IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID - South Florida, Sketchy looking palms with sharp needles

Gman

Hi Everyone,

I have 4 of these palms in my backyard, probably 15-20ft max. Looks like they may be clumping palms but it's difficult to tell without clearing the area around them. I've only been here a year so I have no idea how old they are. The fronds are lined with needles that are very sharp and rigid.

They are particularly sketchy looking because they are planted in an area with a lot of competition for light, and Irma hit them pretty hard.

Anyhow, can someone ID these palms?

TIA

IMG_20180109_111056.jpg

IMG_20180109_111111.jpg

IMG_20180109_111117.jpg

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

phoenix  reclinata

Looks like it but I can't tell if the crowns are the same as mine. Mine are ugly as hell lol

@Gman I agree with @gyuseppe.  In Florida, they are often hybridized with another type of phoenix to make them a little more cold hardy, but it is difficult to know if and what they mixed with.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

23 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Gman I agree with @gyuseppe.  In Florida, they are often hybridized with another type of phoenix to make them a little more cold hardy, but it is difficult to know if and what they mixed with.

Ok thanks. I'm going to clear some of the other stuff around it and see what I have