IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow covered windmills

Brad Mondel

I truly HATE snow and ice....My wife always cheers snow while I curse it! Id knock it off the fronds so the cold + weight doesnt break the fronds. We only got a dusting but they called schools .

Off topic is that a DSM under the snow?

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

A beautiful snow scene. That appears to be some bodacious Trachies under all that snow. You should post a photo of them in the spring. Does it appear the owners take care of them? They seem odd landscaping choices for the average SC homeowner.

Son of South, you and your wife have a real weather disconnect. Hope you two can work things out in the future.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Most people here plant them and leave them to survive on their own. These are the only ornamentals in their yard other than typical hollies and boxwood. 

There’s some nice ones at a ice cream shop nearby and a very very tall one near downtown I’ll have to get a pic of. Trachycarpus do the best here, they love the clay soil and the chilly winters. Some Palmettos are around that do good but not as good. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Haha palmatiermeg Im sure we will!

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Brad you pick the wrong year to go back to live in your home state..... just think you may not have to go through this much cold for another 20 years or more, I like snow for the first 24 hrs after that I hate it too. Just think of all the cool plants you'll be able to plant now. Chin up and all that stuff. Hoping for an early Spring for the whole country. :D

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Most people here plant them and leave them to survive on their own. These are the only ornamentals in their yard other than typical hollies and boxwood. 

There’s some nice ones at a ice cream shop nearby and a very very tall one near downtown I’ll have to get a pic of. Trachycarpus do the best here, they love the clay soil and the chilly winters. Some Palmettos are around that do good but not as good. 

I too have noticed that trachycarpus love clay. They will love our normal and even slightly cooler winters, but freak years like this and it will test them. 

Yes I hope never again, I lost many potted bulbs that were frozen solid, hundreds of dollars of my favorite plants. Many palms in pots and in ground. I’m lucky I had a small heated greenhouse to protect the best palms and bulbs. 

I checked on the Butias around town today and they’re completely fried. Palmettos are fine though. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

My Trachy's have just endured 42c temperatures for a few days and look a bit shabby but ok. Snow is just so novel  mine never experience that kind of cold.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

I checked on the Butias around town today and they’re completely fried. Palmettos are fine though. 

Hey Brad, 

How cold did it get in Greenville? I don't think it was much warmer here the lowest depending on the station was between 11-15 degrees. The local Butia's here in Anderson, Pickens and Oconee counties seem to be fine. Here's a local snow covered butia, fortunei and Sabal minor from this past Wednesday.

IMAG0144~2.jpg

• Upvote 2

It got down to 15F here. The ground was driven for over three days. Butias didn’t like it at all. I hate that because Butias are my favorite. 

My chamerops had 2 spears out of 5 pull. No fizzing though. Definitely a die back year :(

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎15‎:‎23‎, mdsonofthesouth said:

I truly HATE snow and ice....My wife always cheers snow while I curse it! Id knock it off the fronds so the cold + weight doesnt break the fronds. We only got a dusting but they called schools .

Off topic is that a DSM under the snow?

Let me guess ... she does non of the shoveling? :D Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

Haha she wrangles the kids while I plow or shovel. Thankfully is rare to get snow so its not a huge deal, usually a dusting that melts later in the day or the next day. But every 6 to 10 years we get one big storm and she helps with those lol

Potted minor and Trachycarpus dead or spear pulled. Planted baby Trachycarpus are flawless. Frozen pots equals death for any palm. 

true I lost phoenix (lorelioii?) seedlings not sure about the spelling,after 8 hours at 32.The little pots froze and the seedlings died.My 3 foot plants survive mid and low 20's with just some burning.So guys dont pot plants to "protect under the porch" it doesnt work.Grow in the ground or in a greenhouse.

• Upvote 1

I bring all my potted plants inside, as they are all marginal even in ground so pots are certain death. Honestly I dont much care for potted plants, and besides my super tender succulents I got from a wedding and my pineapple I dont plan on doing pots long term. Maybe I might pot a chamaedorea radicalis if I get a good mess of seedlings, but most will be experimented in the ground in different microclimates. Would be nice to have a potted version to one day harvest seed from to replace dead experiments and pay it forward for the free seeds!