IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Streaks in Kentia Palms’ new growth

Elsie

What could be causing this streaking in the new growth of my young Kentia Palms? They’re in a front of huge windows but there are large overhangs so they get very little direct light. 

They recently had the beginning of a scale problem but that seemed to be mitigated with neem oil. Now I’m worried I might lose all of them. Any help or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. 

9D4F5D04-8CB4-45F7-9D8F-07694B82AE55.jpeg

69398DC2-9FBA-427E-A143-B918C8FAAB1E.jpeg

FE5A9C10-34D9-4D30-823F-809025D5D7E1.jpeg

E1B5F6C0-FDC7-45D1-9E1A-4E1B0D7B2137.jpeg

DC114358-2D97-444E-A294-EB6B743DA225.jpeg

I hope it does well for you. Someone mentioned to me today in a message that they are considering repotting theirs in Coco coir. I don't know if that helps you, but he is pretty knowledgeable about his palms. 

I just received yesterday what was supposed to be 100 seeds of fosteriana seeds but got 150. Fresh from the tree. I know sounds like alot but howeas are tough to germinate, so I know I will not get 100% germination, but who knows. 

I've read alot if different methods people have used. I cracked and removed a few of the husks wondering if it may shorten the germination period. Any other ideas or tried methods would be more than welcomed.

Including pics here of a few seeds with and without the husks.

A few of the ones I cracked are showing a small white bump, would be nice if it was a start of something. Highly unlikely I'm sure, but I'm an optimist at heart.lol.

15179371328001777726289.jpg

1517937297799-26713064.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I will try that Coco coir potting mix. See if I can save them. Odd that it’s in all 5 palms in different places around my house. Unfortunately it means it’s soemthing I’m doing! Anyone have experience with new oil? Could too thick of an application have choked out the fronds perhaps?

• 2 years later...

I've heard of people losing palms to neem, every time I use it I give the whole plant a thorough wipe down the following morning after I apply it so it doesn't cause buildup/suffocate the leaves.  For the most part though I use a paper towel or q-tip sprayed with 70% isopropyl to battle scale on my palms.  Doesn't leave any residue on the leaves and it's nice and potent.  Good luck with your howea!