IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Green Malayan Dwarf At The End Of Winter 2018

Mr. Coconut Palm

Here are some photos of my big Green Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm at the end of winter, 2018.  It is early Feb. now, but I took the photos the end of Jan.  Normally, by the end of Jan. or first part of Feb., winter is over as far as temps in the 30'sF in my area.  It was approximately 14ft. tall in overall height before winter, with about 20" of woody trunk at the base.  It experienced 2 freezes of 27.1F and 28.5F last Jan., Hurricane Harvey in late Aug. (winds up to about 100 mph at my place), a 3" snowstorm on Dec. 8th, and a total of 6 freezes this winter, with the lowest temp down to 28.1F and numerous nights in the 30'sF and low 40'sF!  Considering all it's been through over the last calendar year, I think it is looking pretty good!  Last winter, I wrapped it with old blankets on really cold nights, and this winter, I wrapped the trunk in a set of small incandescent Christmas lights, covered by old sheets over the lights.  The lights were so small, that I don't know if they really made much difference, but it is what I had to use.  The first photo is how it looked just prior to the snowstorm, and the others how it looked the end of Jan.  The spear that was opening a while back, though freeze burned, continues to open, and the new spear, though also freeze burned, continues to emerge.

Image may contain: 1 person, plant, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

• Upvote 6

From what I have been told, and from what I have seen in photos here on Palmtalk, it looks better than a lot of them in Central Florida now, and they had fewer and less intense freezes than what I had here this winter.  I guess this goes to show you, that when you go 100% ORGANIC like I did with everything you grow, that even a cold sensitive Green Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm can have its cold hardiness increased by 2F to 3F, which can make a world of difference in successful growth and failure in marginal climates, like here where I live!

John

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

John, im very impressed.  Corpus was cold this year.  

Thanks, Joseph.  Yes, it was a very bad winter here.  I hope we don't have any more even remotely close to it for at least another 10 years!

• Upvote 1

Well done John, still you gave it a bit of protection, maybe those in central Florida dd not have the same care taking:) Still considering how cold it has been it shows that good nutrition did pay off, I am sure some years ago without your current experience they would have all gone:)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Cluster said:

Well done John, still you gave it a bit of protection, maybe those in central Florida dd not have the same care taking:) Still considering how cold it has been it shows that good nutrition did pay off, I am sure some years ago without your current experience they would have all gone:)

Thanks, Pedro, I think you are right, and this goes to show people, that the Green Malayan especially is at least a little more cold hardy than they are given credit for, especially when they are well established and have some size to them.  Also, GOING 100% ORGANC like I did, I think definitely gives them an edge too, as well as any cold sensitive tropical tree or plant, by increasing their cold hardiness by 2F to 3F, which makes a world of difference in successful growth in areas where a given plant is considered marginal.  Also, there is the factor that here in South Texas, where Coconut Palms are exposed to more cold and chill on an annual basis than those in Central and South Florida, I think this causes ours here to develop a certain degree of resistance to cold and chill over the ones in Florida that do not routinely experience as much cold and chill on an annual basis as ours do over here!

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 1

Your palm looks good! Some damage can be seen months later after winter is long gone. I’m only saying that because I had coconut palms look perfect after an extreme cold event and months later the crown died. I would treat it just to be safe. Again it looks pretty healthy, but it’s better to lean on the what if, rather than the do nothing, as I did and lost my palms. My coconut palms had no damage this year.  Not sure about Central Florida but we had nothing cold enough to cause damage to the fronds. 

David

6 hours ago, Davidl said:

Your palm looks good! Some damage can be seen months later after winter is long gone. I’m only saying that because I had coconut palms look perfect after an extreme cold event and months later the crown died. I would treat it just to be safe. Again it looks pretty healthy, but it’s better to lean on the what if, rather than the do nothing, as I did and lost my palms. My coconut palms had no damage this year.  Not sure about Central Florida but we had nothing cold enough to cause damage to the fronds. 

