Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ocean city may have come to their senses!

5 posts in this topic

Well first one I have seen in Ocean city proper. Going to keep and eye out for it every year and see how it does. Its right up next to the building facing south so should have an ideal setting. Might help it out with some ninja fertilizer treatments given OCs record of not giving a damn about plants.

20171231_164728.thumb.jpg.45fe8e2c636841

Heres a pindo unsheltered that I'll see if its still around in spring and summer.

20171231_165041(0).thumb.jpg.2e316d7ebd5

That size of pindo surely isn't going to make it through this winter. They need to get twice that size to be 100% zone 8 hardy.

3 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That size of pindo surely isn't going to make it through this winter. They need to get twice that size to be 100% zone 8 hardy.

Yeah ill still keep an eye out for it. Some of the queens (maybe 5%) have green and about the same amount of pygmy dates do too but they will all surely die as 99.9% do here.

There is a pindo much like @Laaz posted in the "dwarf" thread near my house in a colder area than oc thats got some decent size and its doing well. Still need to talk to the people who own the nursery to get a good look at it.

But the trachycarpus makes me very happy and I hope they catch on so the. The streets could be lined with them!

On 12/31/2017, 5:38:19, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

They def wont make it.  OC, MD is a zone 7B, not 8A.   Pindos in OC, MD are a stretch as are anything other than windmills, Sabal Minor, or needles. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• How many fronds does trachycarpus fortunei put off in a year?
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Just curious as to how many fronds yall see put out each year. So far Im up to 7-8 depending on the tree for the year. Seems to be an easy recovery palm so far. What do yall typically see each year?
    • Good find at the big box!
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Returned the dead palm that was sold to me with more than half its roots gone bad and paid a little extra for a much larger specimen! Couldn't be happier, wish I could afford to get the other 2 but oh well. Wife woulda killed me had I brought more than just the replacement lol.

• Finally planted the sagos and update on potted trachycarpus
      By mdsonofthesouth
      So as the title says I finally planted my sago palms about a week or so ago and hoping for the best, but planning on the worst. Pretty much dont expect them to live, and at the very best they will flush and defoliate until they do die. Either way I needed them out of pots as I'm not a fan of potted plants. Also my new trachycarpus that I potted up recently is still declining. The only hope is the healthy looking green spear. Sure would hate to have to return it... All my other potted up to be planted later palms are looking wonderful! Although sadly plantation might have to wait til 2019 as the addition isn't looking to be done soon enough for my latest date. 

• In limbo palms, cycads and yucca
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Here is the curling trachycarpus, dying yucca gloriosa and others. Can't wait to put them in the ground!

• Neglected Trachycarpus fortunei growth rate in Maryland
      By mdsonofthesouth
      So I posted this palm in another thread and just looked on google maps per a PM on here thanks @MDPalm! The first picture is july 2014, last is from mid to late December. Growth rate isnt terribly fast, but OC is NOTORIUS for neglecting any and all landscaping (especially "exotics"). Judging by the size its been here for a while, and easily escaped my eyes for years as its of the beaten path, unless you were big on car washes while on vacation. I am not lol.

July 2014

December 2017