IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

6b/7a windmills

TexasColdHardyPalms

Here are the same windmills that i sold in 2016 to an Amarillo customer. Last January they defoliated 100% but never spear pulled when the temp dropped somewhere around -3f. This pic was about a week after they experienced 5f earlier this year. 

54692.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Impressive! Depending on how mine do this year will determine if Im ready for a takil! These are fastly becoming my favorite palm. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

10 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Impressive! Depending on how mine do this year will determine if Im ready for a takil! These are fastly becoming my favorite palm. 

Real Takil or Wagnerianus? Real Takil is rare in USA. Forms of Trachycarpus fortunei as Nani tal and Wagnerianus are often sold under the name Takil in USA. That said, Wagnerianus has the same hardiness as normal fortunei. Soo you can already plant one. :) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cikas said:

Real Takil or Wagnerianus? Real Takil is rare in USA. Forms of Trachycarpus fortunei as Nani tal and Wagnerianus are often sold under the name Takil in USA. That said, Wagnerianus has the same hardiness as normal fortunei. Soo you can already plant one. :) 

I have real takil, along with nanital and waggys and yes takil are a tough find, but i believe they are the #1 most cold hardy trunking palm period.  

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Cikas said:

Honestly I not that big a fan of waggys. Might grow one once I have others settled in, but Im not in a hurry. A real takil on the other hand is top of the list since I have just procured a fine 7g cerifera from @TexasColdHardyPalms. There are some other variations Id like to grow too like "razerback" or "greensboro" etc but they are mostly just different fortunei genetics. But Im going to ease in a little more since I went from 1 palm in ground to 13 (livistona chinenesis is a clump of trees) in one year. :D

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have real takil, along with nanital and waggys and yes takil are a tough find, but i believe they are the #1 most cold hardy trunking palm period.  

Ill get at you for one of those Takil if spring is good.

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yes real Takil is beautiful. It is bigger in all part than fortunei, leaves are more stiff, they are olive green from one side and very silver from other side. Also split of the leaves is more beautiful. As for hardiness, it is more prone to rot when young compared to fortunei and more sensitive to heat. But it is hardy. :) 

• Upvote 1

Takil is found in the north Indian province of Kuamon.  Fortunei is from China but no one really knows where it originated from since it has been cultivated for many centuries.  

• Upvote 1

How is the crown on a takil over a fortunei? The reason Im not a waggy fan is because their crown is too open. I much prefer the denser fortunei crown.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

41 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

How is the crown on a takil over a fortunei? The reason Im not a waggy fan is because their crown is too open. I much prefer the denser fortunei crown.

These photos will help ( natural habitat ).

600px-_Trachycarpus_takil08.jpg

600px-_Trachycarpus_takil_kalamuni_WP_10

673px-_Trachycarpus_takil_kalamuni_WP_6.

• Upvote 3

Yeah just read something about 20 fronds for takil and upwards of 100 for fortunei. Still want to try a takil, but fortunei is still king for me!

I've been looking at palms that could be grown outdoors in Freiburg, Germany and T. takil looks like it could promising. Here's the climate where T. takil is native to:

5a5b4369c5a5b_ScreenShot2018-01-14at06.4

Apparently it snows quite a bit in winter:

Trachycarpus_takil_%28kalamuni%29_WP_1.j

It definitely seems like it should be cool hardy based on the weather, but I wonder what kind of absolute lows it sees in habitat. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

If 23F is the average low im assuming it gets blasted with some pretty brutal lows. But then again thats an assumption.

I have a customer with 5 Takil in Boston that have been living unprotected for 5 years.  We are waiting to see what happens in the spring as this winter will be the toughest test for them yet.

• Upvote 4

Id be curious to see how they look at peak vs post winter. For how brutal it was here I can only imagine Boston.

On 1/12/2018, 8:17:40, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I hope Takil are as hardy as you and many others believe. I have three in pots that have performed better so far in pots than my other trachycarpus.

I looked at all of the newly germinated takil seed and noticed that they have 2 ridges just like princeps.  I never noticed that until now.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I looked at all of the newly germinated takil seed and noticed that they have 2 ridges just like princeps.  I never noticed that until now.

Sounds right according to Palmpedia:

"Additionally, the first leaves of sprouting T. takil seeds are duplicate (having only two ridges differing from T. fortunei with its quadruplicate first leaves.)"

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

One of the perks of living in a dry climate, not so nice in the summer though.

I also have my eyes peeled for a takil this spring. I attempted seeds to no avail.

Does anyone know if takil leaves are smaller than fortunei? I think I read that somewhere but don't know if its true or not. 

Edited by Palm crazy

On 1/15/2018, 11:34:19, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

TexasColdHardy do you have germinated Takil seedlings available by any chance?

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

13 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Does anyone know if takil leaves are smaller than fortunei? I think I read that somewhere but don't know if its true or not. 

They are bigger, not smaller. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@pin38We will sell germinated seedlings but they will not be cheap.

You have an updated price list? Also what are the biggest takil you have in stock?

On 1/20/2018, 12:43:46, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@pin38We will sell germinated seedlings but they will not be cheap.

On 1/20/2018, 2:08:07, mdsonofthesouth said:

You have an updated price list? Also what are the biggest takil you have in stock?

Ditto, I'd be interested to see selection/prices.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh