IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too cold for too long...C. renda?

CB Lisa

39 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

Lisa, welcome to the forum. Your Lipstick palm is very nice and glad to hear it's doing well. I will say, they will go through 40's and do well. I'm not recommending this, but I've grown a couple over the years and experienced this. Where did you buy yours and how log have you had it?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, and thank you! It’s taken me a while to get brave enough to post here! Lol! We’ve met, at your last spring sale, and you and I spoke a little while back about a Pigafetta filaris I need to rehome to someone way down south, especially after this chilly wake up call! Need to make that happen!

I must give Mike at MB Palms credit for getting this lipstick off to a great start! I’ve had it a couple of years and it has truly been a rocket...close to double the size when I brought it home! Must be loving life over here on the coast! B)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

Lisa, welcome to the forum. Your Lipstick palm is very nice and glad to hear it's doing well. I will say, they will go through 40's and do well. I'm not recommending this, but I've grown a couple over the years and experienced this. Where did you buy yours and how log have you had it?

Jeff

Oh, and thank you for the feedback on having had them go through the 40s! That’s really good to know, but I’m afraid I probably wouldn’t be able to sleep worrying about it, as this one in particular would be next to impossible for me to replace! That said, as I mentioned in one of the earlier posts, the thought of downsizing has crossed my mind (like every time I wheel it in/out! Lol!)....the responsibility is overwhelming! :P

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks like you have some ancient sabals all around you as well.  

Yep, guessing they’ve been around quite a while! We’re very fortunate to live in a natural Sabal palm and oak hammock, even cooler in that it used to shelter a Native American population! There apparently used to be mounds here, and I’ve actually found some artifacts in the process of planting some of my palms! I’m honored as a native Floridian to live in an area with such a rich history!  

Sadly, not everyone appreciates these Sabals....have watched several new neighbors clear most of their properties of them.  :(

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

Yep, guessing they’ve been around quite a while! We’re very fortunate to live in a natural Sabal palm and oak hammock, even cooler in that it used to shelter a Native American population! There apparently used to be mounds here, and I’ve actually found some artifacts in the process of planting some of my palms! I’m honored as a native Floridian to live in an area with such a rich history!  

Sadly, not everyone appreciates these Sabals....have watched several new neighbors clear most of their properties of them.  :(

That sucks.  Sabals are a national treasure, up there with anything in North America, including polar bears. 

Edited by topwater

13 minutes ago, topwater said:

That sucks.  Sabals are a national treasure, up there with anything in North America. 

15 minutes ago, topwater said:

That sucks.  Sabals are a national treasure, up there with anything in North America. 

Agreed! They are made to grow here, provide a wonderful canopy to cool things down in summer and protect things in winter, don’t even blink in a hurricane and actually provide a decent windbreak...cleanup can take a bit, but since they’re self cleaning, don’t have to pay anyone to go up and trim them, as many people believe...just all around great palms, IMO! 

On 1/1/2018, 9:39:06, Tracy S said:

Bring it in now. You don't need to move it out in between times. It will be fine in door for 5 to 7 days.

I do feel your pain. Mine is too large to move indoors. I have a heater that I will direct towards the creamic pot. It stays nice and warm at tjw roots but i sure would feel better having it inside. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Meant to ask, Tracy....how cold did you get, and how is your C. renda in the ceramic pot doing after the extended chilliness outdoors? 

Well my C. renda did not make it. Not from this cold spell but from the last one when I forgot to bring it in when it hit the low 40's. It was small but was doing great. Its great getting older, can't remember anything ;).

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

25 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Well my C. renda did not make it. Not from this cold spell but from the last one when I forgot to bring it in when it hit the low 40's. It was small but was doing great. Its great getting older, can't remember anything ;).

Awwww, that’s such a bummer, Pastor Randy. I’m really sorry. I guess the only solace is if it was on the smaller side, maybe a little easier to replace??

I sure hope the rest of your garden did ok. My youngest daughter lives close to you, down there in Ft. Myers, and it sounded as if you guys did ok avoiding freeze/frost this time? 

Thanks Lisa,

My garden did very well, never went below freezing, lowest was 35. I have some minor damage on my most sensitive palms such as Pritchardia pacifica and Areca catechu. That was expected. My C. renda was small so yes it will be easy to replace, just have to remember to bring it in!

7 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Thanks Lisa,

My garden did very well, never went below freezing, lowest was 35. I have some minor damage on my most sensitive palms such as Pritchardia pacifica and Areca catechu. That was expected. My C. renda was small so yes it will be easy to replace, just have to remember to bring it in!

I’m so glad you did ok, poooor lipstick palm aside!  :violin:(I’ve done the same thing...often remember someone I forgot right in the middle of the night! Ugh!) I bet your next one will never be forgotten!  :greenthumb: And I’m sure the Pritchardia and A. catechu will rebound quickly as soon as we hit our gorgeous spring weather! Can’t wait! 

I’ve followed the progress of, Irma’s damage to, and recovery of your garden and it’s quite an epic accomplishment! I’ve even shown photos of your yard to my son, who’s a young pastor in St. Pete, as inspiration for where his and his wife’s blank slate of a yard (first house!) can go with a little good old sweat equity....and maybe just a few $$! Lol! 

Keep up the great work and positivity! 

Thank you Lisa for the kind words about my garden! Great to hear your son is a pastor, I pray for his ministry.  

I started with a blank slate, and it was a lot of fun but a lot of work too. 

God bless!

12 hours ago, CB Lisa said:

Meant to ask, Tracy....how cold did you get, and how is your C. renda in the ceramic pot doing after the extended chilliness outdoors? 

It hit 38 in that part of the garden. I did not have any damage to the lipstick palm. My areaca macrocalyx Marie took about 15% damage but will be fine. It was protected with two heaters but is in th je ground and hard to protect.My dwarf catechu took no damage and I did nothing to protect it.

The worst hit was my non palm big leaf plants.   I forgot about my breadfruit tree (artocarpus altilis) during the first cold snap and it dropped half of its leaves. It had tried to sprout new growth after the first cold snap.I gave it a heater this time and it dropped only one leaf. Also my Macaranga grandifolia, wrecklea ferox, and miles foot fern (angiopteris erecta) were unprotected and took about 50% leaf loss. I think 2 of the 3 will be okay. Not sure on the angiopteris as that plant has never thrived and was ill prepared for the additional stress.

Overall I think I was really lucky on the cold. I just hope we don't have too many more l like that.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Also, my welfia regia took about 75% damage in the first cold snap. It is new to me in December. It was in a pot in my nursery area with heaters. I didn't realize they were that cold sensitive. It was right next to my lemurophoenix an a baby lipstick-neither of which had any damage. 

I bought it inside this time and will try to nurse it back to health. I left the other two plants outside this time and there was no damage.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 1/8/2018, 8:16:50, Tracy S said:

It hit 38 in that part of the garden. I did not have any damage to the lipstick palm. My areaca macrocalyx Marie took about 15% damage but will be fine. It was protected with two heaters but is in th je ground and hard to protect.My dwarf catechu took no damage and I did nothing to protect it.

The worst hit was my non palm big leaf plants.   I forgot about my breadfruit tree (artocarpus altilis) during the first cold snap and it dropped half of its leaves. It had tried to sprout new growth after the first cold snap.I gave it a heater this time and it dropped only one leaf. Also my Macaranga grandifolia, wrecklea ferox, and miles foot fern (angiopteris erecta) were unprotected and took about 50% leaf loss. I think 2 of the 3 will be okay. Not sure on the angiopteris as that plant has never thrived and was ill prepared for the additional stress.

Overall I think I was really lucky on the cold. I just hope we don't have too many more l like that.

The heater in the ceramic pot must have worked! And very interesting that your A. catechu dwarf is ok with no special measures, after Topwater’s took a bit of a beating in his atrium! Wonder if that’s a micro-climate thing or if there’s some variability on sensitivity?

And thank you for indirectly IDing a plant I’d long admired growing ‘wild’ around Hilo, Big Island...Macaranga grandifloia! I wasn’t familiar with that name so looked it up and voila! The mystery plant! :D

• Upvote 1