IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too cold for too long...C. renda?

CB Lisa

Hi all... I need help! I have a large lipstick palm that’s coming inside for three nights starting Wednesday, but until then, we are experiencing mid 50s to low 60s with pretty constant drizzle. Taking votes from all the palm geniuses out there...to bring in now or not to bring in?! It’s super heavy!!! :o (And thank you to the palmtalk friend/genius that already weighed in!)  

Oh, and I forgot to mention the wind...from the north at 25 mph. Pointed a heater toward the large pot but not much good with those winds!!

Mine is inside. Anything below 50 inside it comes. Maybe use a dolly and at least get it in the garage with supplemental heat. Good luck 

• Upvote 1

Can you throw a cloth over it until you bring it in? Below 50, bring inside if possible. Please follow up with a report.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thank you for the quick replies! Kinda hitting the panic button! Lol! Definitely coming in Wednesday before it gets down to 50 but concerned about 55-60 with wind and rain until then. Could lay it down and put tarp over it for now, but it would then be laying on wet pool deck...probably not good either! 

I would bring it in as soon as possible. I have a small one that was doing great, but I forgot to take in a few weeks ago when we hit 40, and I am not sure it will make it. Looks pretty rough.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

So, if I bring it in now, feel like I will need to take it back out during days to get some light (?) as we’re not in the clear temperature wise until Saturday. And like I said, definitely a doozy to move even on the dolly...don’t wanna break the back unnecessarily!!! Lol! Does anyone have experience with one above 50 but rainy and windy???

I’m very sorry to hear about yours, Pastor Randy. I sure hope it pulls through! 

Very much appreciate all your opinions! 

11 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

So, if I bring it in now, feel like I will need to take it back out during days to get some light (?) as we’re not in the clear temperature wise until Saturday. And like I said, definitely a doozy to move even on the dolly...don’t wanna break the back unnecessarily!!! Lol! Does anyone have experience with one above 50 but rainy and windy???

I’m very sorry to hear about yours, Pastor Randy. I sure hope it pulls through! 

Very much appreciate all your opinions! 

Thank you Lisa, and I hope yours has no issues with the cold!

Bring it in now. You don't need to move it out in between times. It will be fine in door for 5 to 7 days.

I do feel your pain. Mine is too large to move indoors. I have a heater that I will direct towards the creamic pot. It stays nice and warm at tjw roots but i sure would feel better having it inside. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thank you, too, Tracy! This one would definitely not be coming in if it were in a ceramic pot...phew! Good luck with yours!

Since the consensus has been to move it in ASAP, I went out, dolly in hand, but temps have actually climbed a couple of degrees. I’m going to try to wait until at least tomorrow and pray like crazy it’ll be ok!!! (That, or I won’t be able to sleep worrying about it and will go out and move it in the middle of the night! :P)

Well hello CB Lisa :lol::wub: :yay:

Not sure if this helps at all due to huge size difference, but my little guy (a bit taller than 12") does just fine indoors for a week! May have even had him indoors for over a week a time or two in the past. Didn't skip a beat!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Well hello to you too, Missi! :D

Thank you for your encouragement! How much light do your babies receive when inside? Part of my concern has been lack of natural light, with sliding doors facing north.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Scott!

So I’m still not seeing any concern about prolonged cool (55-60), wet and windy weather, just bring it in below 50. Just to confirm, does anyone have any experience that says otherwise? I’m hoping it truly is just a temperature issue since that will definitely reduce the days it needs to be moved in and eliminate any question about it’s well being! 

I would not worry about it being inside for a few days, I would definitely worry about it being out in this cold weather.  They certainly do not like temps in the 50's for an extended period of time.

Prolonged cool weather will kill them surely as one cold blast. I kept mine on wheeled dollies on the back lanai and rolled them indoors when tamps fell below 50F. They stayed indoors until nights were above 50 and days above 60 for the foreseeable future. I never exposed them to rain below 60F. Cold and rain together are lethal. If they were mine, I’d have hauled them indoors at the first hint of cold & rain. They are not palms to gamble with. They can’t survive a whole winter outdoors here much less up where you live.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Done! It’s in and I can still walk! Woohoo! 

