IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

With all the snow in the Southeast, has anyone seen or taken pictures of native stands of palms in snow? I am sure there are tons of Sabal minor covered in snow in both Carolinas and stands of Sabal palmetto covered in snow in South Carolina and Georgia, also Bald Head Island, N.C. 

PalmTreeDude

I just browsed through 392 photos linked on weather.com and towards the end there are heaps of photos of palms, from South Carolina and Georgia, in the snow from this recent storm. 

https://weather.com/photos/news/2018-01-03-winter-storm-grayson-photos

At the link below is a photo of palms that are dying on the beach in Ocean City, Maryland right at the top.  I think they were Queen palms, but it was tough to discern given the sad state of affairs there...

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/01/us/cold-weather-arctic-outbreak-cnnphotos/

Continue scrolling down for more amazing photos.

Hope the south warms back up quickly!

3 hours ago, ChrisA said:

I just browsed through 392 photos linked on weather.com and towards the end there are heaps of photos of palms, from South Carolina and Georgia, in the snow from this recent storm. 

At the link below is a photo of palms that are dying on the beach in Ocean City, Maryland right at the top.  I think they were Queen palms, but it was tough to discern given the sad state of affairs there...

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/01/us/cold-weather-arctic-outbreak-cnnphotos/

Nice! I found a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOXBu_qFEY

PalmTreeDude

Those palms look so sad with the fans all weighted down by the ice and snow. My Cali looks the same when it gets snowed on.

11 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Those palms look so sad with the fans all weighted down by the ice and snow. My Cali looks the same when it gets snowed on.

Yeah, they do look pretty sad. But, the good thing is these palms are able to handle this type of weather and I am sure the taller ones have been through this before. 

PalmTreeDude

Check out this video which states the location in Virginia Beach, VA!  The forecast for Virginia Beach is frigid with the next few days with highs in the low to mid twenties and mid teens at night!  Can these large sabal palm withstand that??

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ChrisA said:

In the second link the palm in the middle is a Coconut. There is a Washingtonia behind it.  The others im not sure but likely queens.  Sad to see.  

Likely this year many of the palms along the boardwalk will die.  The larger ones a block or so inland or more will probably be just fine save for some freeze damage.   THere are some very old and tall sabals in Va Beach that have been there for decades that have seen this before.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

Check out this video which states the location in Virginia Beach, VA!  The forecast for Virginia Beach is frigid with the next few days with highs in the low to mid twenties and mid teens at night!  Can these large sabal palm withstand that??

They can survive the highs and lows, but with all that wind on the beach, I am sure pretty much all will be defoliated or burn badly. The Sabals on the beach look pretty bad because all winter long they get hammered by cold winds right off of the ocean, Virginia Beach is a pretty windy place! Sabals about a mile inland from the beach pretty much always look great once they are established, there are a lot with full heads. The thing about them is pretty much all of them are from Florida, so if they are not established they can die pretty easily the first winter or two. I am sure some newer ones on the beach will be lost. 

Here are some that don't look too bad. I wonder how these are fairing right now. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8512181,-76.0205889,3a,75y,6.82h,80.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srb_l0uJynJH6LgieKIAvLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8512843,-76.0147882,3a,26.5y,8.27h,89.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqfpHtssGiAY5of1tsOXa3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8470187,-76.0356822,3a,90y,326.59h,85.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm9-YWbvY6fMdPjQSYdNWrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (Some new transplants mixed in with these.)

Look at this one. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8473503,-76.0352518,3a,15y,291.68h,93.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGwKBcU8To8It6HOWNwQ1JA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PalmTreeDude

On 1/4/2018, 2:57:43, PalmTreeDude said:

With all the snow in the Southeast, has anyone seen or taken pictures of native stands of palms in snow? I am sure there are tons of Sabal minor covered in snow in both Carolinas and stands of Sabal palmetto covered in snow in South Carolina and Georgia, also Bald Head Island, N.C. 

Here in Leland/Wilmington, I have seen thousands of snow-covered palms over the past week.  As for natives, we were walking along the Brunswick River yesterday and there was lots of minor caked in snow and ice, but I didn't snap any pictures.  I posted a thread of the palms in my front yard coated in snow and freezing rain.  They all look fine so far despite seeing single digit temperatures, 7 nights in a row in the teens and virtually no time spent above 34-35 degrees in the past week.  This weather is unprecedented for the area.

My lowest temp this week was 8.  8!  I also had 10 and 11 degree minimums on other nights.

I went to Southport today and took photo of possibly the most northeastern native palm in the US on Battery Island.

64K07Evh.jpg

The cold snap ends tonight and it is 50's and 60's moving forward for awhile, so hopefully everything recovers just fine.

Edited by Anthony_B
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Anthony_B said:

The cold snap ends tonight and it is 50's and 60's moving forward for awhile, so hopefully everything recovers just fine.

I'm on the other side of the river from Leland, and my lowest this week was 12.  I'm expecting lots of damage / lost spears from this.  With the rain, then ice then snow in all the crowns of my palms before the extreme lows, it probably won't be pretty in the spring.  The last time we had some precipitation and a freeze into the teens (for maybe one or two days) all of my Trachys and most of my Butia lost their spears, The Trachys all recovered no problem, but I had one smaller Butia outright die.  This wet freeze is pretty epic, so im guessing any non Sabal palms are going to take a hit.  Even the ground is frozen this time, I feel like I'll be investing in many bottles of peroxide this spring.  Sadly, this year was the test for my Washy to be left on it's own without protection,  I can hope the bit of filifera DNA it has helps it pull through.  My mule has been wrapped up with lights, and the lowest temp I recorded in there was 21, hopefully no damage there...5a52b56fcfb6f_IMAG0509(2).thumb.jpg.1410    

The view Thursday morning when I was brave enough to look out back from my bedroom window at three of my iced up windmills.  

Edited by Joe NC
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I'm on the other side of the river from you in Leland, and my lowest this week was 12.  I'm expecting lots of damage / lost spears from this.  With the rain, then ice then snow in all the crowns of my palms before the extreme lows, it probably won't be pretty in the spring.  The last time we had some precipitation and a freeze into the teens (for maybe one or two days) all of my Trachys and most of my Butia lost their spears, The Trachys all recovered no problem, but I had one smaller Butia outright die.  This wet freeze is pretty epic, so im guessing any non Sabal palms are going to take a hit.  Even the ground is frozen this time, I feel like I'll be investing in many bottles of peroxide this spring.  Sadly, this year was the test for my Washy to be left on it's own without protection,  I can hope the bit of filifera DNA it has helps it pull through.  My mule has been wrapped up with lights, and the lowest temp I recorded in there was 21, hopefully no damage there...

The view Thursday morning when I was brave enough to look out back from my bedroom window at three of my iced up windmills.  

If it makes you feel better, this was the sight in my backyard yesterday.

vc4KWBuh.jpg

If you're looking for someone to blame, blame me.  I brought Philadelphia with me when I moved here in October.  This week is the equivalent to a northwestern Philly suburban January week.  My father had -9 this morning in NJ, he texted me a picture of his weather station.  My jaw almost hit the floor.

I will be devastated if my butia gets hurt.  The specimen in my front yard is absolutely gorgeous.  There are so many giant specimens in my neighborhood.  It will be a sight to see the recovery period.  I was down on 2nd & Market last night and the epic robusta was frozen over.  It was in the teens.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2350845,-77.9473627,3a,19.2y,259.01h,95.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ4EgVwm_NmOf6Dfm8ikD3Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I am constantly enamored with this robusta, you know, because "it shouldn't grow here" but it does.  I've observed it for 2 winters and each winter it gets defoliated but always comes back strong and with a full crown.  This winter will probably be the biggest test it's ever seen.

Edited by Anthony_B

My Washingtonia robusta was defoliated at 19 degrees F. I have a heating wire around it and it is wrapped up. All my other palms were left uncovered for the first time (except for my Needle Palm, of course) so once things heat up it will be interesting to see how they did. So far the two least damaged palms are my Needle Palm, which has no damage, and my Windmill Palm, which has the tips burned. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

19 hours ago, Anthony_B said:

I will be devastated if my butia gets hurt.  The specimen in my front yard is absolutely gorgeous. 

I did a quick check on a couple of Butia in the yard, and the smallest will have at least 3 emerging leaves pull, and the largest will definitely show damage, probably a crispy frond or two and some bands of damage on emerging leaves.  Maybe a spear pull?  

5a53cc2aef47c_unnamed(5).thumb.jpg.67981

My smallest Butia showing the 3 newest emerging leaves which will be toast and probably pull.

5a53cc29e3f36_unnamed(4).thumb.jpg.6e75f

My largest showing damage to the newest emerging spears.

No signs of damage yet on the Butia with some Jubaea DNA in it, but I'm expecting a bit of damage to the emerging spear.