Chamaedorea radicalis

22 posts in this topic

Took some pics of my C. radicalis, not the best since it was only 52F, 95% humidity, cloudy and it was getting dark. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Posted (edited)

More.... The one on the cement bench I just dug up and want to put inside the unheated greenhouse to give it extra growth and then put in a new area of the garden like the patio area. 

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Last of the bunch... one of the most hardy feather palms out there. Thanks for looking. 

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

What temperature would you say these get really unhappy at?

Mine are under a bank of snow...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Low 20F I cover them up, mine have dense overhead cover above and other bushes in front of them to block cold winds... they gone through 15F with blanket on top. They always grow back if they do get damage. Amazing little palms. 

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

Mine are under a bank of snow...

The only time I have bad damage is from heavy wet snow that break the branches off. 2" or more can break them, they always recover.  You still have snow, wow, hope it melts soon. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Yeah, but it is supposed to be back up near 70F by Thurs.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Yeah, but it is supposed to be back up near 70F by Thurs.

NIce.... never gets that warm here in Winter....won't be long till spring is here, seeing lots of buds swelling and few flowers getting ready to open here. 

DSC_0012.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

4 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I kept mine in the ground for two winters in the Oklahoma City area, where I got a pretty good idea of when they get unhappy. Mine was planted in a bed on the North West side of my home, but it was in a corner with a brick wall behind it, the front porch on one side, and a sidewalk on the other. With that in mind it only seemed to get damaged after temps got down the 10F to 12F range, though it had overhead protection during snow.

It also has an interesting habit of looking kind of sad but not brown right away. Its fronds tended to brown slowly one by one as we approached spring...at which point it seemed to grow a new frond at about the same rate the old ones died. It never seemed to have more than 6 fronds or less than 3 at any time.

Here it was in June and July 2016. I dug it up when I moved, but I haven't decided yet if I will put it in the ground again or keep it in a pot.

IMG_20160709_111447.jpg

IMG_20160619_164718.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ben OK said:

Here it was in June and July 2016. I dug it up when I moved, but I haven't decided yet if I will put it in the ground again or keep it in a pot.

IMG_20160709_111447.jpg

IMG_20160619_164718.jpg

Ben looks really good .... I try to grow mine in groupings to make them seem fuller. 

Yeah I plan on these being understory up close to the warm concrete of my house. Will circus tent for events like this current one for sure.

Last year I had several out completely unprotected versus two lows of 19, 36 hours below freezing, all started off by a round of freezing rain.   They had zero damage, while mature washy robustas in the area were completely defoliated.   Mine just saw a dry 18 degrees last week unprotected, with zero damage again.  Wish I could tell you where they start to see damage, but mine seem to not care what is thrown at them.

Anything under 15 is where they start to burn to one degree or another.  Add wind and precipitation and your results may vary.  In every instance I have found Radicalis to be more cold hardy than microspadix as the later will have outright stem death at 15F.

I really like this small palm. This is maybe the most cold hardy crownshaft palm species. 

I too like these palms, have a bigger single and a few grown from seeds received by DD. Maybe in two or three years I will try one in a very protected area close to the house.

Chamaedoreas are one of my favourites.

Eckhard

On 1/7/2018, 10:56:42, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Anything under 15 is where they start to burn to one degree or another.  Add wind and precipitation and your results may vary.  In every instance I have found Radicalis to be more cold hardy than microspadix as the later will have outright stem death at 15F.

This gives me hope for growing them here. Been almost a month since I put them in the planter hope they start sprouting soon. 

Just now, DoomsDave said:

If you haven't, already ask for some free seeds! (If you already have, ask for some more.)

Plenty from California, the Land of Fire and Flood.

CLICK HERE AND SEND A PM: ===> http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55388-mo-free-chamadorea-radicalis-seeds/

Almost been a month since I put the ones you gave me in soil, about 2.5 to 3 weeks since I put the heater underneath. Hoping for a 1 month sprout but planning on up to 6 months seeing as its my first time germinating palms. I keep them moist with spraying water twice a day ( the sun in the day helps dry up the soil a bit and also helps heat the pod. No temp monitor in there as its pretty wet, but the house is a steady 70F and the pad advertises 10-20F raise in temperature and the sun during the day helps too! 

On 1/6/2018, 11:09:49, Palm crazy said:

Took some pics of my C. radicalis, not the best since it was only 52F, 95% humidity, cloudy and it was getting dark. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

@palmcrazy super impressed with the plants you are able to grow in zone 8. Incredible. It looks so lush!

25 minutes ago, Tracy S said:

@palmcrazy super impressed with the plants you are able to grow in zone 8. Incredible. It looks so lush!

Thanks Tracy, a new friend of mine that just moved here from Mississippi 6 months ago said he can't believe how green it is here in the winter time.... Can't wait for him to see all the flowers in bloom come spring. 

Here in the PNW we can grow a lot of plants from around the world that other parts of the county can't. Going nursery shopping here is quite the experience with so much to choose from. I'm sure it the same for you. My goal when designing this garden was to have it be really green all year since it so grey and rainy in winter. And to have flowers throughout the year that also provide food for wildlife. Thanks for the comment. 

On 1/9/2018, 8:09:50, Palm crazy said:

Thanks Tracy, a new friend of mine that just moved here from Mississippi 6 months ago said he can't believe how green it is here in the winter time.... Can't wait for him to see all the flowers in bloom come spring. 

Here in the PNW we can grow a lot of plants from around the world that other parts of the county can't. Going nursery shopping here is quite the experience with so much to choose from. I'm sure it the same for you. My goal when designing this garden was to have it be really green all year since it so grey and rainy in winter. And to have flowers throughout the year that also provide food for wildlife. Thanks for the comment. 

Yeah, it's like another planet up there!