Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

awesome new cultivars of Dracaena fragrans and Dracaena marginata

12 posts in this topic

Last week was the Tropical Plant International Expo (TPIE) in Ft. Lauderdale. Here are 2 really cool Dracaena cultivars new to the Florida trade that really stood out.

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine'- this is the first D. marginata I have seen with yellow banding, its really striking. This won the "Most Unusual Plant Specimen" award at TPIE.

DSC_1412.JPG

DSC_1710.JPG

The 2nd one is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter'. This is a very large form of D. fragrans, the leaves are twice as big as the common D. fragrans 'Massangeana'. There is another large form called 'Giganta' that has the same markings as 'Massangeana' but with larger leaves that are upright. I didn't get a photo of it.

This is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter';

DSC_1415.JPG

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

The 2nd one is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter'. This is a very large form of D. fragrans, the leaves are twice as big as the common D. fragrans 'Massangeana'. There is another large form called 'Giganta' that has the same markings as 'Massangeana' but with larger leaves that are upright. I didn't get a photo of it.

DSC_1415.JPG

Both are very pretty, I'll be looking out for this one.... last year I got 'limelight' which is solid lime green. 

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine' looks a lot like cordyline 'Torbay dazzler', which is for cooler climates. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Neat. Really like 'Highlighter' Thanks for sharing Eric. 

50 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Both are very pretty, I'll be looking out for this one.... last year I got 'limelight' which is solid lime green. 

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine' looks a lot like cordyline 'Torbay dazzler', which is for cooler climates. 

Dracaena deremensis 'Limelight' is great, that bright lime green color really stands out. We have Dracaena deremensis 'Limelight' in the Evening Garden, it glows in the dark shade.

On 1/22/2018, 8:35:26, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_1415.JPG

Eric here is a picture I took of Cordyline deremensis gigantic. It was the only one at the nursery so I hope it still there come spring. Very nice upright leaves and big plant.  Any idea how tall this one gets? 

DSC_0016.JPG

Mean to type.... Dracaena deremensis 'giganta'. :blush: :lol: :D

They get taller like most D. fragrans.

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

They get taller like most D. fragrans.

Thanks! I'm going to get it next month. To awesome looking to pass up. It will look great in my new part shade garden during the summer. Here a photo of the tallest one I could find on the internet. 

Dracaena-Giganta-14-in.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Hope these are available in Hawaii at some point!

Here is Dracaena deremensis 'giganta' in my garden or at least until the end of summer.  :D This is in my tropical inspired patio area. So it gets seen by a lot of people. So far the response has been overwhelming, WOW!! 

DSC_0043.JPG