Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sabal minor seed viability

5 posts in this topic

I had some seeds I bought this last January and college was so hectic I did not get around to planting them. Can anyone tell me how long Sabal Minor seed will remain viable for? I figure they were probably already a year old when I purchased them. 

21 minutes ago, siege2050 said:

I had some seeds I bought this last January and college was so hectic I did not get around to planting them. Can anyone tell me how long Sabal Minor seed will remain viable for? I figure they were probably already a year old when I purchased them. 

Its good for years as long as bugs didnt eat them.  

4 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Its good for years as long as bugs didnt eat them.  

Thanks, that's good to hear. I did buy some once with some kind of weevil in them that we don't have around here so I know what you mean by bugs. 

They are in virtually all sabal seeds so you really have to watch them.  I always treat with a powder insecticide after I clean the seeds.

you can even throw them in the fridge for a long long time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Sabal minor 'McCurtain' Street View
      By PalmTreeDude
      I looked around southern McCurtain county, Oklahoma and found some palms on street view in Google Maps. It is like an online Easter egg hunt!
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6794725,-94.5471893,3a,32.8y,243.65h,71.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syCHi6aNfxLcuOPDDAdd91Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7219178,-94.5989145,3a,32.8y,109.2h,74.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV1-iKm5SXPOZPQibhyLT_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.722279,-94.5988984,3a,18.9y,251.4h,70.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC_H9vm7hG0idLWmMHTjHwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    • Sabal minor Chipola Dwarf: another super dwarf Sabal
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last week I received seedlings from yet another super dwarf Sabal minor. This one is Chipola Dwarf from Marianna in NW FL. One of my seedlings is starting to go palmate. This palm is a bit larger than the better known Bountstown Dwarf and Wakulla Dwarf. It is a bit larger than those two palms (18" high x 30" wide). Adults can reach 5' high x 2' wide. All three dwarfs can be found within 50-75 miles of Tallahassee and SE, SW and NW of it. I've been looking for this one for quite a while without success. I moved them into 2g pots. Right now they don't look particularly distinctive but I look forward to growing them. These tiny Sabal minor dwarfs have promise for cold winter climates and can be easily protected. I know of someone in the Midwest who grows Blountstown in a pot and had them seed successfully. Very cool little palms that should be more easily available. However, tiny palms don't produce bumper crops of seeds. My largest Blountstown has not produced even 100 seeds in a crop. This year, probably because of our severe drought, it has not flowered at all. Enjoy.
      Sabal minor Chipola Dwarf

• New Arrivals
      By kinzyjr
      Got 10 washingtonia robusta as a "free gift".  After 2 weeks, every single one germinated.  I ordered some phoenix theophrasti seeds from another vendor.  What arrived looked more like dactylifera, with the elongated seeds ~2cm with pointy edges.  I decided to keep them and get theophrasti seed from another source.  So far, 5 of them have germinated and are sending up their first leaf.  I picked a few sabal minor seeds from a blue plant at a botanical garden, and one of the seeds has just broke the ground.  Enjoy!

• Do I Buy S. Minor 'McCurtian' or a "Normal" S. Minor?
      By PalmTreeDude
      I was originally planning on ordering some Sabal minor 'McCurtian' to plant here soon, but, I have read that Sabal minor 'McCurtian'defoliate quicker than other Sabal minor ecotypes. I am on the boarder of zone 7a/7b in Virginia, so wouldn't any Sabal minor be "bulletproof" here? 
    • Sabal minor At Their Range Limits?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Anyone have any pictures of native Sabal minor at just about their fattest northern ranges? I want to see more Sabal minors at their limits, inspired by this awesome thread: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52756-sabal-minor-in-habitat-mccurtain-county-ok/