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragement! This sucker is 12’ tall  so guess I just needed some cheerleaders! :D 

I’ve been on here reading and studying a long time but don’t usually post..like to keep a low profile! Lol! But feel like I know all you Palmtalkers and value your opinions greatly! Thank you again and keep up the great job of educating the rest of us! 

• Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg, just so you know I’m not crazy or negligent with such a valuable palm (or the others not as valuable, at that!), even though we are well north of you, we have a nice little microclimate here. We got down to 55 briefly last night (when I posted the cry for help! Lol!) but then hovered at 57-58 thru the night and have been sitting at 60 since daybreak. I usually err way on the side of caution...sure hope waiting this time wasn’t the wrong call!!! 

• Upvote 1

I find it hard to believe you only reached 55f last night.  It was 40f here next to the Gulf.  Is your thermometer right?  Could already be too late.

Hi Mike...yep, believe that’s correct! Outside thermometer last night agreed with NWS app on my phone which agreed with the lowest low reading today on a digital weather station! I know...it’s weird you could be that much colder than us! I’m usually envious of my son, who lives in St. Pete, for his normally very mild temperatures! 

So let’s certainly hope not too late on the big move inside!!! 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

Hi Mike...yep, believe that’s correct! Outside thermometer last night agreed with NWS app on my phone which agreed with the lowest low reading today on a digital weather station! I know...it’s weird you could be that much colder than us! I’m usually envious of my son, who lives in St. Pete, for his normally very mild temperatures! 

So let’s certainly hope not too late on the big move inside!!! 

I think you guys had wind out of the east last night, hence the reason for the warmer temps, that is going away the next couple days.

41 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

I think you guys had wind out of the east last night, hence the reason for the warmer temps, that is going away the next couple days.

Yes, I believe you’re right... Very thankful for that while it lasts! Apparently made quite the difference! 

Soooo, is anybody else ready for Spring?!? :)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CB Lisa said:

Soooo, is anybody else ready for Spring?!? :)

ME! lol

Maybe @John hovancsek will chime in. He's in Naples, even more inland than me. His in ground lipstick survived the night or two of upper 30s we had several weeks ago! 

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

This weather is making me crazy. All o do is worrie about the palms

Welcome to palm mania. Winter will never have the same meaning for you.

Counting down the days till breezes turn tropical again.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to palm mania. Winter will never have the same meaning for you.

Counting down the days till breezes turn tropical again.

Palm mania and craziness indeed! After declaring myself done with all the moving and protecting, after a brief-ish respite sitting here in the warmth of my house, find myself worrying about the poor little ‘hardy’ guys left out to suffer... May need to making another trip out.....  :blink:

Ahhhhhh, tropical breezes! 

• Upvote 1

Here is the big C. renda that inspired this post, getting some fresh air and water in our brief above-50 time today. Back into the house in just a few! (Hope this works! Newbie to this posting stuff! Lol!) 

1B9F69C7-E40A-4C00-9969-7EE04032BD6E.jpeg

• Upvote 8

Holy cow thats amazing.

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

One Nice. Looks like no screen in that lanai so no wonder it got so tall. When mine reached 9’ tall I sold them - too large & heavy to move anymore.

Meg

Florida

Thank you very much for the compliments! Yes, there IS a screen, and it’s right to the top!  :o 

I have an ongoing internal conflict going whether to let it go and downsize, or try to keep up with the insanity of moving it in and out! It’s my favorite and I do get joy from looking at it each day! Really tough call! 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

One Nice. Looks like no screen in that lanai so no wonder it got so tall. When mine reached 9’ tall I sold them - too large & heavy to move anymore.

