IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bali November 2017

greysrigging

Had an extended holiday on the Indonesian island of Bali back in Nov-Dec. My first visit there despite my home town of Darwin Australia being only 2 and a bit hours away.

November is perhaps not the ideal time to visit as it is the beginning of their 'Wet' season and those not acclimatised to the high temps and humidity find things a bit trying. My partner and I coped quite well as we hail from a region of Northern Australian that has a brutal monsoonal climate.

Bali is blessed with rich volcanic soils and generous abundant rainfall so the whole island has a lush tropical look. It is a very 'palmy' place with lots of native and exotic palm species in cultivation. There are extensive highland areas above 1000m and the highest point is the Mt Agung volcano at over 3000m ASL.

2xyieaS.jpg

My home town of Darwin receives about 1800mm /70" of rain a year but it falls in 4 or 5 months then a prolonged seasonal drought. We also have poor shallow soils that are hard on the average gardener. Bali on the other hand would be a gardeners paradise !

Orchid display at the airport.

NXLTlB9.jpg

Some photos of our trip, which,, was only supposed to be 6 days but the volcano erupted and we were stranded for an extra 9 days before we could get a flight home. Oh well, there's worse places to be stuck....lol.

pUnw2wz.jpg

vTnk9FQ.jpg

VQ8UBX8.jpg

eLyfFFH.jpg

uzSn9hT.jpg

wK1y14J.jpg

0mlvu5S.jpg

b7CUqSt.jpg

gfYUNoG.jpg

OUkQ3dm.jpg

Rained every day of our trip !

G79QY8q.jpg

iqpQcxq.jpg

• Upvote 4

Beautiful tropical paradise !

Mm7RBnO.jpg

vgOmsjH.jpg

ZMk7Dea.jpg

dWCsZJM.jpg

VClGq9I.jpg

WAV0ppQ.jpg

4rdQ1uT.jpg

4b3Qwty.jpg

Elephant reckons these fan palm fronds are very tasty !

fJ46GqY.jpg

1rEYjy5.jpg

cZnMvsz.jpg

84ZwCcS.jpg

ERGCI97.jpg

8EL1939.jpg

bcLgFDn.jpg

F5Ekdg2.jpg

QKRykgJ.jpg

CzieCtb.jpg

• Upvote 5

Nice tour.I assume the soil is volcanic.Which is the reason for that lush greenery.along with regular rainfall.

Thanks.

Kris. 

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Great shots mate. I love Bali, have been there twice myself.

Just a curious question in comparison, did the heat and humidity feel similar to Darwin? Which is more oppressive?

I have only been to Darwin myself in the dry season and Bali in the wet.