Hey David,

Thanks, I did my best to take care of it and my other smaller ones, including treating them a couple of times with Bonide Organic Copper Fungicide.  I did that again today, and will spray them in a week or so with Medina Hasta Gro Lawn 12-4-8, to help them recover from Potassium deficiency.

John

P.S.  By the way, where is Moore Haven, FL?

12 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hey David,

Thanks, I did my best to take care of it and my other smaller ones, including treating them a couple of times with Bonide Organic Copper Fungicide.  I did that again today, and will spray them in a week or so with Medina Hasta Gro Lawn 12-4-8, to help them recover from Potassium deficiency.

John

P.S.  By the way, where is Moore Haven, FL?

Moore Haven is on US-27 on the west side of Lake Okeechobee just a little before Clewiston.  Been through it a few times on my way to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Looking good.  Especially for the harsh winter we had. Thankfully that now seems to be over, at least here in southwest central FL gulf coast.  My lowest here was 35F, but Im right on water. St Pete got down to 31.  The beaches near 32/33.    Cocos here generally look good.  The ones at the beach appear to have more burn on lower fronds that goes further up the crown.   The ones right next to me look totally unfazed at all.  Same with the Dypsis Lutescens here.  Near me and most places hear water not much burn. North and inland just a bit, burnt tops.    Outside of Pinellas and into tampa the burn on some palms is far more pronounced as they went down into the upper 20's for several nights for 2-5 hours each night.   They called it the worst winter since 2010 here.   Keep up the good work.  Looks great! 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎02‎:‎49‎, kinzyjr said:

Moore Haven is on US-27 on the west side of Lake Okeechobee just a little before Clewiston.  Been through it a few times on my way to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Okay.  Thanks, Jeremy.  I must have passed through there a couple of times myself going from Coral Springs to the Tampa area and back a time or two back in 2000 and 2001 when I lived in Coral Springs.  Back then, there were HUGE Jamaican Talls about 85ft. tall in overall height and Florida Royals about 100 to 11ft. tall back then in either Clewiston or South Bay!

John

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎48‎:‎48‎, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Looking good.  Especially for the harsh winter we had. Thankfully that now seems to be over, at least here in southwest central FL gulf coast.  My lowest here was 35F, but Im right on water. St Pete got down to 31.  The beaches near 32/33.    Cocos here generally look good.  The ones at the beach appear to have more burn on lower fronds that goes further up the crown.   The ones right next to me look totally unfazed at all.  Same with the Dypsis Lutescens here.  Near me and most places hear water not much burn. North and inland just a bit, burnt tops.    Outside of Pinellas and into tampa the burn on some palms is far more pronounced as they went down into the upper 20's for several nights for 2-5 hours each night.   They called it the worst winter since 2010 here.   Keep up the good work.  Looks great! 

Thanks, Ken.  I hope mine will soon recover with the warmer weather we are starting to have.  Being near the water sure makes a difference, especially when it comes to growing cold sensitive tropical palms and other trees.

John

Yes Moore Haven is located on the south side of Lake Okeechobee. There are lots of Royal palms here and in Clewiston Florida. John, sounds like you are doing what is necessary to give your palm the proper care it needs. Good luck

David

John,

Thank you for sharing - I am sure it will outgrow the damages quickly!

You mentioned the palms in Florida which had taken more damage than your`s -

could it be caused by a different level of humidity during the winter?  

What do you think?

Best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

John,

Thank you for sharing - I am sure it will outgrow the damages quickly!

You mentioned the palms in Florida which had taken more damage than your`s -

could it be caused by a different level of humidity during the winter?  

What do you think?

Best regards

Lars

Hi Lars,

You are welcome,  I love sharing photos of my palms, especially when they are looking a lot better than they are now.  That is an interesting theory you have about the worse freeze injury on the palms in Florida, despite a less severe winter there than here.  You may be on to something, but I think a lot of it is due to the fact that the coconut palms in Central and South Florida do not typically experience the extent of cold and chilly conditions that ours do here in South Texas, and as such, I think ours are sort of hardened off and strengthened to a greater degree of cold and chilly conditions than those in Florida, and also, I think ours go semi dormant in our chillier winters, whereas the ones in Florida remain in active growth typically throughout the winter in Florida, which would expose more new tender foliage to more freeze injury.  Anyway, I hope you are doing well and your coconut palms too.