Some of us have more common sense than others!!! Lol! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

Thank you very much for the compliments! Yes, there IS a screen, and it’s right to the top!  :o 

I have an ongoing internal conflict going whether to let it go and downsize, or try to keep up with the insanity of moving it in and out! It’s my favorite and I do get joy from looking at it each day! Really tough call! 

I can't wait til mine are that size or can I? I'm in a similar zone to you so eventually i'll be struggling to move it into my greenhouse for winter! lol Good thing my greenhouse is super tall!

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

15 minutes ago, CB Lisa said:

Some of us have more common sense than others!!! Lol! 

I can’t claim too much sense but I’m at a time in my life where forcing my husband to help me move 100s of pounds of potted palms into/out of the House half a dozen times or more each winter is too much strain for us. My husband has incurable cancer and I could never manage them alone. But I had good times with them for a while. Trouble is, when you get into palms, you never imagine one day you might be older, ill, disabled or alone.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

That’s definitely a very

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I can’t claim too much sense but I’m at a time in my life where forcing my husband to help me move 100s of pounds of potted palms into/out of the House half a dozen times or more each winter is too much strain for us. My husband has incurable cancer and I could never manage them alone. But I had good times with them for a while. Trouble is, when you get into palms, you never imagine one day you might be older, ill, disabled or alone.

That’s definitely a heavy load to manage (literally and figuratively) and I pray God gives you both the strength (again, literally and figuratively) for whatever lies ahead. I guess we all just have to adjust as best we can as we go through the seasons in life. My back up plan is miniature orchids!  :D

1 hour ago, Chatta said:

I can't wait til mine are that size or can I? I'm in a similar zone to you so eventually i'll be struggling to move it into my greenhouse for winter! lol Good thing my greenhouse is super tall!

I’m thinking as long as you have a super tall greenhouse, you’re good to go! Grow, baby, grow! Lol! 

I have mine growing in a glass house, temp dropped to 41F for one night. C. renda looks good.  A. catechu dwarf was 50% burned. 

E211F21D-CF4D-4038-9D9C-E496EBC96C44.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, topwater said:

I have mine growing in a glass house, temp dropped to 41F for one night. C. renda looks good.  A. catechu dwarf was 50% burned. 

E211F21D-CF4D-4038-9D9C-E496EBC96C44.jpeg

Wow, that’s pretty interesting! I did bring my A. catechu dwarf into the house w/ the C. renda, just because I also love that one, but had no idea it was equally if not more cold sensitive! I hope it recovers quickly and the C. renda continues to look that good! 

It must have been brutally cold where you are? Is your glasshouse heated? 

Yes, I’m in 9b TX, down by Galveston and it gets plenty cold. The atrium is heated but I forgot to turn it on the first night of the cold front, :wacko:  outdoor temp dropped to 29F that night, 28 the next. The catechu is not as bad as I first thought, but it definitely fared worse that the lipstick.

9A7AFA2B-96D6-4B0B-AB25-D978E0072EF5.jpeg

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

Lisa, welcome to the forum. Your Lipstick palm is very nice and glad to hear it's doing well. I will say, they will go through 40's and do well. I'm not recommending this, but I've grown a couple over the years and experienced this. Where did you buy yours and how log have you had it?

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

6 hours ago, topwater said:

Yes, I’m in 9b TX, down by Galveston and it gets plenty cold. The atrium is heated but I forgot to turn it on the first night of the cold front, :wacko:  outdoor temp dropped to 29F that night, 28 the next. The catechu is not as bad as I first thought, but it definitely fared worse that the lipstick.

9A7AFA2B-96D6-4B0B-AB25-D978E0072EF5.jpeg

What a nice and compact looking little guy! Bummer on forgetting to turn on the heater...hate it when that happens!  ;) Or, maybe worse, when you do turn it on, and a circuit breaker trips or something! :( All in all, given your temps outside, it doesn’t look too bad, maybe just some fairly minor cosmetic damage it will grow out of? Either way, really good to know it needs the same or better protection than the lipstick palm, and therefore, relieved it will never grow as big! Lol!