IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My house and palms on Barrier Island, Brevard County

Yunder Wækraus

I am moving to Cairns, Australia, and we have decided to sell our home as owners (no realtor). I never finished landscaping the house, but most of what is left involves putting in sprinklers and a new lawn. I did succeed in planting the core plants, including mature Everglades palms, a mature royal palm, and a coconut that was big enough to fruit within two years of being planted. Hurricane Irma hit us hard (it killed all five of my large papayas and stripped my rainbow eucalyptus back to the trunk), but most of my plants have bounced back from it. We are in a unique spot (as those of you who follow the weather thread know): though we are far north compared to Miami, most winters are solid 10b winters, and on my street, at least, I have neighbors who have lived here since before the freezes of the '80s who had coconuts survive. We have had neither frost nor freeze since I moved here, though, again, freezes have happened at various times in the past. There are multiple mature coconut trees on our block, including some that are over two stories tall. It breaks my heart to leave my plants, especially my two beloved Pseudophoenix sargentii and my Coccothrinax argentata, so if you know someone who's in the market who is a palm lover, please point them in my direction. I can't stand the thought of my plants being bulldozed. I include a post-hurricane picture of my royal palm with an epiphytic cactus which I took this morning. The rocks you can see on the right are genuine coquina from Merritt Island. At least Cairns will have even cooler plants, eh?

HOUSE_2018_SALE - 1.jpg

• Upvote 9

The sunshine state will miss you.  Hope you enjoy your time down in Oz!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Huge congrats on the move! If it gets any colder here I'm coming with you. :D

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

From one sunshine state to another. Essentially you're just moving across town. You'll love it here. All the best with your move.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

Hi Yunder, we hope that you like it there. You probably will. We would. It is a big move , how did that happen?

They have hot summers up there in Cairns, cool plants not summer temps. No freezes though ... ever.

Sell your jumpers and buy some thongs. :-) 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Hi Yunder, we hope that you like it there. You probably will. We would. It is a big move , how did that happen?

They have hot summers up there in Cairns, cool plants not summer temps. No freezes though ... ever.

Sell your jumpers and buy some thongs. :-) 

Accepted a job at the university there. I doubt their summers are any hotter than July in the a Everglades :-) I don't think I've worn a coat more than twice in two years in Florida, and that was too much for me! I'm excited to finally live in the tropics.

• Upvote 1

Very jealous here!  Have you picked out your neighborhood to live?  There are several drier or cooler areas around the Cairns area because of the mountains and sea effects.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

And it's not too far from wild black palm cockatoo habitat! :wub: Uber jealous! 

• Upvote 4

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Very jealous here!  Have you picked out your neighborhood to live?  There are several drier or cooler areas around the Cairns area because of the mountains and sea effects.

I'm hoping to live in the Smithfield area near JCU

7 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Accepted a job at the university there. I doubt their summers are any hotter than July in the a Everglades :-) I don't think I've worn a coat more than twice in two years in Florida, and that was too much for me! I'm excited to finally live in the tropics.

You're a professor? What subject? Feel free to message me if that's more info than you want public.

• Upvote 1

Good luck with the move!

• Upvote 1

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Congrats, again and good luck on the new adventure and job opportunity!!

We have family friends who had done the reverse years ago. Can't imagine the logistics involved but certainly exciting to have the chance to experience and explore a completely new environment.  Life is certainly too short not to at least give it a try..

I expect plenty of pictures once the dust settles.:D

Good luck,

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

Congratulations on your move! It will certainly be fun for you to relocate half way around the world. I'm sure you have done your research, but for the others here, Cairns is similar in summer to Miami, and warmer than Indiatlantic, but winters are warmer than Miami and rainfall is higher, so better palminess for sure! You just have to look at the local vegetation to get an idea. The main difference I have found is that the sun in Queensland has much more bite to it than the sun in Florida. UV levels here are a fair bit higher and you can really feel it burning your skin, which makes you feel hotter, regardless of the ambient temperature.  I look forward to your reports on the move and adjustment to life in Oz...it would be interesting to get a newcomer's perspective!

• Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks for the kind words. We decided to rent the house instead of sell it, at least for now. 

• Upvote 1

Queensland is on my must-see list, Yunder. I am very jealous.

Even if you were to sell your house instead of renting it, I doubt that anyone would raze your landscaping.  I am also not confident that a Pseudophoenix Sargentii will transplant well to another PalmTalker's garden.  I thought I had read on PalmTalk they will die when transplanted after becoming established. 

Congratulations on scoring a move to Cairns!

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2018, 12:38:30, Yunder Wækraus said:

I am moving to Cairns, Australia, and we have decided to sell our home as owners (no realtor). I never finished landscaping the house, but most of what is left involves putting in sprinklers and a new lawn. I did succeed in planting the core plants, including mature Everglades palms, a mature royal palm, and a coconut that was big enough to fruit within two years of being planted. Hurricane Irma hit us hard (it killed all five of my large papayas and stripped my rainbow eucalyptus back to the trunk), but most of my plants have bounced back from it. We are in a unique spot (as those of you who follow the weather thread know): though we are far north compared to Miami, most winters are solid 10b winters, and on my street, at least, I have neighbors who have lived here since before the freezes of the '80s who had coconuts survive. We have had neither frost nor freeze since I moved here, though, again, freezes have happened at various times in the past. There are multiple mature coconut trees on our block, including some that are over two stories tall. It breaks my heart to leave my plants, especially my two beloved Pseudophoenix sargentii and my Coccothrinax argentata, so if you know someone who's in the market who is a palm lover, please point them in my direction. I can't stand the thought of my plants being bulldozed. I include a post-hurricane picture of my royal palm with an epiphytic cactus which I took this morning. The rocks you can see on the right are genuine coquina from Merritt Island. At least Cairns will have even cooler plants, eh?

HOUSE_2018_SALE - 1.jpg

Welcome to Australia Alex,

I wish I could move to Cairns as well but not possible at least not for a foreseeable future ,

I wonder, price wise, could you buy a nice property when you sold your old one in US?

Best

Mohsen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Welcome to Australia Alex,

I wish I could move to Cairns as well but not possible at least not for a foreseeable future ,

I wonder, price wise, could you buy a nice property when you sold your old one in US?

Best

Mohsen

My visa does not allow me to own property in Australia :-(

My final goodbye to the royal I had put in during the summer of 2015. It has survived two hurricanes and lots of salt spray. 

IMG_5809.JPG

• Upvote 4

@Yunder Wækraus A heartbreaking goodbye I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

18 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

:(

18 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

My final goodbye to the royal I had put in during the summer of 2015. It has survived two hurricanes and lots of salt spray. 

IMG_5809.JPG

If you’re just renting your house, at least for now, maybe not a final good bye, just a ‘see ya later!’?

That must be very sad leaving your palm collection and garden, altho to quite an exciting place! But if it’s being rented and when you have the chance to return, you’ll get to really appreciate the growth of what you started!  :D

• Upvote 1

Yunder,

Sounds like a great sabbatical! Do not forget to take some pond apple seeds! Just kidding and best to you and your family.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

20 hours ago, bubba said:

Yunder,

Sounds like a great sabbatical! Do not forget to take some pond apple seeds! Just kidding and best to you and your family.

:-)

On 1/9/2018, 5:55:02, Yunder Wækraus said:

too bad, so maybe rent your house to a palm lover and don't sell!?

• Upvote 2