IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Washingtonia of Albuquerque

ChrisA

Hello All,

After seeing the google maps post with the address of some large palms in Albuquerque, I was compelled to drive over as soon as I got the change.  At this location there are 3 palm trees that have been there for quite a while.  I am not sure when they were planted, or what kind of protection they have gotten.  According to the weatherunderground website a nearby weather station has recorded a low temperature of 16.4 on 12/8/17.  This is the same lowest temperature I've seen at my west side house this year as well. Most fronds are still green, the only outright dead fronds are those that have expired as part of the aging process; those lie folded down against the trunk in true Washingtonia style. 

Below are photos of all three (don't miss the third smaller palm in the courtyard), as well as a crown close-up, and trunk close-up. 

If anyone has specific information on these individuals I'd love to know their history! If not, I plan on writing an old fashioned letter.

Enjoy!

Alb_Washingtonia 1.jpg

Alb_Washingtonia 2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 7

Lol!  I agree,  somehow missed the Desert Sotols when I was there. :)

Thanks for rounding out the experience! I was hyper palm-focused.

Hey Chris, 

Those are some awesome pictures of the Washingtonias!  I've been trying to look for those palms for so long, and they look amazing right now! Despite being the dead of winter, it's amazing that the fronds are so green. It really has been so warm here and probably wont be much cooler than what it's like right now. If I had never seen that picture before, Albuquerque would be the last place I'd guess of where the picture was taken. Those are by far the tallest palms you'll ever see here :)

I found a few more filiferas while surfing around on streetview which you may have or haven't seen yet. The palms are by the Coors and Paseo intersection in NW Albuquerque. I haven't seen them yet in person but on google street view they look pretty healthy. I'll try to go down there and snap some pictures...

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1830672,-106.6563553,3a,75y,4.65h,86.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNiV2ZzweEWsxYQLs3y_QIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I will also add another list of other palm spots I found to the other forum of the palm locations in ABQ.

-Steve

Edited by samuraipalm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, ChrisA said:

Hello All,

After seeing the google maps post with the address of some large palms in Albuquerque, I was compelled to drive over as soon as I got the change.  At this location there are 3 palm trees that have been there for quite a while.  I am not sure when they were planted, or what kind of protection they have gotten.  According to the weatherunderground website a nearby weather station has recorded a low temperature of 16.4 on 12/8/17.  This is the same lowest temperature I've seen at my west side house this year as well. Most fronds are still green, the only outright dead fronds are those that have expired as part of the aging process; those lie folded down against the trunk in true Washingtonia style. 

Below are photos of all three (don't miss the third smaller palm in the courtyard), as well as a crown close-up, and trunk close-up. 

If anyone has specific information on these individuals I'd love to know their history! If not, I plan on writing an old fashioned letter.

Enjoy!

Alb_Washingtonia 1.jpg

Alb_Washingtonia 2.jpg

Where are the Washingtonias located?

On 1/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, ChrisA said:

Hello All,

Enjoy!

Alb_Washingtonia 1.jpg

Alb_Washingtonia 2.jpg

Chris- The 2 large ones were planted in the mid or late 90's if memory is correct. I believe they were planted 10 feet or so sized. Trucked up from El Paso if memory serves me. They did go thru the 24" of snow in 2006, and -10f in 2011. They were not protected.  The Palm on the left did not show any life until the week of July 4, 2011 after that ten below and single digit high!  I cannot speak to the filifera next to the house. Nice post! Sailorbold might know some more info.  Intel saw -10f, as did Rio Rancho, Corrales saw -11f. 

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I along with my partner and two best friends planted these palms!  I trucked them in from PHX, purchased at White Talk Palms in Late February 1998!!  It took two Jeep Wranglers to pull them out of the moving van!  That was the advantage of being the first house in the cu-de-sac!  Fun times!  So happy to see they are growing strong!

I keep in touch with the current owner.

BTW— There is one in the backyard next to the pool too!

Everyone told me they would die, but 22 years later they are loving life!

Christopher M.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for chiming in and sharing this information. 

Sounds like you went through quite a lot to get these trees in the ground. Looks like your hard work paid off though.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:04 AM, Christopher M. said:

I along with my partner and two best friends planted these palms!  I trucked them in from PHX, purchased at White Talk Palms in Late February 1998!!  It took two Jeep Wranglers to pull them out of the moving van!  That was the advantage of being the first house in the cu-de-sac!  Fun times!  So happy to see they are growing strong!

Christopher M.

Honestly those palms look incredibly beautiful in that setting with the New Mexican architecture and the yuccas. Good job!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2021 at 2:04 AM, Christopher M. said:

Christopher M.

Christopher- thank you for the followup.  One of those palms actually flowered and set seed this year. You could very well soon be a granddaddy! I have watched these palms for a couple decades. 

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, MSX said:

Hey guys, what tree is that?

I believe that is a desert willow...

From today...

20211218_094629.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 3 months later...

Wow, These guys make the Fayetteville washy look WEAK! :P

• Upvote 1

Lucas

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, MSX said:

Hey guys, what tree is that?

unid.jpg

The coarser limb and twig growth looks like a Chitalpa, generally stressed in the desert of central and southern NM. If so, it requires more water than native desert willow and it's often hurt or killed by oleander leaf scorch up there and down here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Desert DAC said:

The coarser limb and twig growth looks like a Chitalpa, generally stressed in the desert of central and southern NM. If so, it requires more water than native desert willow and it's often hurt or killed by oleander leaf scorch up there and down here.

Thanks! I like the branching of this tree. It's interesting how to tell the difference between Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) and Chitalpa tashkentensis just by looking at bare winter crowns? Desert willow seem to have seed pods hanging on the tree through the winter, something Chilopsis doesn't have, how true is that?

