IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

N. Ritcheana iran silver cold hardiness 6b/7a Texas

TexasColdHardyPalms

Last year I sold a large nannorhorps ritcheana to a customer in Amarillo, tx (zone 6b) and wanted to share a few pics. This palm is from the Iranian silver population and is just as silver as the best med fan. 

This location dropped down to 4-5f this year which cased a little burn as shown in the pic. As the months pass we'll be able to see just how hardy this cultivar really is. 

56693.jpeg

• Upvote 4

How is this in wet cold?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

These and the greener ritcheana do just find here with precipitation. I know of an Iranian silver in Northern Louisiana that was grown from seed 12 years ago that has never missed a beat. 

• Upvote 1

Very cool!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I've had really good success with the Kashmir version of Mazari. It's a great palm. Mine is about 10 years old from seed. Early on it would lose a spear with temps under 20F. Never lost a meristem though. 

The other forms are tough but had a tendency to croak with wet cold. They're not fond of transplanting.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

On 1/11/2018, 8:02:16, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Last year I sold a large nannorhorps ritcheana to a customer in Amarillo, tx (zone 6b) and wanted to share a few pics. This palm is from the Iranian silver population and is just as silver as the best med fan. 

This location dropped down to 4-5f this year which cased a little burn as shown in the pic. As the months pass we'll be able to see just how hardy this cultivar really is. 

56693.jpeg

Definitely keep us updated on this palm. I really love mazari palms. Most people I've heard from who tried them in zone 7 have lost them, but I think most lost them well before they got as big as this one. I'd be interested to see if they get tougher as they get larger. 

I feel like you can lose just about any palm below 20F in the wrong conditions when they are small. I've lost small sabal minor (rarely though), needle palms, and trachycarpus at temps around 20F.  If they get too wet or too dry, or if they rot after pulling spears, they can die at temps much higher than larger specimens can take. 

Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

• Upvote 1