IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More Dictyocaryum!

bgl

After weeding in my Dictyocaryum grove the other day I figured it was time for a couple of photos (promised long time ago when Tim asked me!), and interestingly they can also display other colors than the blue, which we are so used to seeing. These photos were taken just a few minutes ago. :)

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

• Upvote 22

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

6 minutes ago, bgl said:

DSC_0008.JPG

Nice photos of the crownshafts Bo!  Can you share any full shots of these Dictyocaryums in your garden?  I enjoyed seeing the earlier photos you posted on Palmpedia!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Bo, I was amazed at how well your D. lamarckianum had grown in a relatively short period of time. 

I think mine were in a bit too much shade, so I thinned some canopy out and they seem to be speeding up. Certainly not the fastest palm.

I'll dig some photos out.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Colombia 2003 beside the road north of Macoa296.thumb.JPG.ad141da56da61efc85cb30a103

Certainly stood out. Sorry 2013

Steve

Edited by sgvcns
date
  • Upvote 12

Bo, do you know of any sources on the island for more plants?  I got mine back in 2011, but haven't been able to find any more since then.  I kind of figured there'd be a bunch on island that are producing seed, and that there'd be seedlings for sale.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Aloha Steve, thanks for the photo. You don't see images of mature D. lamarckianum often.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Beautiful Bo, how I wish we could grow those here. You're garden is getting that impenetrable jungle look! 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

These infloresences must be close to a year old now. I'm hoping they open soon and reward me with some viable seed. I sure would like a little (or large) grove of these guys.

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

• Upvote 17

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks everybody for your comments! :) 

Tracy, I'll take some "full shots" and post them when the conditions are right. And Justin, I really don't know of any current source. It seems that seeds are only available infrequently. Dean, those are just spectacular - looking forward to mine getting to that point! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean, if you get seed, I'd greatly appreciate some keikis.  I promise to reciprocate when mine start seeding.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

Dean, if you get seed, I'd greatly appreciate some keikis.  I promise to reciprocate when mine start seeding.

Something I heard about chickens and counting and hatching comes to mind. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I am so happy my little one survived a move and then the hurricanes and is now finally in the ground recuperating. I'll get a photo posted eventually, but nothing like the gorgeous ones shown here!

The stunning Colombia photo makes me glad I opted for the Biennial and Bo's and Dean's photos reinforce that I should get to Hawaii as well!

Thanks to all.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

I feel very fortunate to now live in a climate where I can grow these amazing palms!  Here's mine that was just planted.  Rocky is providing scale. 

IMG_0390.thumb.JPG.c37b41d21f846b6c56bf7

• Upvote 10

On 1/11/2018, 12:42:25, Justin said:

Bo, do you know of any sources on the island for more plants?  I got mine back in 2011, but haven't been able to find any more since then.  I kind of figured there'd be a bunch on island that are producing seed, and that there'd be seedlings for sale.

Thats cuz they were all sold to a vendor down in south Florida where they were all then, sold to eager tropical plant growers. You can guess how many have made it...

Jason, good score! Looks healthy too. They do come around from time to time here on the island and always worth picking up a few. 

Mine grew like rockets for the first year or so, then have been rather slow but steady. 

Here are a few photos from the 'purple garden', where these D. lamarckianum have been in the ground for about 5 years now. 

Three have that pewter/blue crown shaft color and one has a more purple cast. When the leaf sheath comes off, they are spectacular.

Tim 

P1010149.jpg

P1010606.jpg

P1010608.jpg

P1010613.jpg

P1010615.jpg

P1040497.jpg

• Upvote 17

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

great thread!!!!!!

love the color you guys...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 1/11/2018, 1:04:51, Dypsisdean said:

These infloresences must be close to a year old now. I'm hoping they open soon and reward me with some viable seed. I sure would like a little (or large) grove of these guys.

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

You and me both!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for sharing.

Now I’ll cry myself to sleep. :(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 hours ago, realarch said:

Jason, good score! Looks healthy too. They do come around from time to time here on the island and always worth picking up a few. 

Mine grew like rockets for the first year or so, then have been rather slow but steady. 

Here are a few photos from the 'purple garden', where these D. lamarckianum have been in the ground for about 5 years now. 

Three have that pewter/blue crown shaft color and one has a more purple cast. When the leaf sheath comes off, they are spectacular.

Tim 

P1010149.jpg

P1010606.jpg

P1010608.jpg

P1010613.jpg

P1010615.jpg

P1040497.jpg

I was very happy to get my hands on one. Hopefully I can find some more eventually. Yours look great! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tracyand Jason.

Jason, when did you get the dog or was I just oblivious on my visit?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 1/18/2018, 7:48:38, realarch said:

Thanks Tracyand Jason.

Jason, when did you get the dog or was I just oblivious on my visit?

Tim

He arrived from California in early December after completing his 4 month pre-quarantine requirements on the mainland. It's great to have him here, really made the place feel like home. 

On 1/11/2018, 12:14:30, quaman58 said:

Beautiful Bo, how I wish we could grow those here. You're garden is getting that impenetrable jungle look! 

SSsshhhhh, don't tell mine it can't grow here... it might stop growing!!  Bo is a witness!! and Kim too.  Loving all these posted pics, and me and my halogen light are keeping the faith with mine on the nights that might dip below the 40's...

27048571_1620730804659219_118560142_o.jpg

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow Bill!

Congratulations!

Your zone pushing reminds me a little of my cacao trees (in pots of course) that I stubbornly grew in Virginia. Of course I cheated and used a greenhouse half the year.

Cindy Adair

I remember that one Bill. I didn't know it was still plugging away; sweet! Taking a line from the old "Airplane" movie. "Good luck, we're all counting on you!"

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 1/21/2018, 7:36:36, BS Man about Palms said:

SSsshhhhh, don't tell mine it can't grow here... it might stop growing!!  Bo is a witness!! and Kim too.  Loving all these posted pics, and me and my halogen light are keeping the faith with mine on the nights that might dip below the 40's...

27048571_1620730804659219_118560142_o.jpg

So great to see this palm still going strong there! 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Meant to get back to this thread sooner. Tracy, here are a couple of "full frame" photos taken yesterday of my Dictyocaryum grove. :)

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, bgl said:

Meant to get back to this thread sooner. Tracy, here are a couple of "full frame" photos taken yesterday of my Dictyocaryum grove. :)

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Wow, very nice Bo!!

• Upvote 1