I suppose this is Chilopsis linearis (desert willow)?

ab76f36a5df35cd618bd145751f151ael-m3793303136xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

dc3d7b7a5a4d7a0ccf4974432f848cael-m4268144000xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

dc3d7b7a5a4d7a0ccf4974432f848cael-m1439533331xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, MSX said:

Thanks! I like the branching of this tree. It's interesting how to tell the difference between Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) and Chitalpa tashkentensis just by looking at bare winter crowns? Desert willow seem to have seed pods hanging on the tree through the winter, something Chilopsis doesn't have, how true is that?

ab76f36a5df35cd618bd145751f151ael-m3793303136xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

dc3d7b7a5a4d7a0ccf4974432f848cael-m4268144000xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

dc3d7b7a5a4d7a0ccf4974432f848cael-m1439533331xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Looks like Desert Willow to me.. Nice specimens too.

• Upvote 1

I can confirm Chitalpa don’t produce seed pods. I have two of them and they have straight branching like most trees. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, MSX said:

Your later photos are definitely of a desert willow. Agreed on seed pods (Chilopsis) vs. none (Chitalpa), too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 2:22 AM, jwitt said:

Chris- The 2 large ones were planted in the mid or late 90's if memory is correct. I believe they were planted 10 feet or so sized. Trucked up from El Paso if memory serves me. They did go thru the 24" of snow in 2006, and -10f in 2011. They were not protected.  The Palm on the left did not show any life until the week of July 4, 2011 after that ten below and single digit high!  I cannot speak to the filifera next to the house. Nice post! Sailorbold might know some more info.  Intel saw -10f, as did Rio Rancho, Corrales saw -11f. 

I recall the bad cold in ABQ about ten years ago. No doubt these looked dead by winter's end. They sure look good now.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen the big California fan palms in 2022, did they seed this year? Are they alive? Please let me know thanks

Screenshot_20221105-100316.png

On 8/30/2022 at 3:42 PM, SailorBold said:

Here is a late summer pic of my TorC filifera... getting some size..

20220830_161037.jpg

Don't you also have a giant BxJ hybrid?

On 11/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, GabrielPalms said:

Has anyone seen the big California fan palms in 2022, did they seed this year? Are they alive? Please let me know thanks

Screenshot_20221105-100316.png

I was there a few months ago, I wish I had checked it out. I did see a handful of Washingtonias that were alive, but none that size. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

6 minutes ago, GabrielPalms said:

I went to go see the big Washingtonia Filiferas yesterday and they look pretty good! Very Healthy and big.

IMG_20221108_090731.jpg

IMG_20221108_090717.jpg

They also trimmed them from this photoPolish_20221109_152458112.png.2ca0785a9f882e24e0ceb76cc615911d.png

Edited by GabrielPalms
  • Upvote 1

Had to upvote you Gabriel. You actually deserve 2, just for the traffic/roadwork. Some know!

There is a poster(ltapia) who I think said he got seeds this year.  It first seeded last year, I believe.

They browned out in mid February this year after seeing 7f.  They were full on green til that time.

Screenshot_20220921-092434.png

Edited by jwitt

On 2/4/2021 at 2:04 AM, Christopher M. said:

Christopher M.

Christopher, Not sure if you are aware.  For quite sometime(nearly 10 years), these palms have been visible from the southbound lanes of 528.  It's actually a stunning view.  They are becoming well above the neighborhood treeline.  I really want  to walk one of these days and get a shot. 

So, for the some of us, we see your end result, near daily and rarely if ever even enter that neighborhood. 

Thank you!

On 11/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, jwitt said:

Had to upvote you Gabriel. You actually deserve 2, just for the traffic/roadwork. Some know!

There is a poster(ltapia) who I think said he got seeds this year.  It first seeded last year, I believe.

They browned out in mid February this year after seeing 7f.  They were full on green til that time.

Did they really seed this year? I thought they didn't, but I don't know. I hope they seed next year, I will go check them out next year also. 

This photo was on Google maps in February 2022 and you can see the old flower stalk in the red circle. Polish_20221111_195216569.png.8ecdc2f504755a63dad20b1db254aca4.png 

Does anyone have any pictures of the flowers or seeds?

Edited by GabrielPalms

On 2/6/2021 at 11:58 AM, jwitt said:

Christopher- thank you for the followup.  One of those palms actually flowered and set seed this year. You could very well soon be a granddaddy! I have watched these palms for a couple decades. 

Hey jwitt when exactly did the Washingtonia Filifera flower? In February? The reason why I say February is because when you said they flowered it said you posted it in February. 

13 hours ago, GabrielPalms said:

Hey jwitt when exactly did the Washingtonia Filifera flower? In February? The reason why I say February is because when you said they flowered it said you posted it in February. 

Fall 2021 it set seed 

I swear someone said they had seeds sprouting from this year's collection. Maybe I am going senile.

Edit- nope, not senile.  

Screenshot_20221112-095835.png

Edited by jwitt
Found post

On 11/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, jwitt said:

I like the data table you have here.  Is that a local thing or is it available for all NOAA stations?

1 hour ago, Cody Salem said:

I like the data table you have here.  Is that a local thing or is it available for all NOAA stations?

www.weather.gov

All their stations 

On 11/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, GabrielPalms said:

Did they really seed this year? I thought they didn't, but I don't know. I hope they seed next year, I will go check them out next year also. 

They did seed this year actually have seedlings growing right now got a ton from a buddy that knows the owner I can give you some let me know ?

Edited by Ltapia
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Ltapia- if you have an extra seedling or two come Feb, or some seed, I would be very interested.  

Yeah I can give you seeds now