IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal spotting

enigma99

Noticed some spots have been growing recently on my regia on one leaf. Should I be treating it with anything? Can it spread?

There hasn’t been any frost yet this winter so I am hoping it is just the cool weather and it is benign. 

Pic was hard to take as the branch is a good 16ft up in the air. 

Thanks

EA958C6C-07BC-4E90-B878-E810DC51D3A6.jpeg

35AD6DEC-33D0-4924-B00A-353CD1E89B91.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Looks like some kind of fungus to me, maybe caused by prolonged cool, damp conditions.  Have you tried a copper fungicide or some neem oil?  Those are two potentially organic treatments that shouldn't have any ill effects and only benefits.

Use these only prior to sunrise or at sundown (sundown preferably).  Neem oil, specifically, has been known to stain leaves if applied during high sun.  You want them to sit on the fronds overnight and not get "burnt off."  I do my sprays in my garden either at 8AM or 4PM around this time of year.

Edited by Anthony_B

It just looks like cold damage to me. It always reminds me of over ripe bananas. I see it every winter on species like Hyophorbe v. & Dictyosperma. They get temps just low enough to be unhappy, usually once it drops below 40f. Unless things get colder, yours should be fine.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"