IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ocean city may have come to their senses!

mdsonofthesouth

Well first one I have seen in Ocean city proper. Going to keep and eye out for it every year and see how it does. Its right up next to the building facing south so should have an ideal setting. Might help it out with some ninja fertilizer treatments given OCs record of not giving a damn about plants.

20171231_164728.thumb.jpg.45fe8e2c636841

• Upvote 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Heres a pindo unsheltered that I'll see if its still around in spring and summer.

20171231_165041(0).thumb.jpg.2e316d7ebd5

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

That size of pindo surely isn't going to make it through this winter. They need to get twice that size to be 100% zone 8 hardy.

3 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That size of pindo surely isn't going to make it through this winter. They need to get twice that size to be 100% zone 8 hardy.

Yeah ill still keep an eye out for it. Some of the queens (maybe 5%) have green and about the same amount of pygmy dates do too but they will all surely die as 99.9% do here.

There is a pindo much like @Laaz posted in the "dwarf" thread near my house in a colder area than oc thats got some decent size and its doing well. Still need to talk to the people who own the nursery to get a good look at it.

But the trachycarpus makes me very happy and I hope they catch on so the. The streets could be lined with them!

On 12/31/2017, 5:38:19, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

They def wont make it.  OC, MD is a zone 7B, not 8A.   Pindos in OC, MD are a stretch as are anything other than windmills, Sabal Minor, or needles.