IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sharing the start of my Big Island cool weather palm garden

MKIVRYAN

I thought this would be a great place to share and document the growth of my cool weather palm garden on the northeast side of the Big Island of Hawaii.  I am located at about 2400' and get about 60-80' of annual rainfall.  Summer weather is highs of 80-85 and lows of 65ish.  Winter weather is highs of 75-80 and lows about 55-50 but I did see a night at 45 about a month ago.  I'm a bit colder than I was hoping and that may limit some of the palms I can grow but I do have amazing deep soil that I'm not use to coming from Phoenix AZ and then Kona.  I can dig 3' down in 5 minutes and not hit a rock and only need a shovel to do so.  I have been collecting palms for the past 2 years waiting to move into this house so I have a lot of material ready to go.  The lot is 5 acres.  I would saw 3 are cleared and 2 are still raw.  I plan to keep most of the cleared area open to keep our view and fill in the raw area with palms.  The 2 raw acres have lots of invasive plants so I will be removing those and keeping any natives.  I look forward to comments and input as I'm a newbie with more energy than patience sometimes.  I apologize in advance if I misspell any names or ID something incorrectly.  All the names I will provide are just what I was told or what I recall.  99% of my palms have come from Floribunda or Kalaoa Gardens.  

OK, on to what everyone loves, pictures!  This first group was from about 6 months ago when we purchased the home, moved in, and started clearing some invasive plants 

IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

• Upvote 9

And the first few palms in the ground....  Dypsis ovobontsira, Matroxylon (chewed up by a beetle), Dypsis Pilulifera, Dypsis hovomantsina.  Lots of my palms are a bit stressed with the move from Kona (or Hilo) to my property as I believe the UV is much higher at my elevation, or it could just be my care or the fact that a lot of these palms were rooted into the ground and in pots that were way too small.

IMG_9293.JPG

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9295.JPG

IMG_9296.JPG

• Upvote 10

A trip to Floribunda and I had enough back breaking work for a few days.

IMG_9528.JPG

IMG_9530.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

Edited by MKIVRYAN
more pics
  • Upvote 15

About a month ago I really started to plant.  I put in (3) 15G Cyphophoenix Nucele, 15G Chambeyronia Macrocarpa, (2) 15G Beccariophoenix alfredii & fenestralis, (2) 30G Archontophoenix purpurea

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

• Upvote 12

15G Dypsis Pembana, and a few more being moved into place.  Wishing I had a tractor....   Also a 30G Dypsis pilulifera

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9566.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

Edited by MKIVRYAN
more pics
  • Upvote 11

I will take a break for the night with these final 3.  5G heterospate minor?, 10G unknown, and 5G Dypsis Hiarakae

IMG_9693.JPG

IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_9695.JPG

• Upvote 12

Hi Ryan,

I'm going to enjoy this thread as I am also in the early stages of creating my big island garden. I moved to Hilo from San Diego about 4 months ago. I hope to start a thread real soon for my progress here. Let me know when you are in town and you're more than welcome to stop by. 

Jason

Awesome place and look forward to the progress pics!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

WOWW!! very awesome! Making me want to move over to the big island immediately! I'm looking at trying to move or moving my parents near Hilo/Keaau sometime in the nearish future :)  We used to have a place near Kona such a beautiful place. Can't wait to see more progress. :D Looks like you'll have a fancy botanical garden in no time

Edited by Chatta

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Wow! A truckload of instant gratification palms! Wonderful. :)  Nice way to kickstart the garden.  Your Kona collection should snap out of it now they are in the ground, although your elevation may drag on them a bit.  My place is at 800 ft, more rain and higher lows. I will be interested to follow your progress.  Thanks and post more pics!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow off to a nice start! Sounds like an area with nice sleeping weather. At least you won't have to deal with frost. Can't wait to see what your garden looks like in a few years.

Beautiful, great to put some big stuff in the ground. I'm sure Jeff and Suchin were stoked to sell some of it and know it is going to a good home. Thanks for 

supporting them and the local growers.

aloha

You have scored big-time. When I moved over here there were very few (almost none) large Dypsis, or much else. But looking back, I would have quickly stopped buying any (if available) because digging the bigger holes in the lava took so much time and effort. So, with your soil, you scored on that count as well - a match made in heaven.

They will transform your new home. Certainly a much different feel than Arizona. :)

I'm glad you started the topic so we can all follow the progress.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I'm grateful for all the friendly comments.  Thank you everyone!  Jason- I will be in Hilo for the HIPS auction...   Dean-  I have to thank you for your help and guidance over the years!  I'm not sure I would be into palms nearly as much with the many trips to your amazing garden.  Not sure I would be in HI either.  

• Upvote 1

A few more.  10G Dypsis Lanceolata, 15G Ptychosperma Sp., 10G Areca Vestiaria yellow?, 5G Areca Vestiaria orange, 10G Heterospathe Intermedia.

