IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my royal palm dead ????

Jason-Palm king

I live in sanford Florida and we had 2 nights under 32

degrees . This is my royal palm this morning . All the leaves are dead . Is it a goner or no? Any advice would be great . I did just plant this tree in October so even though it’s tall it’s newly planted 

7B4003AE-A201-4343-BFEE-E9853D2AB303.jpeg

It is not dead yet ( at least for now ). You need to check the spear.

Edited by Cikas

How far under 32? How long was it subjected to temps under 35? At at this point only time will tell. When spring heat returns it may resume growing or it may collapse.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 2/3/2018, 5:40:40, Jason-Palm king said:

It’s was 28 degrees for about 2 hours ....yeah , I will leave the tree as is for now 

They those same temps in South FL in Dec 1989 in West Palm Beach. Even the coco's came back. I saw them in Feb 1990 and they looked dead as doornails. They were back by the end of summer. West Palm Beach airport had two straight nights at 28F.

4 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

They those same temps in South FL in Dec 1989 in West Palm Beach. Even the coco's came back. I saw them in Feb 1990 and they looked dead as doornails. They were back by the end of summer. West Palm Beach airport had two straight nights at 28F.

Another fast grower - should help with the royal's recovery like those coconuts.

Jon Sunder

I don't want to get on the cart. I really am feeling much better. 

-monty python 

Wait and see if it recovers 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Still, only time will tell, but if the spear is still green and the trunk is not too bad, I would assume it has a good chance of recovery. Keep an eye on it!

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude