IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm has recovered.

Palm crazy

My mule palm (BxQ) has finally recovered from last spring die back.... I over fertilize it and it went into decline pretty fast. I am happy to say it did regrow back in the summer. 

First photo is form May 2017, Second photo is now January 2018. Very happy with the results and won't do that again. 

DSC00012.thumb.JPG.03703fae117494354fe83b51ac8a5dfd.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

Nice recovery:greenthumb:,looks happy and healthy.

lost similar size Mule for the same reason :badday:

Just observed that your current low is 24 ,any protection?

1 hour ago, petrppetrov said:

Nice recovery:greenthumb:,looks happy and healthy.

lost similar size Mule for the same reason :badday:

Just observed that your current low is 24 ,any protection?

My low tonight is 36F at the airport and nothing colder than that for the next 10 days. Airport is colder than where I am at in town... so probably more like upper 30's for me. My lowest this month has been 29F.  Lowest in December was 25F. I live in Olympia, Washington, z8a. 

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/olympia/KWAOLYMP45?cm_ven=localwx_10day    Sorry to hear about your mule palm. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Have you ever seen large (too big to protect), established Mule palms exposed to 12f temps? The only pics I see of large mule palms unprotected are in zone 9a.

These have seen 18F a couple of times and freezing rain before. The large one has only showed damage after the freezing rain. The smaller one's lower fronds tend to burn somewhat anytime it gets in the low 20s. They experienced an ultimate low of 13.7F last week so time will tell.

2018-01-10_11-43-45_201.jpeg

2018-01-10_11-45-01_335.jpeg

2018-01-10_11-46-27_271.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing Brad! 

Your mules will show us their ultimate survival temperature.

How many hours below freezing you had and did you had any day temperature like below 20 or around? 

Thanks Brad, I didn't know Summerville dipped below 14f.  Your Mule looks great compared to my Butias. Thanks so much for posting. Let's hope for an early spring.

@palmbrad It looks like your palms will recover (from what I can see), but are definitely beat up! Keep an eye on those! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

3 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Thanks for sharing Brad! 

Your mules will show us their ultimate survival temperature.

How many hours below freezing you had and did you had any day temperature like below 20 or around? 

We were in the mid to upper 30s everyday except the day we received the precipitation. We had a high of 30F that day so were below freezing probably at least 36 hours.

18 minutes ago, donnacreation said:

Thanks Brad, I didn't know Summerville dipped below 14f.  Your Mule looks great compared to my Butias. Thanks so much for posting. Let's hope for an early spring.

I couldn’t believe it when the thermometer read that. I believe the forecast low was around 20F.

17 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

@palmbrad It looks like your palms will recover (from what I can see), but are definitely beat up! Keep an eye on those! 

Fingers crossed.

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2018, 7:15:59, palmbrad said:

@palmbrad   Fingers crossed.

@palmbrad   The prognoses now that we're well into summer?

Edited by RJ

Bravo! B)

Mind me asking how long they have been in the ground?

Is that a butia in the back of the second pic? 

The mules were planted in 2011. That is a butia. I have 3 butia’s in total and they only suffered very minor damage to a few fronds.

93A64059-E048-47B3-9CFD-5EA8444E78BF.jpeg

00FEF288-617B-4E65-99C0-667C33A309FF.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...