John

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hi Lars,

You are welcome,  I love sharing photos of my palms, especially when they are looking a lot better than they are now.  That is an interesting theory you have about the worse freeze injury on the palms in Florida, despite a less severe winter there than here.  You may be on to something, but I think a lot of it is due to the fact that the coconut palms in Central and South Florida do not typically experience the extent of cold and chilly conditions that ours do here in South Texas, and as such, I think ours are sort of hardened off and strengthened to a greater degree of cold and chilly conditions than those in Florida, and also, I think ours go semi dormant in our chillier winters, whereas the ones in Florida remain in active growth typically throughout the winter in Florida, which would expose more new tender foliage to more freeze injury.  Anyway, I hope you are doing well and your coconut palms too.

John

Hello John,

thank you for your quick reply! I guessed so, that your palms in Texas are simply more used to the harder winter conditions than those in Florida.

It just came to mind, that I am going along very well with dry cold winters although a cold winter with a high humidity level is a total different story...

So, could it be that Coconut palms feel the same (pain) ;) as I do....?

Best regards, and thanks again -

Lars

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hello John,

thank you for your quick reply! I guessed so, that your palms in Texas are simply more used to the harder winter conditions than those in Florida.

It just came to mind, that I am going along very well with dry cold winters although a cold winter with a high humidity level is a total different story...

So, could it be that Coconut palms feel the same (pain) ;) as I do....?

Best regards, and thanks again -

Lars

Hi Lars,

You are welcome.  Yes, like us, coconut palms don't like chilly damp winters, but here in South Texas, ours seem to adapt to these conditions a little better than those in Florida, at least our survivors do (not all of ours survive such conditions, but the ones that do seem to have some ability to adapt to such conditions).  So, if I understand you correctly, your winters there on your island are cold and dry?  But by "cold", you must be speaking in relative terms, as your "cold" winters would not be as "cold" as ours here, or else you wouldn't have such a beautiful tropical island to live on!

John

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2018, 10:01:34, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Image may contain: plant, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

I’m deeply impressed! Your coco looks great after everything it’s gone through John! Your Malayan looks better than the poor cocos down here in Los Fresnos. Today I passed through Central Blvd in Brownsville and passed by the coconut of Flamingo Motel and it looks absolutely miserable. It has very little cocos on it and is nearly completely burned from the cold. From afar it looks like it’s going to be just fine once it warms up, but man have our cocos taken a tremendous hit. Even the Royals look horrendous right now. What miracles that organic growing make! I will certainly consider it after seeing the progress of your palm.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LF-TX said:

I’m deeply impressed! Your coco looks great after everything it’s gone through John! Your Malayan looks better than the poor cocos down here in Los Fresnos. Today I passed through Central Blvd in Brownsville and passed by the coconut of Flamingo Motel and it looks absolutely miserable. It has very little cocos on it and is nearly completely burned from the cold. From afar it looks like it’s going to be just fine once it warms up, but man have our cocos taken a tremendous hit. Even the Royals look horrendous right now. What miracles that organic growing make! I will certainly consider it after seeing the progress of your palm.

On the bright side, man was I surprised at the sheer size of the coco at Central Blvd :blink: It definitely is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎17‎:‎29‎, LF-TX said:

Roberto,

Yeah, going ALL ORGANIC REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE, and probably increases cold hardiness by 2F to 3F, which can make a world of difference in success and failure in marginal climates in general and during bad winters like this one in particular.  I think the results speak for themselves.  With synthetic chemical fertilizers, my big Green Malayan would have been toast by mid Jan., but as you can see, it still has quite a bit of green on it, and the last leaf that was opening is still opening, and the new spear has just started opening, so it is actively growing again already!

