IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea pimo - more tender than I thought

Josue Diaz

6 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Just noticed spotting on Pimo again. Either pimo is super tropical, or my plants are not Brahea pimo. We haven't been below 40F. 

20181114_072503.jpg

20181114_072446.jpg

WTH?  It hasn't even got cold yet.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

22 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

WTH?  It hasn't even got cold yet.

My reaction exactly as I walked past it this morning :floor:

Still think it's pimo? I'm wondering if I should contact the seller...

• Upvote 1

Josue,

It's a little harder to tell at this size, but there should be some "fur" starting to grow on the lower portions of the petioles by this point. As it goes completely palmate, it of course spreads exponentially. How cold's it been lately? I'm hard pressed to think of any Brahea that can't withstand a bit of cool, dry weather.

Bret

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Here is mine this morning, with some potted plants and overgrowth around it. Note the fur Bret refers to. 

5D8FDB84-2AF4-4072-A831-B76CFB565728.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Josue,

It's a little harder to tell at this size, but there should be some "fur" starting to grow on the lower portions of the petioles by this point. As it goes completely palmate, it of course spreads exponentially. How cold's it been lately? I'm hard pressed to think of any Brahea that can't withstand a bit of cool, dry weather.

Bret

I've noticed some fur near where the petiole and frond meet. I'll try to get a good picture of it. As far as temperatures go, this has been pretty typical for the last month or so. Highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s. No rain, humidity levels around 30%

Screenshot_20181114-101724_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

@quaman58, @Ben in Norcal Could this be something other than B. pimo? What could be this cold sensitive and palmate? Pritchardia sp. maybe? 

The form sure looks like a young pimo.  Can you get a closer up picture of the base/stem and petioles?

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

The form sure looks like a young pimo.  Can you get a closer up picture of the base/stem and petioles?

20181114_163056.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josue Diaz said:

20181114_163056.jpg

Looks like a pimo to me.  I'm stumped.  I wonder if it could be something besides cold damage?

Ben Rogers

Wow. That thing is even less cold hardy than my royal palm. Also, we are not even in January yet. I'm already at two days low 35 this week. Looks like winter is coming early. 

Josue, I agree it looks like pimo. Weird; it looks like freeze damage, but it’s too early for that.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Ive got 1 and i planted it out and it took and turn  3 or 4 months later and lost every frond i dug it up  put it in a pot got it looking good planted it out a year later and it started to turn again i found it wasnt the cold it was the lack of water i found mine loved water to get it settled now its been in for 3 years its tough as nails it saw -6 in 2017 and didnt flinch even the pjub behind it got burnt

That is bizarre! Your forecast is similar to ours in Phoenix. Oddly enough, my Thrinax radiata I planted this year has some purplish maroon shade starting on a few fronds. Coldest it’s been is 44f . I’m as puzzled as you are! 

16FDA447-B390-40B4-9D3B-79EDD16D6F43.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms

• 7 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 10:23 PM, Josue Diaz said:

They were planted out last summer. They grew in that spot all year so it couldn't be sun damage. I noticed the dark leaf coloration after the first frost, then, after a few frosts the leaves started drooping. 

Nice! I have a small Moorei also. You should post some photos of yours!

I have been on the look out for a B PImo for long time, with no luck in CA... The only Brahea i have is Decumbens, and they are awesome! Just Bright Blue Bushes, and just love them... If you run across another or so, please let me know... You should try Decumbens though, not afraid of heat of cold.  

• 3 months later...

Before we get below 50s for our lows, i figured I'd post an end-of-summer photo to show the burning is definitely not from summer sun exposure. If my two palms behave like they have the past two winters,  i should expect to see the cold damage show up in 5 to 6 weeks. 

btw, one seems to be outpacing the other. Water makes a huge difference! Also, the fuzz is really coming in on the larger one. 

20191016_135218.jpg

20191016_135243.jpg

20191016_135155.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Those are looking real good Josue. Once mine went palmate, it really took off. No issues with cold though, although it sees a number of nights hit the low '30s.

Bret

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, BayAndroid said:

So has this Pimo grown out of the winter time damage? 

I think so. Took these right around Christmas. 

20231219_145849.jpg

20231219_145913.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2