Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Large Washingtonia of Albuquerque

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

After seeing the google maps post with the address of some large palms in Albuquerque, I was compelled to drive over as soon as I got the change.  At this location there are 3 palm trees that have been there for quite a while.  I am not sure when they were planted, or what kind of protection they have gotten.  According to the weatherunderground website a nearby weather station has recorded a low temperature of 16.4 on 12/8/17.  This is the same lowest temperature I've seen at my west side house this year as well. Most fronds are still green, the only outright dead fronds are those that have expired as part of the aging process; those lie folded down against the trunk in true Washingtonia style. 

Below are photos of all three (don't miss the third smaller palm in the courtyard), as well as a crown close-up, and trunk close-up. 

If anyone has specific information on these individuals I'd love to know their history! If not, I plan on writing an old fashioned letter.

Enjoy!

Alb_Washingtonia 1.jpg

Alb_Washingtonia 2.jpg

Last one exceeded the size! :)

Here it is:

Alb_Washingtonia 3.jpg

Those are nice dasylirion wheeleri as well. 

Lol!  I agree,  somehow missed the Desert Sotols when I was there. :)

Thanks for rounding out the experience! I was hyper palm-focused.

Posted (edited)

Hey Chris, 

Those are some awesome pictures of the Washingtonias!  I've been trying to look for those palms for so long, and they look amazing right now! Despite being the dead of winter, it's amazing that the fronds are so green. It really has been so warm here and probably wont be much cooler than what it's like right now. If I had never seen that picture before, Albuquerque would be the last place I'd guess of where the picture was taken. Those are by far the tallest palms you'll ever see here :)

I found a few more filiferas while surfing around on streetview which you may have or haven't seen yet. The palms are by the Coors and Paseo intersection in NW Albuquerque. I haven't seen them yet in person but on google street view they look pretty healthy. I'll try to go down there and snap some pictures...

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1830672,-106.6563553,3a,75y,4.65h,86.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNiV2ZzweEWsxYQLs3y_QIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I will also add another list of other palm spots I found to the other forum of the palm locations in ABQ.

-Steve

Edited by samuraipalm