IMG_9854.JPG

IMG_9855.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

IMG_9862.JPG

• Upvote 9

10G Areca Vestiaria orange (I think I'm pushing at my location for these but I hope they make it as they are so amazing), 15G Foxy Lady, 15G Dypsis ovobontsira, 15G  Bottle and 25G Dypsis lastelliana.

IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9864.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

IMG_9870.JPG

• Upvote 7

Yet another Areca Vestiaria, A pair of 15G Bentinckia Nobilis, a shot of my soil, and a 15G Kentiopsis Oliviformis

IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9910.JPG

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

• Upvote 9

More 

as we all pant 

with envy 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm very envious of your dirt.  Then again, you probably have to be much more vigilant with weeds taking hold more easily and getting out of control.  I'll defer to others who have been on the Big Island longer than me, but I would suggest putting a layer of 1/2" to 1" of black cinder on the top of the palms you plant - one to make it easier to identify what you've planted (in 6 months you may wonder what went where, especially with more recent plantings), and two to make it harder for weeds to take root and compete with your plantings.  I started doing that after about 2 years, and it's very nice to show up after being gone for months and not have much to pull right next to my plants.

Enjoy your new garden!!!

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Justin, yes the dirt is a blessing and curse.  I have been amazed how quickly graded dirt with nothing green on it turns to waist high weeds in about 4-6 weeks.  I would be much further along if I could focus all my efforts on planting and not maintaining the ground I have reclaimed.  I will try out your cinder recommendation.  Thanks!

• Upvote 2

For you Dave :)  10G Ptychosperma Salomonense, 30G Ptychosperma Sp. (has black seed), 25G Ponapea ledermanniana and garden buddy, 25G heterospathe glauca, 15G Pinanga Sp.

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9988.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

• Upvote 6

10G Ravenea San Barenensis, 7G Aiphanes Erosa, 45G Dypsis Leptocheilos, 35G Dypsis Saintelucei

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

IMG_9993.JPG

• Upvote 9

And these pictures bring us up to Saturday where I planted the last of my really big things.  Here is how the day started off.  The goal to plant 10 palms all 20-35G size.

IMG_9944.JPG

IMG_9946.JPG

• Upvote 5

35G Syagrus Amara, 20G Veitchia Joannis, 25G Ptychosperma Salomonense, (2) 20G Archontophoenix Tuckerii, 30G Dypsis Mahajanga, 20G Clinostigma Savoryanum, 25G Rhopaloblaste Augusta, 25G Ptychosperma Sp., and a bit of a group shot with a 25G Dypsis Pembana in front.  Nothing palmy planted since then but I'm hoping to get a group of (5) 20GBentinckia Condapana's in the ground in the next few days.  

IMG_9948.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9952.JPG

IMG_9953.JPG

IMG_9954.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

IMG_9958.JPG

IMG_9959.JPG

• Upvote 15

On 1/15/2018, 10:33:38, MKIVRYAN said:

A trip to Floribunda and I had enough back breaking work for a few days.

IMG_9528.JPG

IMG_9530.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

Wow, bet Jeff screamed a few happy obscenities.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:)  Yeah he was happy to get rid of some of this bigger material that he really does not want to deal with.  I'm hoping to make a return trip soon.

Edited by MKIVRYAN
  • Upvote 1

On 1/15/2018, 10:39:57, MKIVRYAN said:

About a month ago I really started to plant.  I put in (3) 15G Cyphophoenix Nucele, 15G Chambeyronia Macrocarpa, (2) 15G Beccariophoenix alfredii & fenestralis, (2) 30G Archontophoenix purpurea

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6nLEcZPi8Q 

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I am so impressed! I am delighted when mine are one gallon size and I can not imagine having that collection of large beauties.

Lots of work and probably dollars, but so worth it!

I know you will love your place for decades to come and soon will have seeds of everything.

Cindy Adair

Putting so much effort into preparing the ground, purchasing such wonderful palms and planting them finally -

I am really really wishing you all the best with your garden, hoping that all your new plants will do well at their new home!

Best regards and I am looking forward to some updates in a while -

Lars

You are living the dream of many!  Looking at the driveway planting, it looks like you have a general plan in mind? It's a lot of space to create a garden, which can stump some people. You don't seem to be having any problems! B)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks again for all the comments!  Kim,  Honestly that's the hardest part for me.  I don't have a plan.  I feel like I'm going to regret putting things in certain places and not considering the space between palms and the conditions they like.  But I'm just going for it and will deal with the fallout.  I wish I had more vision and planning like so many others here.  Hopefully the palms and plants will just take over and you wont be able to tell that things are just placed wherever.

Here are the planting from the last few days.  been busy planting edibles and bamboo so not as many palms in the ground the last few days.

Pair of 15G Euterpe Oleracae's, 20G Dypsis Lastelliana, 10G Dwarf Euterpe Oleracae, 10G Dypsis Lanceolata, 20G Pelagodoxa Henryana (a bit torn up from recent high winds :( )

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by MKIVRYAN
  • Upvote 5