IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red and Blue, Side by Side

Justin

One of the advantages of not being in the yard every day is that I'm not constantly tearing off old leaf bases.  So when I do, often it's for a bunch of plants at the same time, and you end up getting shots like this:

26171705_10156373886542437_9156751124597

• Upvote 18

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Exquisite color on the Dictyocarium!  Beautifully grown! Same for the Areca macrocalyx, wow! What a show!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Holy cow. You are growing a dictyocarum lamarkianum? How long have you had that puppy? Did you grow it from seed?

I tried a seedling and killed it pretty quickly. I did know it was a total gamble so I can't complain.

Tell us more about your growing experience. Please.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Tracy, I got two back in 2011 or 2012.  I didn't think much of it at the time, other than I wanted one.  This one is underneath a Banyan tree, more or less at the northern edge of where the Ficus branches provide shade.  So in the winter, the palm is completely shaded, in June and July, it probably gets some northern sun, and year-round it gets sun (well, when the sun is out) in the early morning, before the sun rises and the Banyan tree provides shade.  It's not growing especially fast, but that's unsurprising since the Banyan tree invariably soaks up a lot of water.

I have a second Dictyocaryum about 50 feet away, on the north side of a large African Tulip Tree.  That one was doing slightly better than this one, but then in a wind storm some of the Spathodea branches took out some of the palm fronds.  I expect it to recover, but in the meantime it's not much to look at.

My growing experience has been to give them shade with some sun, give them slow-release palm fertilizer, and otherwise leave them completely alone.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

wow really nice. I have great success with the macrocaylx, but zero with the Dyctocarium (probably tried at least 15, from seed to one gallons, and no luck in any location). Great job

aloha

3 hours ago, Justin said:

26171705_10156373886542437_9156751124597

After you pointed it out, I can see how these have to compete with your Banyon tree's roots for water.  Beautiful palms, that you would never be able to grow back in Vista/San Marcos except maybe in a greenhouse.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

After you pointed it out, I can see how these have to compete with your Banyon tree's roots for water.  Beautiful palms, that you would never be able to grow back in Vista/San Marcos except maybe in a greenhouse.

Actually I have seen Dictyocarium lamarckianum in two California gardens now. I know, shocking!! But remember, they don't like it too hot... and they don't like it too cold -- not so easy to pull off, that's for sure. Hoping to see the California palms develop large enough to show color like Justin's.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

After killing a lot of Dictyocaryums, I have evolved a planting approach, and have kept several alive and growing for a while. Mainly, DON'T plant them in well-drained locations. They like wet feet. Here, they do OK in well-drained locations until we have a "drought", two or three weeks without appreciable rain. The only other things that I find are as sensitive to soil dryness are hapu'u ferns, and possibly Neoveitchia. A bit of shade when young is also helpful.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Justin, they both look really happy!:) The colors on Dictyocaryum palms are always pretty spectacular. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Actually I have seen Dictyocarium lamarckianum in two California gardens now

You have definitely raised my curiosity.  What microclimates are the successful ones growing in? After reading about how they like a tight temperature range, never cold, never too hot and plenty of moisture and detesting dry, I'm trying to determine where that magic zone exists here in California.  (Nice pics Bo contributed on Palmpedia too).

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

In both cases they are under overhead palm canopy on the north side of a house.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

13 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

After killing a lot of Dictyocaryums, I have evolved a planting approach, and have kept several alive and growing for a while. Mainly, DON'T plant them in well-drained locations. They like wet feet. Here, they do OK in well-drained locations until we have a "drought", two or three weeks without appreciable rain. The only other things that I find are as sensitive to soil dryness are hapu'u ferns, and possibly Neoveitchia. A bit of shade when young is also helpful.

Mike, thanks for the information.  I presume I did some research prior to planting mine as far as optimal conditions, but it's been so long I can't remember if I placed mine specifically because of optimal conditions, or if it was just dumb luck.  The one in the photo is in one of the wettest spots in the yard, as it's near the low spot in the lawn, and so when we get big rains it's one of the few places where there will be puddles.