IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Deceptive or misleading advertising

Gonzer

I wonder how many homeowners get duped by the type of advertising I'm currently looking at in our local paper. A nursery that is astronomy-based is offering the following: 'Tropical Escape' landscape which includes; 2 'Giant' palms, 1 'Blockbuster' palm, 2 'Huge' palms, and 3 'Super' palms. Regularly $11,300.00 now just $5299.00. 48" date palms, regularly $19,999.00 now just $9999.00. I guess there are still gullible folks out there who still bite at this type of offering.

:floor: If they're that gullible and helpless, perhaps they get what they deserve? :lol:

Some other online "Palm Tree" stores' prices make me giggle too. However, they have lots of item reviews, so yes lots of gullible people out there still these days. :blink: 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

A few days ago I almost got a nice size Golden Rats Tail Cactus until I saw the price.... $65.00...Yikes!  I'm hitting my head against the wall trying to decide if I should get one... LOL! I know this is probably over priced but you don't see then for sale here to often. If they have any left come spring I might get one. Am I plant crazy or what! :rolleyes:

Cleistocactus-winteri-Golden-Rat-Tail1.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

I wonder how many homeowners get duped by the type of advertising I'm currently looking at in our local paper. A nursery that is astronomy-based is offering the following: 'Tropical Escape' landscape which includes; 2 'Giant' palms, 1 'Blockbuster' palm, 2 'Huge' palms, and 3 'Super' palms. Regularly $11,300.00 now just $5299.00. 48" date palms, regularly $19,999.00 now just $9999.00. I guess there are still gullible folks out there who still bite at this type of offering.

Those ads are for the gullible super rich! 

images.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

I am now offering seedlings of Rhopalostylis sapida 'Chatham Island', for only $999.99 !  Get yours NOW, before they sell out !

But wait, there's more, 

FREE SHIPPING and YES, I accept PayPal.  :D   

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I am now offering seedlings of Rhopalostylis sapida 'Chatham Island', for only $999.99 !  Get yours NOW, before they sell out !

But wait, there's more, 

FREE SHIPPING and YES, I accept PayPal.  :D   

If I act now will you double my order for free? Just pay extra shipping and handling???

5 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Think you have it bad?.. open any paper here and they're all over it.. I could dive fairly deep into my thoughts regarding this place but would rather just steer anyone.. and everyone I know or meet away from them. 

That being said, believe me.. they're a bit over the top.. in ad and in person. Those "Special Queen Palms", aren't all that special, for starts ;)

Their name is apropos for the type of full-page advertising they do. Reading their ads is better'n the comics. I like the way we're all respecting management's edict about naming nurseries. :evil:

9 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Hmm, this sounds exactly like a certain astronomy based nursery that I have long been familiar with out in AZ and NV. Looks like they’re in California too. Always drove me bonkers that they can’t just say 5 gallon, 15 gallon etc. Always has to be “big”, “huge” etc. 

Oh and their advertisements are always so beautiful, I knew people around town that just loved going there and throwing money away. I would walk around in them sometimes just because I like looking at plant selections but I always bought things elsewhere.  Oh and they always like selling things that aren’t well suited to the climate. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I'm sick of all the BS advertising I see on TV ad nauseum.   Take the My Pillow commercial. Buy one pillow-- get second pillow free -- and we will even throw in free shipping! Baloney! The cost of the second pillow and free shipping is built into the cost of the first pillow. No business is in business to give away stuff for free. At least not BOGO + shipping on every item they sell.

Show me a car dealer that advertise, buy one car (at MSRP) and we will give you a second car absolutely free, to include free shipping from the factory.

I rest my case.

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms

I have seen ads from Pennsylvania saying Trachycarpus can survive -5 Degrees F easily and never need protection, then at the end the dude had hundreds in 5 gallons...

PalmTreeDude

Advertising is, by its nature, deceptive and misleading :)

How else are they going to get you to buy junk you don't need?

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

"Increase your intelligence or pay double!"

"Sounds like a good deal to me!"

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎20‎:‎25‎, Walt said:

I'm sick of all the BS advertising I see on TV ad nauseum.   Take the My Pillow commercial. Buy one pillow-- get second pillow free -- and we will even throw in free shipping! Baloney! The cost of the second pillow and free shipping is built into the cost of the first pillow. No business is in business to give away stuff for free. At least not BOGO + shipping on every item they sell.

Show me a car dealer that advertise, buy one car (at MSRP) and we will give you a second car absolutely free, to include free shipping from the factory.

I rest my case.

My Pillow.... I think the advertising makes it seem so much more sophisticated than it is. A year or two ago it was in the news that dissatisfied customers opened their My Pillow to find shredded bits and pieces of random fiber/material as if in assembly they threw leftovers and random scraps to fill it up. I remember they either were going to or did revoke some kind of endorsement/certification that had previously been advertised for the product because of that.

It wouldn't surprise me (shredded fill material). Pillows have been made for 100s of years, and I'm to believe the My Pillow is revolutionary in design -- and that it took years to develop it.

On another forum I post at, several people said they were dissatisfied with My Pillow, and said they've bought more comfortable pillow for $10 from K-Mart.

I won't take a stance on My Pillow with regard to its quality and comfort. My only beef with My Pillow is that I'm not gullible and naive enough to believe I'm getting a second pillow and free shipping just for the cost of one pillow.

Mad about palms

10 hours ago, Walt said:

It wouldn't surprise me (shredded fill material). Pillows have been made for 100s of years, and I'm to believe the My Pillow is revolutionary in design -- and that it took years to develop it.

On another forum I post at, several people said they were dissatisfied with My Pillow, and said they've bought more comfortable pillow for $10 from K-Mart.

I won't take a stance on My Pillow with regard to its quality and comfort. My only beef with My Pillow is that I'm not gullible and naive enough to believe I'm getting a second pillow and free shipping just for the cost of one pillow.

So we got a little off-topic. 'My Pillow' looks like it's packed with lime jello, that ain't good for your neck. Try the Tempur-Pedic pillows, you'll sleep the sleep of the dead.

7 hours ago, Gonzer said:

So we got a little off-topic. 'My Pillow' looks like it's packed with lime jello, that ain't good for your neck. Try the Tempur-Pedic pillows, you'll sleep the sleep of the dead.

Sleep of the dead sounds like a mixed blessing . . . .

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Omaha Steaks, a $224.00 value for only $59.99! That's what one commercial touts.

Yeah, right!  As the saying goes: I was born at night -- but not last night!

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

This video just says it.

Maybe too well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_k_VG6Syc

10 hours ago, Walt said:

Omaha Steaks, a $224.00 value for only $59.99! That's what one commercial touts.

Yeah, right!  As the saying goes: I was born at night -- but not last night!

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner! (and as an added bonus we'll throw in two, count 'em, two, FREE pork chops!)

One of my more random jobs after college was working for a couple of shady kitchen salesmen. For closing a sale, the trick was to offer clients a discount if they were willing to allow their kitchen to be used as a 'show kitchen' for prospective clients - for which they'd receive a 15% discount. Naturally, nobody ever came knocking because there was no such thing. So the client would feel blessed not to have had their privacy invaded whilst receiving the discount. A win-win for the client, you might say!

• Upvote 2

eBay is full of 'rare' stuff. I'm amazed by the trend for color-enhanced photos of strangely, radioactive-looking 'lunimous' plants such as the new 'blue' sago palm.

It took me less than 60 seconds to also find this great listing title for Beaucarnea recurvata seeds: 'Rare Palm TreeBamboo Seeds (Phoenix canariensis) Perennial Evergreen Decor'. I mean, who is their target audience?

• Upvote 2