IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cindy Adair

As often happens traveling, a chance meeting at a Miami breakfast diner resulted in an impromptu palm garden tour! 

My tour host was long term PalmTalk member, Wade Kemp, who told me he had in fact been on this forum that very morning.

He reports that some of his trees are more than 20 years old and he thanks both Mike Harris of Caribbean Palms, Dale Holton of Holton Nursery and Andrew and Mike Street (all PT members) for some of these beauties.

With Wade's permission I will introduce you to just a few of his treasures.

First a stunning Coccothrinax sp. ‘Azul’.
DSCN7840.jpeg.9049edc1832037719ac8dd3d4c

Next that’s Wade and me enlisted to show the size of his Copernicia macroglossa.

DSCN7841.jpeg.295d4795f7e0e6a1b24a489ec8
He points out damage from the recent Hurricane Irma, but to me visiting from post Hurricane Maria PR, all looks perfect.

Here is his very cute recently rescued dog sharing the spotlight with a big Hemithrinax ekmaniana.
DSCN7842.jpeg.fab3669c052516942ea128b210

Now two Coccothrinax with C.moaensis, an amazing Cuban species in the front and C. borhidiana in back.

DSCN7843.jpeg.574023257cb3e1957d3dd663de

Although Wade also has mature trees such as this lovely tall Pritchardia thurstonii in the ground,
DSCN7845.jpeg.c81a387d34c701214eab525bf4

even those with limited space can make room for another pot or two.

I liked this beautifully grown Pseudophoenix sargentii confined in a pot for many years showing perfect symmetry.
DSCN7844.jpg.b5803325fbbd52ce6efba8f1975
Later Wade volunteers to help remove some weeds in Miami’s Morningside Park Palmetum before application of a better type of mulch.
DSCN7838.jpeg.25b282ac4f5ccc46c93f0e24e2

Here is the “after” photo of an impressive Kentiopsis oliviformis.

DSCN7848.jpeg.6bfba047678f90a2c939622e95

I even ran into another PT member at the Tamiami Orchid show on Friday.

It was CB Lisa who heard a FL rare plant vendor ask me about post hurricane PR and connected the question with my photo from PT!

She had driven from 3 hours away and it seems long odds we would have connected in the huge crowds at the orchid show’s opening day.

I enjoyed chatting with her and can now connect the name and her posts. Hope to see Lisa at a Biennial in the future too.

So as I enjoy the luxuries of electricity and hot water for a few days, I look forward to more planned and unplanned conversations with fellow palm lovers as always! 

• Upvote 7

Cindy Adair

40 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

As often happens traveling, a chance meeting at a Miami breakfast diner resulted in an impromptu palm garden tour! 

My tour host was long term PalmTalk member, Wade Kemp, who told me he had in fact been on this forum that very morning.

He reports that some of his trees are more than 20 years old and he thanks both Mike Harris of Caribbean Palms, Dale Holton of Holton Nursery and Andrew and Mike Street (all PT members) for some of these beauties.

With Wade's permission I will introduce you to just a few of his treasures.

First a stunning Coccothrinax sp. ‘Azul’.
DSCN7840.jpeg.9049edc1832037719ac8dd3d4c

Next that’s Wade and me enlisted to show the size of his Copernicia macroglossa.

DSCN7841.jpeg.295d4795f7e0e6a1b24a489ec8
He points out damage from the recent Hurricane Irma, but to me visiting from post Hurricane Maria PR, all looks perfect.

Here is his very cute recently rescued dog sharing the spotlight with a big Hemithrinax ekmaniana.
DSCN7842.jpeg.fab3669c052516942ea128b210

Now two Coccothrinax with C.moaensis, an amazing Cuban species in the front and C. borhidiana in back.

DSCN7843.jpeg.574023257cb3e1957d3dd663de

Although Wade also has mature trees such as this lovely tall Pritchardia thurstonii in the ground,
DSCN7845.jpeg.c81a387d34c701214eab525bf4

even those with limited space can make room for another pot or two.

I liked this beautifully grown Pseudophoenix sargentii confined in a pot for many years showing perfect symmetry.
DSCN7844.jpg.b5803325fbbd52ce6efba8f1975
Later Wade volunteers to help remove some weeds in Miami’s Morningside Park Palmetum before application of a better type of mulch.
DSCN7838.jpeg.25b282ac4f5ccc46c93f0e24e2

Here is the “after” photo of an impressive Kentiopsis oliviformis.

DSCN7848.jpeg.6bfba047678f90a2c939622e95

I even ran into another PT member at the Tamiami Orchid show on Friday.

It was CB Lisa who heard a FL rare plant vendor ask me about post hurricane PR and connected the question with my photo from PT!

She had driven from 3 hours away and it seems long odds we would have connected in the huge crowds at the orchid show’s opening day.

I enjoyed chatting with her and can now connect the name and her posts. Hope to see Lisa at a Biennial in the future too.

So as I enjoy the luxuries of electricity and hot water for a few days, I look forward to more planned and unplanned conversations with fellow palm lovers as always! 

...are you still without electricity ?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Dear Cindy,

Thanks for those lovely stills of palms.And very surprise to see some palms growing in big plastic pots and they seem to be very healthy.I was of the opinion that only those planted in the ground grows well.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Serendipity indeed! What a surprise to look up and see someone whose face I’ve seen so many times on her amazing posts of life in Puerto Rico...the incredible plants she’s been able to enjoy collecting and planting down there on her beautiful property (tho maybe just a bit beat up right now!) and the accounts of hurricane ‘survival’ and post-Irma and Marie aftermath! She is just as nice and positive in person as she appears on her posts, and if Cindy is representative of the type of people that attend the biennial trips, I do hope I get the opportunity to join them someday and highly recommend the rest of the PTers consider going as well! 

So nice to see, and keep them coming!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, sur4z said:

...are you still without electricity ?

Hi Peter!

I have perfect (up to 2000 watts total) electricity- if I choose to use my wonderful Honda portable generator. Nothing from the city yet except the much more important water,

Sadly not practical for my current electric hot water, so cold showers are the norm until I can get solar!

Cindy Adair

7 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Palms have made me a luckier and happier man. See you tomorrow, Cindy!

Big nursery show TPIE- hope to see some other familiar faces too!

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

So nice to see, and keep them coming!

Thanks Dave! One day I’ll get to CA...

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, CB Lisa said:

Serendipity indeed! What a surprise to look up and see someone whose face I’ve seen so many times on her amazing posts of life in Puerto Rico...the incredible plants she’s been able to enjoy collecting and planting down there on her beautiful property (tho maybe just a bit beat up right now!) and the accounts of hurricane ‘survival’ and post-Irma and Marie aftermath! She is just as nice and positive in person as she appears on her posts, and if Cindy is representative of the type of people that attend the biennial trips, I do hope I get the opportunity to join them someday and highly recommend the rest of the PTers consider going as well! 

So sweet of you, Lisa!

And the IPS appreciates your plug for the Biennial too.

Thanks!

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Dear Cindy,

Thanks for those lovely stills of palms.And very surprise to see some palms growing in big plastic pots and they seem to be very healthy.I was of the opinion that only those planted in the ground grows well.

Love,

Kris.

Thank you Kris and hopefully Wade will see your compliments too.

He clearly has the keys to good culture!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of Wade's garden. So nice to hear your in town, hope to see you at TPIE.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

great pics Cindy. Keep them coming

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Fantastic!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!