IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Old Man Palm Seedlings - Coccothrinax crinita

Miami_grower

Old Man Palm Tree  Coccothrinax crinita - 5 Seedling Pack 

The Old Man Palm Tree, scientific name Coccothrinax crinita, is well-known because of its stunning trunk that is covered with thick layer of wool-like fibers.  It is very rare palm that you usually find find in the collector's garden, that is one of the reasons it is very expensive. Retail nursery prices for a 4 y.o. young palm can be found in the $175-$200 range.  They can also grow indoors.

These seedlings are from Fall-2017 seeds.

These are December/January seedlings. They will be shipped bare root, cleaned and bundled, then roots wrapped in wet moss and plastic wrapping. They will be shipped priority mail only, excepting local pick-up, If you expect cold weather, I will ship "priority mail, Hold for Pickup." Note to me of this option and advise me of whether you want SMS or email notification.  Available "Local Pick-up" at Miami(Kendall/Baptist/Galloway area),  by appointment only

Multiple packets: Order two packs of five and I will add a third pack free. Order four packs, you get two free packs, and so on. You pay postage only for the first pack.  Postage quotes are for USA shipping only. International Customers: contact me before ordering for international shipping options

Pricing:  (for local pickup eliminate postage)
  • One Pack: $7; Postage (USA only): (Priority Mail) $7.15; Total $14.15 (five plants)
  • Two Packs: $14(3rd pack free); Postage((USA only); Priority Mail) $7.15;  Total $21.15 (fifteen plants )
  • Four Packs: $28 (5th and 6th packs free);  Postage(USA only): Priority Mail $7.15; Total $35.15 (thirty plants)
  • ...and so on.

Payment

• Postal Order: Ebay (redlands_grower@yahoo.com)
  • Local Pick-Up order: Cash or Ebay.

USPS Hold for Pickup

Priority Mail Express Hold For Pickup shipments are sent to a designated Hold For Pickup location -- such as a Post Office -- where the shipment is picked up within five calendar days. Each shipment is identified with the name and address of the sender, the name and address of the recipient, and the name and address of the designated Hold For Pickup location on the address label. 

Priority Mail Express Hold For Pickup service lets customers pick up shipments when it is convenient for them, with the assurance that their shipments are held safely and securely. Automatic notifications via e-mail or SMS text messaging are also available, using the USPS Web Tools Express Mail Hold For Pickup API. 

Old Man Palm Tree Profile

Scientific name: Coccothrinax crinita

Common names: The Old Man Palm is also known as Thatch Palm, Guano Barbudo, Guano Petate, Palma Petate.

Family: Arecaceae

Origin: Coccothrinax crinita is native to Cuba.

Appearance: Trunk is slim, only 8 inches in diameter, but appears bigger because of the the thick hair covering. The Old Man Palm trunk reminds of an old man's beard, hence the name Old Man Palm.

With no crownshaft 15-25 circular leaves grow right from the trunk. Leaves are palmate, or fan-shaped, stiff, spirally arranged, deeply divided, about 4-5 ft in diameter. They grow on short 2ft long unarmed petioles. Leaves are bright green on top and silvery-gray on the bottom.

Flowers/Fruits: In the summer the Old Man Palm produces yellow flowers that are held by 5 ft long stalks growing among the leaves extending farther than the leaves? length. Flowers are bisexual, both male and female reproductive organs are born on the same plant. Flowers are followed by dark purple fruit that is round, fleshy, about 1 inch in diameter.

Growth Rate: Slow. Coccothrinax crinita is a slow growing palm that can get up to 10-20ft tall and 1-5ft wide.It will take this evergreen about 10 years to grow to 5'.

Outdoor/Indoor Use: Both.

Cold Tolerance: Old Man Palm Tree can tolerate cold down to 20F when mature enough. It is great for USDA Zones 9a (20 to 25 F) to 11 (above 40 F).

Light Req: Partial shade to Full sun.

Water Req: This palm is great to plant along the seashore because it is very drought and salt tolerant. It likes moist well drained soil.

Maintenance: Easy. To prevent nutritional deficiency, apply good quality palm fertilizer that has continuous release formula twice a year during growing season.

Propagation: Propagated by seed.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Greetings,

I am looking to purchase some Coccothrinax crinita seedlings. Do you have any for sale?

Jack

26 minutes ago, jack99 said:

Greetings,

I am looking to purchase some Coccothrinax crinita seedlings. Do you have any for sale?

Jack

Welcome to Palmtalk Jack!  It seems that the original poster @Miami_grower has not been on Palmtalk since November of 2020 so you're not likely to get a response.  You'll have better luck sending a private message to members who have sold palms more recently than February, 2018 or by posting in the "Palms/Plants/Seeds Wanted" forum.  Good luck!

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

Correct!  I lost my Thai seed supplier....Covid. 

2018:Moved from Miami, with my two front yard 10'ft Coccothrinax crinitas staying behind.  My three in-ground "Old Men" in Vero Beach are a few years away from flowering. 

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread but I would love to learn how to germinate these and get the zaplings to come out consistently. I've tried several times, have the container, put the seeds in peat moss, warming pad and even the lights and haven't got much success. Bought several packs of seeds from Ebay, i'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, Captainzugzug said:

I know this is an old thread but I would love to learn how to germinate these and get the zaplings to come out consistently. I've tried several times, have the container, put the seeds in peat moss, warming pad and even the lights and haven't got much success. Bought several packs of seeds from Ebay, i'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

How fresh is the seed? 

On 6/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, jack99 said:

Greetings,

Jack

Hi Jack, if you are still looking I have some C. crinita seedlings. 3g, 7g, and 15g. Post pics soon. 
Shelby 

(239) 318-0460