IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my kentiopsis oliviformis toast

Satbch

Somewhere around July I noticed an emerging spear seemed to be stuck to the newest petiole keeping it from dropping. I didn’t think much of it until a few months later when the tip of the short spear started prematurely opening, deflecting bases of all the petioles to the side and starting to split a few of the outer sheaths. I decided to pry off the spear which released with a pretty big pop. In September Irma nailed us and snapped all but 2 fronds with the sheaths soon falling off leaving a pretty pathetic looking palm. When our temps recently dropped about a week ago the 2 outer sheaths popped open exposing what seems to be the base of the spear all bunched up. Anyone have any idea what may have caused this?  I assume chances of recovery are low but we will see. 

I’m including a picture of it’s neighbor down the planter that looks pretty good although a bit ratty on the lower fronds from Irma. Love these palms!

FADEC23D-14C2-4592-AA59-D38FDB12DCAF.jpeg

42C4C7A5-3010-46A9-BC6E-FC6D405AD5E4.jpeg

2920728D-C981-4BED-A17C-FB9378B5D3AC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Looks like a major spear jam to me and from the sounds of it you gave it some much needed relief. You are going to need to open the area above it or it will follow the path of least resistance and come out the side where the new hole was ripped open.

Thanks! There are 2 spears that aren't full length out of the crown with one of them partially open. I'll try prying on both of them to see if I can further free anything up.

• 3 months later...

Thought I’d give an update on my now mutant KO. My wife wants me to dig it up but I’m still holding out for hope that it’ll be a full recovery. 

12E340F3-3F08-481C-A665-E7451CFAD0CA.jpeg

• Upvote 3

From the last picture, for sure it is healthy. It will be a rare spliting kentiopsis...

Keep it growing.

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I predict recovery if left alone..or in place I should say.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

13 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I predict recovery if left alone..or in place I should say.

Ditto :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 years later...

Its bigger brother is full of seeds. I personally liked the way it looked when it was a little smaller.  

IMG_6466 copy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1