IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Howea fosteriana

Mostapha

Hi, I just received a bunch of Howea fosteriana seeds, 150 to be exact. I know that seems like alot if seeds but being as germination isn't 100%, in the end it may not seem like so many. Usually if I get an abundance of germinated seedlings I give them to friends and neighbors that I know will do their best to maintain them. Also a good friend has a florist with a small green house and I gift some to her. Makes her an exclusive on most palm species in my area.

Anyway, back to the Howeas. I've read alot about their germination and care as indoor potted plants so I am hoping to get some nice little plants to start with. 

Now some of what I have read is about the ripeness of the seed, be it yellow, orange or red and a mix of the three with some brown to black spots. These seem to match the mix. Also have read to use the baggie method, ( Doesn't work for me) and to just let them be until the fruit begins to ferment. Then there was mention of cracking and removing the husk to get at the actual seed.

Most of these seeds are fresh picked from the parent plant, while some seem to be a bit older, (slightly wrinkled). Those particular seeds I was able to crack the husk and remove the seed. Those I'm going to put in a mixture of spagnum, sand, and a good seeding soil, with some bottom heat. After all I reside in upstate NY. But then again, I have germinated many tropical and subtropical palms including Bismarks, Becarriophoenix alfrediis, triangles, canary island dates, foxtails , red and blue latania as well as some others. Must be doing something right.

The rest of the seeds I have soaking in warm water, that is changed twice a day. I will let them soak until I am able to break down the outer husk. Ive read approx. a week, but I'll keep an eye on them in the meantime.

The ones that I have taken the husk from, some are showing a small white growth, would like to think it is the start of something nice about to happen but time will tell. All of the seeds sink, including the ones without the husks. I am including a couple if pictures of the seeds. One where this white growth us somewhat visible. If anyone has any other suggestions, be it an idea or something tried and true please feel free to comment. I'm always open to suggestions. With 150 seeds I have room for trial and error.

Thanks for your time. 

Mark1517937297799-26713064.thumb.jpg.1e4491e15179371328001777726289.thumb.jpg.479c54

• Upvote 2

You should not have too much trouble.I don't know what temps you get,

but if I put those red ones an inch or two into the ground, just like that, four out of five would come up, probably five.

They come up by themselves here under the mother tree. We are pulling them out all of the time.

Our neighbour threw a pile of his seeds into the compost bin and a heap of those struck, we potted up 100 and gave them away.

You should not have much trouble.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

2 hours ago, gtsteve said:

You should not have too much trouble.I don't know what temps you get,

but if I put those red ones an inch or two into the ground, just like that, four out of five would come up, probably five.

They come up by themselves here under the mother tree. We are pulling them out all of the time.

Our neighbour threw a pile of his seeds into the compost bin and a heap of those struck, we potted up 100 and gave them away.

You should not have much trouble.

Interesting that they would germinate well with the fruit still attached.  The only time I have germinated these, I cleaned 3 seeds (like the brown ones in the photo above) and planted them in regular potting soil in a container inside the house during our summer.  I believe it took 3 or 4 months, but one of the 3 germinated.  Inside temp would have been around 78-80º F  I did not notice any volunteer seedlings around the mother tree which was in San Diego, CA.  They must really like Australia!

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

21 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Interesting that they would germinate well with the fruit still attached.  The only time I have germinated these, I cleaned 3 seeds (like the brown ones in the photo above) and planted them in regular potting soil in a container inside the house during our summer.  I believe it took 3 or 4 months, but one of the 3 germinated.  Inside temp would have been around 78-80º F  I did not notice any volunteer seedlings around the mother tree which was in San Diego, CA.  They must really like Australia!

Well, they OUGHT to like Australia! :P:lol:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 hours ago, Missi said:

Well, they OUGHT to like Australia! :P:lol:

Kinda like how Florida royals and Florida Sabal palmettos like Florida?  LOL

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

Well here in NYS the weather here isn't the same as Lord Howe Island, nor is anywhere in the states for that matter. We are currently in our winter, actually expecting up to a foot of snow today.

Germination here is going to be a bit longer and I'm sure without high rates. Some places here we get Washingtonias sprouting like the Howeas in Australia. Though I did get 100% on Livistonia decoras (approx 40-45 seeds) within 1-3 weeks. Also very fresh seed.

4 out of 5 would be nice, but 1 out of 3 seeds is probably about the average here, which would still give me about 50 plants, more than enough to be able to share. But never say never.

I use plastic containers with lids that I poke holes into the tops to allow for fresh air and to keep mold or fungus( ex: mushrooms) from growing. But the mediums I use are sterile. And I give all the seeds a good dip in peroxide before sowing. Then I place a towel over a steam radiator with a cookie sheet on top, placing the containers on that. Keeps the soil pretty warm but not hot to the touch. Only seeds I kept warmer were the Latania seeds which required a very warm atmosphere, originally coming from Reunion Island, though my seeds came from Hawaii.

At least here in the states I won't have to worry about cockatoos trying to get at my seeds. Here we have squirrels and pigeons.

I hope some Cali or Aussie PTers confirm this but I would probably not expose Howea seeds to tropical high heat for germination. Lord Howe Island is not tropical but cool oceanic and the palm species there are not tropical. Keep your seeds moist but keep them off the radiator. Better to keep them in a basket atop the refrigerator in the kitchen where they may benefit from a bit of warmth but not blistering heat. The same goes for the seedlings. They hate hot, sweltering days and nights, much prefer the mediterranean climate in Cali.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

25 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I hope some Cali or Aussie PTers confirm this but I would probably not expose Howea seeds to tropical high heat for germination. Lord Howe Island is not tropical but cool oceanic and the palm species there are not tropical. Keep your seeds moist but keep them off the radiator. Better to keep them in a basket atop the refrigerator in the kitchen where they may benefit from a bit of warmth but not blistering heat. The same goes for the seedlings. They hate hot, sweltering days and nights, much prefer the mediterranean climate in Cali.

Didn't say blistering heat, thank you. I said some bottom warmth. Thank you for you in put, it is appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

Didn't say blistering heat, thank you. I said some bottom warmth. With the towel under the cookie sheet it insulates the soil from getting too warm, the cookie sheet helps to balance the container. The soil stays  about 70F. Thank you for the input, it is appreciated.

This is a pic of the remaining Livistonia decora seeds that need to be potted yet. I'm giving them to my friend. These were germinated with the towel /cookie sheet method I use. 

Just received Cocothinax from doomsdave, that are currently soaking. Sure they will do well. Who knows in NYS some may think the only thing I can grow here are dandelions.

If it works.. don't fix it.

1518034433761-81100953.jpg

• Upvote 1

I simply throw the Howea seeds on the ground, cover with a littlev soil and they sprout a few months later. Then again I'm in the Azores...

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)

Hi,

Here in Los Angeles, the seeds drop and sprout under the mother plant in 3 to 6 months. Shady, no bottom heat or extra anything. Biggest problems are rodents and over-zealous nesting birds.

Good luck!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Hi, continuing to attempt cleaning these Howea seeds, done ready some not. 

I found this today in one I was cleaning, being as most if the seeds are fresh from the parent, a few were starting to wrinkle, assume older seeds. 

I'm wondering if this could possibly be the beginning of a germination. I know this is very early on, just being optimistic.

15184746236421094952209.jpg

1518474676881-317813037.jpg