. Coconut Palm

Here are some photos of my other in ground coconut palms, with before and after photos of each one.  The first is my little Golden Malayan Dwarf, which surprisingly is my best looking one of my smaller in ground coconut palms, since they are usually not quite as cold hardy as the Green Malayans and some other varieties.

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

• Upvote 3

Maymex hybrid cross between what I think is a Golden Malayan Dwarf and a Mexican Tall before and after the winter of 2018.  This was my most exposed coconut palm to the north winds as it is in my backyard and faces west northwest.  But because it is a Maymex hybrid, I figured it would have faired a little better, especially better than my little Golden Malayan, which looks much better right now than this one.  Go figure!

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Cluster said:

The dwarfs have been the champs, especially the gold one =)

Yeah, Pedro, you are right, and Green Malayans, I think are definitely more cold hardy than they are given credit for!

John

Looking good John,  but your maymex is looking rough, hope it makes it. Still considering the winter you had they look good.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

7 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Looking good John,  but your maymex is looking rough, hope it makes it. Still considering the winter you had they look good.

Thanks, Randy.  Me too.  I think as of now, my Maymex is the only one I am in real danger of losing.  How have all of yours faired as of now?

John

11 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, Randy.  Me too.  I think as of now, my Maymex is the only one I am in real danger of losing.  How have all of yours faired as of now?

John

Mine are doing great, just some cosmetic damage. Some of my coconuts had basically zero damage. One of my green Malayans got hit the worst but certianly not bad. It looks bad to me as I want them all green and looking perfect :D but by summer you will not even tell anything happened.  Here is one of my maypans. 31 was my lowest temp.

I live in the NE part of Cape Coral so we are usually the "coldest" part of the Cape. I will have to take some more pictures at some point.

20180127_173438.jpg

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

Here is my green malayan, kind of hard to get a good picture of it. But you can see the damage, while my other coconuts have far less damage. It is funny as the one closet to the house and on the south side had the most damage but the one in my front yard facing north had very little damage. The fronds over the house had the most damage while the others just had minor damage. The one frond on the extreme right side of the picture is my yellow malayan which only one frond was damaged. It is almost like a cold pocket of air sat over this small section of the yard. The rest of the yard fared much better with little to no damage.

IMG_20180210_173517148.jpg

20180127_172953.jpg

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Here is my green malayan, kind of hard to get a good picture of it. But you can see the damage, while my other coconuts have far less damage. It is funny as the one closet to the house and on the south side had the most damage but the one in my front yard facing north had very little damage. The fronds over the house had the most damage while the others just had minor damage. The one frond on the extreme right side of the picture is my yellow malayan which only one frond was damaged. It is almost like a cold pocket of air sat over this small section of the yard. The rest of the yard fared much better with little to no damage.

IMG_20180210_173517148.jpg

20180127_172953.jpg

Randy,

They don't look too bad.  What is the palm in the last photo with the small nuts on it?  That is strange how the one close to the house and on the south side got more injured than the one on the north side.  Go figure!  It's like my little Golden Malayan faring better than my little Green Malayan and much better than my slightly bigger Maymex, which got fried as you saw in the pic.

John

12 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Randy,

They don't look too bad.  What is the palm in the last photo with the small nuts on it?  That is strange how the one close to the house and on the south side got more injured than the one on the north side.  Go figure!  It's like my little Golden Malayan faring better than my little Green Malayan and much better than my slightly bigger Maymex, which got fried as you saw in the pic.

John

John, thanks. The second picture is a green malayan, might have a cross in it. It did drop a few nuts from the cold.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎34‎:‎11‎, Palmaceae said:

John, thanks. The second picture is a green malayan, might have a cross in it. It did drop a few nuts from the cold.

Randy,

Still, it looks pretty good though, under the circumstances!

John