IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Houston hit w another hard freeze

tstex

Hello to All,

Well, it was 18 degrees this morning and the winds have been tough too.  If we are to have damage again to our palms [Queen, Mediterranean and Sylvestris], how long does it usually take for each species to show signs of damage?  The queens are already showing burnt tips and ends from the last low-mid 20's we had, but the others are not showing anything yet.

Finally, what are the most hardy palms re cold tolerance that will grow well in Houston and not freeze, excluding the Mexican palm. 

Thank you very much and Happy New Year to all, tstex 

• Upvote 1

Butia, butia x jubaea, brahea Armata and mule palms (butia x syagrus) are all pretty cold hardy. Joseph (Texas cold hardy palms) has a ton of other palms that would probably do well for you. I have heard that the cold hardiness of the mule palm varies quite a bit. I know that I see freezing temperatures at my house every year and none of the palms listed above were damaged a bit. 

Good luck 

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  I'll start looking at these type palms and when spring rolls around, I'll know what I need.

Yes, I know the delays on damage can take a long time, esp if the core froze or was damaged.  I was just trying to refresh my memory to discern if there were any immediate signs of detecting damage.  Appreciate everyone's help, tom

• Upvote 2

We'll be in the 70s this weekend and you will see everything except that med fan completely defoliate. We have tons of stuff that will do great in houston and grow a lot of it outside in the Dallas area. 

• Upvote 1

I feel your pain.  We lived in Houston for over a year in 1981, and, the bridges would ice over.  Oh, but, I miss the Gumbo in the little seafood shops, yes, and the oyster bars.  I live in the Bay Area in California, but, have a more central California climate.  Tule fog is out right now, (how I hate to ride my bike in it).  I have a beautiful silver Trachycarpus Princeps you might look for.  My other strategy is putting my most sensitive palms (slow growing) next to house, under eaves, and put less cold sensitive out of that area to transition (lots of C. Radicalis).  Cecile

I had palms take up to 9 months to succumb after the brutal winter of 09/10. But usually they collapse when warm weather returns.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I had palms take up to 9 months to succumb after the brutal winter of 09/10. But usually they collapse when warm weather returns.

I had a large Jubaea once that had total spear pull after a really nasty winter...it did not grow back the following summer but did the second summer, LOL! Of course, we had another really cold winter and that killed it for good. Palm get damage here at a higher temp than most places in the US, and the winter rain really is bad for damage palms. 

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Me too...I lost my P. pacifica with 6 feet of wood about 6 months after the freeze.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

2 hours ago, sur4z said:

Me too...I lost my P. pacifica with 6 feet of wood about 6 months after the freeze.

Yes it takes time to show the full extent of cold damage. I don't think my smallest P. pacifica will make it 6 months, looks pretty rough after the extended 30's we have had.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Hi tstex, you guys have it made in Houston. I visit Houston 2-3 times per year and I am amazed at what you guys can grow. I bet most of your palms will recover from the recent hard freeze. You guys go years without a bad freeze, and some years you are almost frost free. Would love to garden down there.  

11 hours ago, ntxpalms said:

Hi tstex, you guys have it made in Houston. I visit Houston 2-3 times per year and I am amazed at what you guys can grow. I bet most of your palms will recover from the recent hard freeze. You guys go years without a bad freeze, and some years you are almost frost free. Would love to garden down there.  

Its all relative.... I’m longing to be back in Galveston right now 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018‎ ‎7‎:‎52‎:‎27‎, ntxpalms said:

Thanks NTxP's, but last yrs 14-15 and this yrs 18-19 is hitting hard.  Now even the Sago Palms are showing pretty severe damage. 

As stated above, all of the leaves are turning brown and the stems of the frond on the Queens are bending right at the trunk and the whole frond is pointing downward.  I was really bummed to even see the Sylvestri Date Palm show really bad freeze results.  As discussed last year, I'm just going to leave what is on there on there until I start getting new growth, if I do.  If not, it's poor ole chain saw time and my Queens are 2 stories+ tall.  I'll keep you posted.

tstex

On 1/28/2018, 2:19:08, tstex said:

Thanks NTxP's, but last yrs 14-15 and this yrs 18-19 is hitting hard.  Now even the Sago Palms are showing pretty severe damage. 

As stated above, all of the leaves are turning brown and the stems of the frond on the Queens are bending right at the trunk and the whole frond is pointing downward.  I was really bummed to even see the Sylvestri Date Palm show really bad freeze results.  As discussed last year, I'm just going to leave what is on there on there until I start getting new growth, if I do.  If not, it's poor ole chain saw time and my Queens are 2 stories+ tall.  I'll keep you posted.

tstex

Have you found that Sylvestris is more cold hardy than CIDP?