John

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎19‎:‎32‎, LF-TX said:

On the bright side, man was I surprised at the sheer size of the coco at Central Blvd :blink: It definitely is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures. 

Yeah, it's HUGE and probably the largest one in the Valley right now, along with its brother at the back of the property behind the swimming pool.  That one may actually be a few feet taller, so don't forget to check it out the next time you pass by there.

John

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2018, 11:50:49, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, Pedro, I think you are right, and this goes to show people, that the Green Malayan especially is at least a little more cold hardy than they are given credit for, especially when they are well established and have some size to them.  Also, GOING 100% ORGANC like I did, I think definitely gives them an edge too, as well as any cold sensitive tropical tree or plant, by increasing their cold hardiness by 2F to 3F, which makes a world of difference in successful growth in areas where a given plant is considered marginal.  Also, there is the factor that here in South Texas, where Coconut Palms are exposed to more cold and chill on an annual basis than those in Central and South Florida, I think this causes ours here to develop a certain degree of resistance to cold and chill over the ones in Florida that do not routinely experience as much cold and chill on an annual basis as ours do over here!

John

John, what exactly does your fertilizer consist of? If you don’t mind sharing of course - it must be a marvelous recipe. :o

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018‎ ‎5‎:‎08‎:‎54‎, LF-TX said:

John, what exactly does your fertilizer consist of? If you don’t mind sharing of course - it must be a marvelous recipe. :o

Roberto,

It is MicroLife 8-4-6 Ultimate All Organic Biological Fertilizer with over 70 minerals and micronutrients, produced by San Jacinto Environmental in Houston.  It is 100% slow release and contains 2% Iron and billions of beneficial microorganisms, including Endo and Ecto Mycorrhizal Fungi.  It is fortified with:  Alfalfa, Fish Meal, Humates, Kelp Meal, Soy Meal, Wheat Middling's, Rock Phosphate, Bat Guana, Potassium Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Sulfate of Potash Magnesia, Molasses, Corn Meal, and Cottonseed Meal.

I swear by it and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  I have been using it for 6 years now, and don't intend to use any other kind of fertilizer.  It is the best I have found in the 34 years I have been growing palms and other tropical plants.  I hope this helps you.

John

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Roberto,

It is MicroLife 8-4-6 Ultimate All Organic Biological Fertilizer with over 70 minerals and micronutrients, produced by San Jacinto Environmental in Houston.  It is 100% slow release and contains 2% Iron and billions of beneficial microorganisms, including Endo and Ecto Mycorrhizal Fungi.  It is fortified with:  Alfalfa, Fish Meal, Humates, Kelp Meal, Soy Meal, Wheat Middling's, Rock Phosphate, Bat Guana, Potassium Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Sulfate of Potash Magnesia, Molasses, Corn Meal, and Cottonseed Meal.

I swear by it and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  I have been using it for 6 years now, and don't intend to use any other kind of fertilizer.  It is the best I have found in the 34 years I have been growing palms and other tropical plants.  I hope this helps you.

John

Sounds good!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Roberto,

John

How much does it cost?

On 2/14/2018, 2:37:13, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hi Lars,

You are welcome.  Yes, like us, coconut palms don't like chilly damp winters, but here in South Texas, ours seem to adapt to these conditions a little better than those in Florida, at least our survivors do (not all of ours survive such conditions, but the ones that do seem to have some ability to adapt to such conditions).  So, if I understand you correctly, your winters there on your island are cold and dry?  But by "cold", you must be speaking in relative terms, as your "cold" winters would not be as "cold" as ours here, or else you wouldn't have such a beautiful tropical island to live on!

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

Well, our winters are temperature-wise not really cold, since our island is originally in a more warmer area.

But, and that is big but: The northern winds!

When the Japanese main islands get hit by a cold wave, tips of that cold air is reaching down to us through those

northern winds. So, if the weather reports says "Wind from the north", temperatures are often dropping down into the 

50`s, which is still not really cold, but the wind is felt much much colder and is everywhere. You have to wear a 

cap and wind breaking clothes or you will very likely catch a cold. If those winds last for a couple of days in a row -

lets say 10 days or more - many people here get sick (flu, cold, Noro etc.) and then it is considered as a "cold winter".

