IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Washingtonia robusta was really beat up this winter in VA, I know it has no chance of surviving here without protection, so I protected it during our coldest cold snaps and it has been fried for about a month now. But it is hanging on, it went through many nights in the low 20s and high teens (not much below 19 degrees F) unprotected as well. This whole thing was just an experiment. I marked a line on the spear and a line on the old base of a frond, today I checked and the line on the fried spear went up! It is slowly warming up here, and I may have to protect it only one or two more times this winter. At the time that I am posting this is is 64 degrees F outside and the lows are in the 30s for this week. I tugged on the spear many times for the past two weeks and it is still strong in there. Let's see how it does in the spring. Here it is now, it is sad, but alive. 

20180127_142212.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Good luck! We have a few more days in the upper teens low 20s (2-3) for lows in early feb, but the worst is behind us I think. But keep an eye out as feb and even march can swing bad still. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Survive or thrive? Over the decades I've grown so many types of borderline palms and had them all fail. Sometimes the real damage manifests itself well into spring or even early summer. So these days I choose the "thrive" palms but there's always something I have that I know one day will kick the bucket.

Cheers, Barrie.

And still it keeps on growing!...I'm in Northern Virginia, too...that 2.5 to 3 week cold spell we had was terrible but my Trachy (wish I knew it's genetic composition) has gotten through the low teennights/sub-freezing days with just a spotlight at the base of the trunk pointed up at the crown...one loosely protected (burlap and incandescent Christmas light strings) Mediterranean and the Brazoria right next to it have had serious leaf burn but both still have strong spears...my McCurtain strapling well protected with incandescent light strings under the pine needles and leaves that surround it and a shrub cover covered in several layers of burlap is doing just fine...another Mediterranean (3 feet tall) next to it is well covered in the same manner and not one bit of damage...oddly enough, my in ground for 5-years Needle (no protection whatsoever) has suffered damage for the first time ever to 3 of the newest main trunk leaves...all the other leaves are fine and the suckers are all just fine??...the Trachy is too big to cover but it's really making me proud...it folds the segments of its leaves at the center vein and closes each that way until the coldest weather leaves, then the leaves flatten back out...:D 

Yeah thats why when I replace the trachycarpus seedlings that might die in spring I will only get ones with ~3ft or more of trunk. From what I heard and experienced first hand they are very tender sub that size. As for the washingtonia Ill be very interested in the regrowth this spring, hoping it makes it through, and seeing what the long term viability is.

Currently Im down to 2/7 trachycarpus seedlings that haven't pulled (::KNOCKS ON WOOD::), 3/5ths of my chamaerops humilis, and the bud hardy livistona chinensis which hasnt pulled yet but is 100% defoliated. Kinda want March 1st to come so I know what to purchase and a better idea of what is going to live on. February is going to be a looooong month if its as cold as January was...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

To ensure that it survives,place a clear bin(for example the ones you use to store kids' toys in)over the palm and seal the places where cold air can get in through the bottom with dirt.With a bit of sun you will get temps of 65+ if its above 40 and sunny outside.It will speed up its recovery.

Edited by CroToni
spelling error

3 hours ago, CroToni said:

To ensure that it survives,place a clear bin(for example the ones you use to store kids' toys in)over the palm and seal the places where cold air can get in through the bottom with dirt.With a bit of sun you will get temps of 65+ if its above 40 and sunny outside.It will speed up its recovery.

I built a greenhouse thay was sealed with dirt and mulch and lots of clear tape. It worked great for most weather but even with the lights the coldest nights dipped well bellow 15f inside and I used 6mil sheets! But mind you that was when it was around 3 to 5f outside the tent. So unless you put a real heat source itll get you half to 1 full zone of a temperature boost. 

The flipside is when it swings to 60s and 70s then if you don't open it up it will get too hot REALLY fast! Honestly I think most of my damage was when it got to 60f + before I woke up and cooked the fronds. Even with the lights putting off little radiant heat and having a big box fan that sun heated it up fast!

45 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I built a greenhouse thay was sealed with dirt and mulch and lots of clear tape. It worked great for most weather but even with the lights the coldest nights dipped well bellow 15f inside and I used 6mil sheets! But mind you that was when it was around 3 to 5f outside the tent. So unless you put a real heat source itll get you half to 1 full zone of a temperature boost. 

The flipside is when it swings to 60s and 70s then if you don't open it up it will get too hot REALLY fast! Honestly I think most of my damage was when it got to 60f + before I woke up and cooked the fronds. Even with the lights putting off little radiant heat and having a big box fan that sun heated it up fast!

Here they work wonders when we dip below 30.I can Imagine they can fry the palm in your winters.

Yeah when you go from teens to 60s and 70s itll happen. But still it spared my chamaerops, livistona and young trachycarpus from single digit temps.

Yeah the past week and this current rain seem to perked mine up a bit. Hoping they all bounce back, but not holding my breath! We are gloomy and in the 60s but ZERO complaints here!