Well, Make Sure Your Palms Have Good Airflow...

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was unwrapping my Washingtonia robusta and saw that there was definitely green, then once the burlap came off I see this... You can literally see where it goes from cold burn, to healthy, to rot. The spear is still intact, so off to get Hydrogen Peroxide I go.

20180109_125702.jpg

20180109_125717.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Posted (edited)

Thats why I prefer the circus tent. The only thing touching my palms is air. Not even the rope lights touch them (save for the livistona). I wish you the best of luck as I know that feeling as 2 of mine needed peroxide. Hope our palms pull through!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

OUCH

But they're tough.

Let us know if it comes back. I had a Cocothrinax go all nasty, but still tough to touch and rooted in, and back it comes!

Here's hoping for the best for that palm.

.... all you can do now is treat & wait and see what happens. Good luck with it.. spring heat should help get it going again. 

It will be heating up over the week... Hopefully that helps. 

Shoot. That is just bad luck. 

What is the black thing wrapped around the plant?

I realized they get fried whether wrapped or not. Lol

19 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Shoot. That is just bad luck. 

What is the black thing wrapped around the plant?

A heating cable. 

6 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

I realized they get fried whether wrapped or not. Lol

Or rotted when the growth should have been somewhat ok, at the bottom. 

That isn't rot or fungus, that is dead tissue due to cold.  I believe that green your are seeing is where you had that bundle up at the top that prevented the frond from getting too cold.   The worst thing about robusta (and why they are a solid zone 9 palm when young) is that they will elongate the trunk so much where the meristem is several inches above the ground but only has a 6-8" diameter trunk to insulate it.  I highly suggest you move some more of that heating cable closer to the base of the palm as you weren't too far off from death temp on that one.   Filifera will fatten up quite a bit adding additional insulation in conjunction to their increased hardiness as long as they are grown in full sun. Shaded filifera will stretch and significantly decrease their hardiness to cold.