IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Emigrating to Australia: Rare hybrid seedlings

Jonathan Haycock

Hi all,

I attempted to conduct research on importing palm seedlings into Australia, but have essentially drawn a blank. 

I have some rare hybrid seedlings of Jubaea, Butia, Parajubaea, and Syagrus. I would hate to have to give these up if we move to Australia. Is there any scope for taking them with us if we emigrate?

Aware seeds are ok providing they are clean, free of fungus and insects, labelled, and on the permitted list. However, this does not help me as there is very little chance the hybrid seedlings I have will be available as seeds.

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

No that will not work.

Not allowed without quarantine and the treatment with ethyl bromide will most likely kill them

Not so cheers

Steve

• Upvote 2

Yes, as Steve said, not worth the pain and expense of watching them get killed by the Australian quarantine death squad. Worse than a Middle Ages hospital in there. If anything survives it, they'd likely die soon after release.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

in Australia there are many species to grow,on the other hand, the butyagrus was also created so that it could be grown in colder areas where it was not possible to grow the syagrus romanzoffiana

GIUSEPPE

It's not impossible, although it is a painful and costly exercise. You have to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Will these hybrids grow in the area I am moving to?

2. Do I want to pay lots of money to have the  Australian Gov't  fumigate live plants and then look after them for at least 6 mths?

3. Do I know a registered plant importer with their own quarantine house that may take better care of them?

4. Would it be better to gift the said palms to a friend or relative to enjoy (with visiting rights)?

Daryl

• Upvote 5

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

2 hours ago, sgvcns said:

No that will not work.

Not allowed without quarantine and the treatment with ethyl bromide will most likely kill them

Not so cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve.

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Yes, as Steve said, not worth the pain and expense of watching them get killed by the Australian quarantine death squad. Worse than a Middle Ages hospital in there. If anything survives it, they'd likely die soon after release.

Appreciate your advice Tyrone. 

1 hour ago, Daryl said:

It's not impossible, although it is a painful and costly exercise. You have to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Will these hybrids grow in the area I am moving to?

2. Do I want to pay lots of money to have the  Australian Gov't  fumigate live plants and then look after them for at least 6 mths?

3. Do I know a registered plant importer with their own quarantine house that may take better care of them?

4. Would it be better to gift the said palms to a friend or relative to enjoy (with visiting rights)?

Daryl

Thanks Daryl,

Do you know of any plant importers that would offer this service? 

21 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Thanks Daryl,

I used to Jonathan, but none of them are still operating...the last couple of imports were done via govt facilities.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

10 hours ago, Daryl said:

I used to Jonathan, but none of them are still operating...the last couple of imports were done via govt facilities.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl,

When you say lots of money to bring them in, what rough total costs are we talking? If the financial aspects are not prohibitive, do you know of anyone that would be willing to guide me through the process?

If you really want to pursue this the following link will let you (hopefully) chase some answers Plant nazis oz

Good luck with the bureaucracy as I think you will need it

Cheers

Steve

9 hours ago, sgvcns said:

If you really want to pursue this the following link will let you (hopefully) chase some answers Plant nazis oz

Good luck with the bureaucracy as I think you will need it

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve.

15 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Thanks Daryl,

When you say lots of money to bring them in, what rough total costs are we talking? If the financial aspects are not prohibitive, do you know of anyone that would be willing to guide me through the process?

On 1/21/2018, 11:50:18, Jonathan Haycock said:

Thanks Daryl,

Daryl

Hi Jonathan, from memory, it cost over $1000 per plant in total..that was 7 or 8 years ago. The plants were not large...6"- 8" pot size..that was for palms. Also imported some plumeria cvs about 10 years ago and they cost approx $250 per plant. Who knows what it would cost now.

Daryl

• Upvote 1