IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brrr it got cold in Houston(Katy)

TracyB

Hey Ya’ll

I am new here and I  am looking for a current status that I could talk about my Queen palms.

June 2017 I had five 15’ Queen Palms planted around my pool.  (I had 4 there earlier but lost them all to a freeze) In December we knew snow and a freeze was coming so my tree guy wrapped all four of them in burlap...4 layers thick up to the fronds. Well..it froze and it snowed. Then in January it froze again. The fronds are brown and several are sagging because they have broken. I called my tree guy who planted them and he said “We are not going to trim yet. Although they look ugly we need to wait.” Do you think he is correct? I know I’m not jumping in my pool for another few months but I want to do right by these trees. This is our third replacement due to weather and it is getting really expensive. We lost 10 of our very mature 25’-30’ trees to a hard freeze in 2016.  That was heartbreaking  

I am in Katy which is west Houston.

Thanks,

Tracy

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum! I think you should post some pictures. No need to rush to trim the palms, unless the eyesore really bothers you. 

I'm in the Katy area too, how far west are you? 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I have some palms here in Virginia that are completely defoliated and are currently all brown too. Yeah, I would not trim them yet, like Xenon said. If these palms die and you don't want palms that die in the winter, I think a Mule Palm would do well in your area and would look nice around a pool! They are a cross between a Pindo Palm (Butia capitata) and a Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana). Look them up, they are pretty cool and hardy. Here is an article about them: http://www.junglemusic.net/Mule_Palm/Mule_Palm.html But yes, please post photos! I hope they recover well, keep us updated! :)

Edited by PalmTreeDude
More Info Added
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I agree with PalmTreeDude. You are wasting tons of money on queens that are at best temporary in your winters. Better to bite the bullet and plant mule palms, which are hardier, better looking and won't drop slimy, fly-attracting orange fruit all over your yard (mule palms are sterile like the animals).

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I agree with PalmTreeDude. You are wasting tons of money on queens that are at best temporary in your winters. Better to bite the bullet and plant mule palms, which are hardier, better looking and won't drop slimy, fly-attracting orange fruit all over your yard (mule palms are sterile like the animals).

Mules do look a lot nicer than queens... :greenthumb:

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go.  The palms that are trying to survive the winter in Katy. Thoughts out there?  How are we looking? Broken fronds are getting trimmed today. Will post after photos soon. 

7441581A-B3DE-4B22-96E0-D002BBD0E86C.jpeg

Hey that one in the neighbor’s yard that is unwrapped looks like it should pull through. Maybe that’s just because it has been in place longer. I hope yours make it, hopefully that wrapping protected the growing point enough to survive. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Agree with Texas Cold Hardy. There must be a better way for you.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...

how are your palms doing? I thought my queen palm was dead until yesterday when i saw a tiny green pop out of the top!

I think all of them may make it. 4 of the 5 have new growth. One isn’t showing anything but it’s not stinking either. Fingers crossed. They look funny but hopefully they will grow this spring and summer and we won’t have another crazy winter. Great to hear yours are alive and growing as well.