Day wise northern winds are common, lasting for a week or longer happens once in ten years - and that is what

we had from Feb.1st until Valentine, result: "We had a cold winter." ;) 

Generally spoken:

From March until November we have the warm and humid air from the pacific, in winter it switches to the dry and 

cooler air from the Asian continent, lasting from December until Feb./March. In summer it never gets cold, but in

winter it often gets warm, when the warmer pacific air gets the upper hand back - which can last for days or even weeks.

That for the moment, John,

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LF-TX said:

How much does it cost?

Roberto,

Since I am a landscaper, I am able to buy the fertilizer from them since they are wholesale only.  I sell the 40 lb. bags for $65 each and the 7 lb. jugs for $25.  I will be going to Houston in a few weeks to get some more, so if you want me to get you some, let me know.

Thanks,

John

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

Well, our winters are temperature-wise not really cold, since our island is originally in a more warmer area.

But, and that is big but: The northern winds!

When the Japanese main islands get hit by a cold wave, tips of that cold air is reaching down to us through those

northern winds. So, if the weather reports says "Wind from the north", temperatures are often dropping down into the 

50`s, which is still not really cold, but the wind is felt much much colder and is everywhere. You have to wear a 

cap and wind breaking clothes or you will very likely catch a cold. If those winds last for a couple of days in a row -

lets say 10 days or more - many people here get sick (flu, cold, Noro etc.) and then it is considered as a "cold winter".

Day wise northern winds are common, lasting for a week or longer happens once in ten years - and that is what

we had from Feb.1st until Valentine, result: "We had a cold winter." ;) 

Generally spoken:

From March until November we have the warm and humid air from the pacific, in winter it switches to the dry and 

cooler air from the Asian continent, lasting from December until Feb./March. In summer it never gets cold, but in

winter it often gets warm, when the warmer pacific air gets the upper hand back - which can last for days or even weeks.

That for the moment, John,

best regards -

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for the info.  So, on average what is the coldest overnight low and coldest daytime high each winter on your island?  Also, what is the all time record high temp and all time record low temp on your island?  And what is your annual average rainfall in inches?

Thanks,

John

5 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Lars,

Thanks for the info.  So, on average what is the coldest overnight low and coldest daytime high each winter on your island?  Also, what is the all time record high temp and all time record low temp on your island?  And what is your annual average rainfall in inches?

Thanks,

John

John,

I hope this will help:

[hide]Climate data for Miyakojima, Okinawa
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Average high °C (°F) 20.4
(68.7)
(69.6)
(72.9)
(77.2)
(81.5)
(85.8)
(88.9)
(88.2)
(86)
(82)
(77)
(71.6)
(79.12)
Daily mean °C (°F) 18.0
(64.4)
(64.9)
(68)
(72.3)
(76.6)
(81)
(83.7)
(83.3)
(81.3)
(77.7)
(72.9)
(67.5)
(74.47)
Average low °C (°F) 16.0
(60.8)
(61.2)
(63.9)
(68.4)
(72.9)
(77.4)
(79.9)
(79.3)
(77.5)
(74.5)
(69.4)
(64)
(70.77)
Averageprecipitationmm (inches) 130.8
(5.15)
(5.563)
(5.425)
(6.311)
(8.177)
(7.303)
(5.15)
(10.335)
(9.055)
(6.15)
(5.783)
(5.169)
(79.571)
Averagerelative humidity (%) 72 75 77 80 82 84 80 80 79 75 73 70 77.3
Mean monthlysunshine hours 86.4 82.6 112.0 123.2 151.1 191.9 246.7 220.5 184.6 153.8 112.0 101.3 1,766.1
Source: JMA (1981-2010) 

source: Wikipedia

"The climate of Miyakojima is on the boundary between a tropical rainforest climate (Köppen climate classification Af) and a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa) with very warm summers and mild winters. Precipitation is abundant throughout the year; August is the wettest month, and January and July are the driest."

source: climatestotravel.com ©

"Although the winter is very mild, the sky is often cloudy, and periods of bad weather, with wind and rain, are quite common. Every now and then, especially in January, there can be very cool days, with highs around 16 °C (61 °F) or less, and lows around 10 °C (50 °F) or less. "

one more -

source: climatemps.com©

• "In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 20.5°C (69°F) on average falling to 15.8°C (60.4°F) overnight."

finally -

all time record high: 39C/102F in July 1977 ; all time record low: 7C/45F in Feb.1977 - source: plantmaps.com©

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Roberto,

Since I am a landscaper, I am able to buy the fertilizer from them since they are wholesale only.  I sell the 40 lb. bags for $65 each and the 7 lb. jugs for $25.  I will be going to Houston in a few weeks to get some more, so if you want me to get you some, let me know.

Thanks,

John

Thank you so much for the offer John, I appreciate it a lot. Fortunately I take frequent trips to Houston, so no worries! :)

13 hours ago, palmfriend said:

John,

I hope this will help:

[hide]Climate data for Miyakojima, Okinawa
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Average high °C (°F) 20.4
(68.7)
(69.6)
(72.9)
(77.2)
(81.5)
(85.8)
(88.9)
(88.2)
(86)
(82)
(77)
(71.6)
(79.12)
Daily mean °C (°F) 18.0
(64.4)
(64.9)
(68)
(72.3)
(76.6)
(81)
(83.7)
(83.3)
(81.3)
(77.7)
(72.9)
(67.5)
(74.47)
Average low °C (°F) 16.0
(60.8)
(61.2)
(63.9)
(68.4)
(72.9)
(77.4)
(79.9)
(79.3)
(77.5)
(74.5)
(69.4)
(64)
(70.77)
Averageprecipitationmm (inches) 130.8
(5.15)
(5.563)
(5.425)
(6.311)
(8.177)
(7.303)
(5.15)
(10.335)
(9.055)
(6.15)
(5.783)
(5.169)
(79.571)
Averagerelative humidity (%) 72 75 77 80 82 84 80 80 79 75 73 70 77.3
Mean monthlysunshine hours 86.4 82.6 112.0 123.2 151.1 191.9 246.7 220.5 184.6 153.8 112.0 101.3 1,766.1
Source: JMA (1981-2010) 

source: Wikipedia

"The climate of Miyakojima is on the boundary between a tropical rainforest climate (Köppen climate classification Af) and a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa) with very warm summers and mild winters. Precipitation is abundant throughout the year; August is the wettest month, and January and July are the driest."

source: climatestotravel.com ©

"Although the winter is very mild, the sky is often cloudy, and periods of bad weather, with wind and rain, are quite common. Every now and then, especially in January, there can be very cool days, with highs around 16 °C (61 °F) or less, and lows around 10 °C (50 °F) or less. "

one more -

source: climatemps.com©

• "In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 20.5°C (69°F) on average falling to 15.8°C (60.4°F) overnight."

finally -

all time record high: 39C/102F in July 1977 ; all time record low: 7C/45F in Feb.1977 - source: plantmaps.com©

best regards -

Lars

Thanks, Lars.  Your island is more tropical as far as all time record low than Key West, FL, even though they are slightly milder day to day in the winter time.  Their normal high/low in Jan. is something like 76F/64F, but their all time record low is 41F!  And you certainly have a wet island.  Key West only averages 39 inches per year!

John

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LF-TX said:

Thank you so much for the offer John, I appreciate it a lot. Fortunately I take frequent trips to Houston, so no worries! :)

You are welcome, Roberto, but unless you have a retail nursery, or are a landscaper, San Jacinto Environmental, the maker of MicroLife will not sell directly to you, but you can pick up MicroLife at Plants for All Seasons in Houston and at a lot of other nurseries.  There the bags cost about $40 to $45 retail, and the 7lb jugs are around $20 retail.  I have to charge more for both due to my costs of going back and forth to Houston to get it.

John

• Upvote 1